Sponsored by:

Sub went out out of nowhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-13, 09:54 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub went out out of nowhere

Last night i started my car up and was Bumpin the sub hard from the get go, without any warming up. Probably wasn't the smartest idea. The sub went out about 3 min later. Today i tried to play music and the sub is still out. I checked the amp and it's being powered. Checked all the connections and they all look connected and correct. No idea what happened. My sub and amp never had any problems before. Anyone have any ideas of what could have happened?
Old 12-23-13, 09:27 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

The fuse breaker didn't break when i checked, so I'm assuming the fuse between the amp and the battery is still fine, especially the fact that the light to show the amp is being powered still lights up. no idea what happened...
Old 12-25-13, 08:55 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmm..... check voltage on your RCA's (using a voltmeter) should have some sort of voltage on'em to show they're working properly.

If you have a buddy with an amp, borrow his and test your system out. See if the amp you have has bad outputs. Sometimes amps can still show power but won't play because you blew the amp (freak accidents but it happens).

Check the subs on your buddy's car, plug it in and see if that works.

You can tell a sub is blown (if you did blow it) if it makes a scratchy noise when you push the sub in and out.
Old 01-01-14, 01:01 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Sub went out out of nowhere-20131226_154145.jpg
Saw one of the two connections crooked, which was also cracking the plastic back piece (whatever you call it). Went to the audio shop that originally installed my sub and amp and they said this is a common problem with jl subs. So fortunately it will be a quick, cheap, and easy fix. Funny earlier in the week i went to a shop in Astoria Queens off of 21st Street, near 29th Street. They only checked the amp and saw the messed up back of the box, said my sub is blown and that i need to replace it..

EDIT* Sub is blown

Last edited by Lex Luga; 01-22-14 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-01-14, 01:02 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry picture is upside down.
Old 01-22-14, 07:25 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so my sub is blown. I went back to the original place I got the amp and sub installed at: Sound Concept in Nanuet NY and I could not believe what happened.

So i went in there for an appointment thinking my sub wasn't blown as one of their workers stated and that it was only the sub enclosure cup that needed to be replaced. Meanwhile i was sitting down waiting for it to be fixed as I overhear the owner talk to another customer and insult me while I'm sitting 15 feet away. He stated: "yeh this guy came in with stuff he bought from the internet and now he's getting it fixed. Yeh the stuff he bought is 5h it, it really is trash." (Meanwhile I bought a JL 10w7 which from my research was one of the most powerful 10inch subs at the time hence the $700 retail price. I did go a little cheaper with the Alpine MRP-M100. And i bought a custom sealed enclosure that was specifically made for the JL10w7). I then looked up to see if he was in fact insulting me right then and there, and I saw him looking right at me then looked away. I was extremely heated and should have just left, but I thought the problem would be fixed, the end, and never come back. 15 minutes later his worker comes out and says my sub is in fact toast, but it could be shipped to JL, fixed, and then reinstalled for like $275. To me this wasn't even a question. There was no way I was giving this douchebag of an owner any more business even if I have to travel to another city or state away. After hearing this, they still installed the sub enclosure cup and charged me $60, knowing the sub was blown, scumbags. This owner had the audacity to insult a returning customer for the reason of being spiteful that I received some advice from then, did research on my own, then purchased goods from the internet, and wanted to them to install it? How the h3ll do business owners like this last? I was never so disrespected as a returning customer so much in my life.

BOTTOM LINE* NEVER GO TO SOUND CONCEPT in Nanuet, NY. The owner is a true spiteful scumbag, piece of ****.

Last edited by Lex Luga; 01-22-14 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-12-14, 03:35 PM
chrcrou26
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Scum bag for sure....I was a Memphis JL and MTX dealer installer for yrs and first advice I can give you is always call the company first....manufacturers will always help you before a shop will....now is the shop gonna like you when the manufacturer makes them fix the problem no.....lol but **** heads are a lot easier to deal with when you've went over their head and cost them time and money rather then steal from you...60 bucks? I'd have told them to **** off....what did they charge 10 bucks a second for labor lol