Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 12:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Vaistech iVic-i Review (Touching iVic-d too)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 08:14 AM
welderant0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you are in the music player, have you found a way to get to the source menu without stopping the ivic app? The help feature says to press the upper left corner to get there, but that doesn't work.
Old 02-19-14, 08:19 AM
welderant0
Driver School Candidate

When you are using the music player, have you found a way to get to the source menu without stopping the ivic app? The help function says to press the top left corner to get there, but that doesn't work.
Old 02-19-14, 10:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it works, you just have to really tab the corner. sometimes it takes me 2 tries but i get to the source menu pretty easily
Old 04-23-14, 03:57 PM
pickebicke
Driver School Candidate

hi all, can anyone tell me if you can see the traffic on the maps from the iphone on the screen?

and while in the ivic, if i go in to reverse on the car, will the backup camera come on the screen like normal and once out of reverse does it go back to the ivic screen?

thank you in advance.
Old 04-23-14, 04:36 PM
gritty
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it is programmed right, the backup cam will work, but you have to press the audio button to go back to ivic. Not sure about the traffic on maps.
Old 03-10-16, 07:11 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed my VaisTech iVIC-5i in my 2007 IS250 and thought I should share some tips for anyone considering this. So first off like a dummy I plugged it into the wrong plug and used the hazard lights connector instead of the audio one like it says in the manual. They both fit perfectly into the female end of the connector they give you so watch out for that. The red box in the picture below was what I plugged into the first try and made my hazard lights go off, the green box is the right plug to use.

I found a great spot to place this unit under the glove box. There is a plastic flat cover on the bottom of the glovebox, the first thing above your legs if you are sitting. This plastic cover with the light can be removed and that white foam pad can be taken out. You can velcro the Viastech to the bottom of the blower and line up the heatsink on the Viastech up with that hole in the center of the plastic cover. It fits perfectly in this gap and the plastic cover hides the Viastech while giving it air for the heatsink and is VERY easy to access should you have to troubleshoot the unit in the future.

If you want a completely seamless experience, get an iPod Touch that is on a jailbreakable version of iOS or buy it already jailbroken and make sure to install "Activator". In this app you can make the iPod open the iVIC app as soon as it gets power so you don't have to reach for the glove box every time you start the car. I had set my iPod to lock the screen when there was no power going to it but this caused problems so you don't want to do that.

Hope these tips help anyone else trying to do this mod!
Attached Thumbnails Vaistech iVic-i Review (Touching iVic-d too)-important-1.jpg   Vaistech iVic-i Review (Touching iVic-d too)-img_5418.jpg  

Last edited by chriso5573; 05-01-16 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Didn't mention what car I installed on
The following users liked this post:
squid (12-18-16)
Old 03-15-16, 05:32 AM
andrewkaru
Driver School Candidate

Default Please give me instructions how to install in Lexus RX450h

Please please I have Lexus RX450h 2000. Europe. Could you please send detailed instructions how to install the device in my car? Possibly a video. Thank you very much for your help
Old 03-15-16, 10:10 AM
chriso5573
Driver

Here you go. Hope this helps. Depending on what kind of radio you have it will be the green boxes that you plug into, not the red box. The red box is the flasher wire. If you plug into the wrong one your emergency lights will start to blink. All you have to do is turn of your car and plug it into the only other place it will fit and you will be fine. I thought I fried mine when I saw the emergency lights blinking but once I connected it properly, it worked perfectly.

Look up how to disassemble your glove box and see if there is room behind it. Make sure your cables are zipped and secure so they don't come loose eventually or you will have to take everything apart to re-secure them. Also another tip, sup tie the HDMI cable to the A/V connector so it doesn't come loose. You might want to drill a small hole in the side of your glove box to push the lighting cable through. You won't have much room, only about 3-4 inches so I recommend getting a lighting extension cable that supports audio and video like this one
Amazon.com: Lightning Extension Cable (2 foot Black) for iPhone 6S, 6, Plus and 5/5S/5C; Pass Video, Data, Audio Through Male to Female 8-pin Cable. dockXtender for Lightning by CableJive.: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Lightning Extension Cable (2 foot Black) for iPhone 6S, 6, Plus and 5/5S/5C; Pass Video, Data, Audio Through Male to Female 8-pin Cable. dockXtender for Lightning by CableJive.: Computers & Accessories
Attached Thumbnails Vaistech iVic-i Review (Touching iVic-d too)-screen-shot-2016-03-15-at-10.02.47-am.png   Vaistech iVic-i Review (Touching iVic-d too)-s-l500.jpg  
Old 03-15-16, 04:10 PM
andrewkaru
Driver School Candidate

