Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

LCD/Nav installation with stock look?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 05:35 PM
gsshopper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCD/Nav installation in SC with stock look?

I have a 99 SC400 (recently purchased) and would like to add a nav system without replacing the factory head unit - the factory system produces pretty decent sound, and I like the quality plastic and large buttons on the stock head unit and the way it matches the heater/AC controls visually.

I know I could have GPS in my car with a handheld, portable, or PDA-based solution, but I'd rather have something permanently installed.

One possibility that has occurred to me is to install the GPS unit out of sight (under the dash, under a seat, etc.) and connect it to a concealed LCD mounted on a sliding mechanism in place of the (useless) dash cup holder. Maybe use a spring-loaded latch to pop it out and a stopped swivel on the sliding bracket so it could be turned 45 degrees or so to the right, so it faces the driver.

It would be cool to have this motorized, and very nice if the GPS connected to the LCD supported a touch screen interface, but both of these are probably beyond my budget (the only aftermarket touch screen unit I'm aware of is the megabucks system from Kenwood). Pioneer makes a pretty good (non touch screen) alternative, so that's what I'm considering.

I've done a search for this on CL but couldn't find anyone who has installed a GPS without replacing the head unit. Would appreciate advice on possible options from those of you who have done this or possibly thought about it longer than I have.

TIA,

Jim O

Last edited by gsshopper; 01-31-03 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-04-03, 11:36 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

i thought of the same installation that you mentioned with the cupholder,but could not be done due to the fact that there is no space behind the stock radio for those attachments. i did a custom install to my rear view mirror/wrapped it stock leather and the end result.....very stock looking appearance and full functionality- dvd gps navigation and rear view color camera for rear sight.
Attached Thumbnails LCD/Nav installation with stock look?-navigation-shot.jpg  
Old 02-04-03, 11:39 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

rear view camera shot....
Attached Thumbnails LCD/Nav installation with stock look?-rear-view-camera.jpg  
Old 02-04-03, 11:41 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

installation(back of monitor)
Attached Thumbnails LCD/Nav installation with stock look?-rear-of-camera.jpg  
Old 02-08-03, 06:04 PM
gsshopper
Driver School Candidate

NextLevelCoupe, thanks for your posts. Your LCD installation looks very clean, along the lines of what I'm looking for. I had considered a fold-down install where the overhead lighting / sunroof controls are, but never considered replacing the rearview with a camera, as part of a GPS install.

Two questions: (1) do you find that the larger size of the LCD (vs. the original rearview) obstructs your view? (2) does the camera rearview work as well as the original mirror, particularly in low-light conditions?

Thanks again,

Jim O
Old 02-09-03, 10:29 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

the size of the monitor really doesn't obstruct my view while i drive the placement of it is really positioned kind of high and is adjustable(side to side movement) same range of motion as the original mirror,and secondly,the rear view camera is actually much better than the original mirror,because the camera is a wide angle view camera and allows me to see all 3 lanes of traffic and really don't need to used the side mirrors (only for blindspots)parking is perfect!and i never have to clean the rear window. in the rain,snow as long as the camera is clear of water,which usually runs off the camera -my view is perfect.the only drawback is at night,but you basically get the same view as you would a standard mirror at night.not a problem-you have side mirrors to remedy that problem.