Hello thank you very much.I am afraid I need much more detailed explanation.I am new to this and I am not sure what part of my car are you dis playing here.please let me know how to disassemble step-by-step if possible or direct me somewhere where I can read about it

Originally Posted by chriso5573
Here you go. Hope this helps. Depending on what kind of radio you have it will be the green boxes that you plug into, not the red box. The red box is the flasher wire. If you plug into the wrong one your emergency lights will start to blink. All you have to do is turn of your car and plug it into the only other place it will fit and you will be fine. I thought I fried mine when I saw the emergency lights blinking but once I connected it properly, it worked perfectly.

Look up how to disassemble your glove box and see if there is room behind it. Make sure your cables are zipped and secure so they don't come loose eventually or you will have to take everything apart to re-secure them. Also another tip, sup tie the HDMI cable to the A/V connector so it doesn't come loose. You might want to drill a small hole in the side of your glove box to push the lighting cable through. You won't have much room, only about 3-4 inches so I recommend getting a lighting extension cable that supports audio and video like this one Amazon.com: Lightning Extension Cable (2 foot Black) for iPhone 6S, 6, Plus and 5/5S/5C; Pass Video, Data, Audio Through Male to Female 8-pin Cable. dockXtender for Lightning by CableJive.: Computers & Accessories
Old 03-15-16, 04:17 PM
andrewkaru
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chriso5573

Look up how to disassemble your glove box and see if there is room behind it. Make sure your cables are zipped and secure so they don't come loose eventually or you will have to take everything apart to re-secure them. Also another tip, sup tie the HDMI cable to the A/V connector so it doesn't come loose. You might want to drill a small hole in the side of your glove box to push the lighting cable through. You won't have much room, only about 3-4 inches so I recommend getting a lighting extension cable that supports audio and video like this one Amazon.com: Lightning Extension Cable (2 foot Black) for iPhone 6S, 6, Plus and 5/5S/5C; Pass Video, Data, Audio Through Male to Female 8-pin Cable. dockXtender for Lightning by CableJive.: Computers & Accessories
Old 03-17-16, 11:22 PM
chriso5573
Driver

No worries. I know it's a little scary the first time you start taking your interior apart you want to know what steps to follow. Since I don't have the same car as you I can't tell you steps based on my own experience but here is a thread that does an amazing job of detailing the process. Read through and look at the pdf installation steps for the ML+ installation. The iVIC system is what came after ML+ so they are very very similar just the iVIC should be easier to install since it has less cables to connect. Best of luck and I hope you love your iVIC system as much as I love mine

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...and-radio.html
Old 03-19-16, 07:13 AM
andrewkaru
Driver School Candidate

Default Please maybe more info for Lexus RX450h

Please maybe anybody here has more info detailed about Lexus RX450h. Or where is a detailed explanation in the manual for mounting the new unit that I am about to order.

By the way on their webpage there is something like "Product disontinued"?

Last edited by andrewkaru; 03-20-16 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-20-16, 06:16 PM
andrewkaru
Driver School Candidate

Is this the same product?
Old 03-21-16, 08:32 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same product, but the iVIC-D models are for Android phones. The iVIC-i models are for Apple devices.
Old 06-26-16, 12:24 AM
Wallstrt84
Driver School Candidate

Default Installation of iVic-5i in 2007 GS350 AWD (2016) - iOS 9.3.2

Cheers/Greetings/G'Day/Sup!? to All,

iPhone / iOS Compatibility

New here. Just did an installation of the Vaistech iVic-5i in my '07 GS350 AWD yesterday. I have, for the record, an iPhone 6s+ (64GB) with the most up-to-date OS installed (iOS 9.3.2). The 2014 version of the iVic app I downloaded from the Apple App Store DOES work with the latest phone and iOS as of today (6.26.2016 or 26/6/2016 for the rest of the world ).

How I Fit the iVic Control Unit
Though it is mentioned on Page 1 by one member, I can confirm that in order to fit the iVic-5i control unit, due to its size, it very likely must go inside the console passenger-side carpet between the head unit and glove compartment. Disconnect the small strap which is secured with Velcro between the passenger and driver-side "console" carpets and pull the carpet towards the passenger door. You will find a foam mold attached to the length of the carpet itself. I used a box-cutter to do detail work, but you can actually use brute strength (not too much ) and pull most of it off without too much fanfare.

Grounding the *****!
I grounded to the larger vertical metal support that sits at that very point. It is one of the main structural supports for the center head unit console. It bolts directly to the chassis. The other ground is tied into one of the screws on the side of the iVic-5i unit. There is one screw on each side. I have the side with LEDs and switch facing down to allow the heat sink to sit facing the console/headunit/driver (if you will). I used terminal ring connectors and 10-gauge to make my own ground. The side of the body ground doesn't require wire modification if you use 10-gauge yourself. HOWEVER, you must reduce the stripped wire on the iVic ground-side if you use that tiny screw (#0 PH ) to ground it to the chassis. I saw no other option other than to modify the iVic in some way that seemed unwise. Reducing the wire meant unwinding the strands of the wire until the diameter was maybe 1/6 of the original diameter.

Where Does The HDMI-Lightning-Apple Digital AV Adapter Terminate for End User???
I ran the HDMI/Lightning cables that are the output of the iVic-5i setup up the center console area. This requires removing everything you see in various videos, but also the control panel for the heated/cooled seats and performance setting (Power/Snow/etc.). It's EASY. You pull up along the edges where you can get good purchase and it pops up no problem. Disconnect the three (3) connectors and you're In Like Flint!

I then removed all contents from the lower and upper-sections of the center console arm rest and you will find the panel inside has a door at the bottom. It's tight but you'll feel the separation when you run your fingers along the bottom. I drilled into it to run my cables (more on that below) but I also drilled to pop it out. DON'T do this! There is a small hole at the front-side (side closest to windshield/windscreen/front of car/engine) that is notched to allow you to pry it up. A 90 degree pick should do. Get the panel up and then tear the flimsy plastic and thin-*** insulation to gain access to the wires you've run under all the plastic housing.
  1. Fit-and-Finish - To make things look slightly more factory, I drilled two large holes next to each other that were just big enough to fit the HDMI connector through. I purchased an HDMI with a fatter head but you'll need to drill sizeable holes probably no matter what. One larger hole would obviously work but I did the two side-by-side as I didn't have a drill bit to accommodate the size of the HDMI (the Lightning cable will NOT be the problem as it is so small in relative terms to the HDMI).
  2. Pull the cables through and slide the panel back in place, connect the Apple Digital AV connector and you're in business.
Recommendations for the Apple Digital AV Adapter
Everything works well for me, but I purchased an extension for the Apple Lightning connection into the iPhone when I came in from the install. Why? Well, the connection into the Apple Digital AV Adapter is very, very sensitive and if it takes any pressure I found the iVic had a seizure and took a second to recover. It's shorting out a bit. Blame Apple for a piece-of-**** adapter but there is none better from my research so buy the Apple one and hope yours isn't a dud. I digress . The problem with the adapter is that the termination to the iPhone is only 2.5 inches or 5cm or so and it's too tight to not put tensions on the HDMI/Lightning side. So, I intend to do some modification to the HDMI/Lightning side of the adapter. I will probably use electrical tape and some small zip ties to secure the connectors to the adapter as tightly as possible and maybe wedge something between the HDMI and Lightning connectors so they don't bend in towards each other or out away from each other. I'm telling you, more than a degree of flex on the HDMI and it starts having signal issues. After I make these security adjustments, the female end of the Lightning extension cable (found on Amazon - only one option I found with a decent rating - so buy that one I guess ) will go on the Lightning-side of the Apple Digital AV Adapter and the male end will become the new "end" of the system. I feel that this will allow for lots of movement potential and the end user(s) will be able to man-handle the iPhone/iPad/iDevice and suffer no issues as no tension will be on the overly sensitive Apple Digital AV Adapter. I cannot promise it will work, BUT I will modify the post if I have trouble. So, if you are reading this after I receive the extension (after 6/28/2016 or 28/6/2016) then assume that it worked. Yay!

Update on 7/2/2016 (or 2/7/2016 for the world readers out there!)
- Regarding the Apple Lightning Extension----It works--but there is a catch....So, when you connect the extension and power on the system, your head unit, wake your phone and open the iVic app, the only thing that will happen is that the power or charging battery notification will light and sound as if you plugged the iPhone into a normal charger or computer. Then, your music may play but you'll get no video connection and the chain in the bottom corner of the iVic app will not be connected. This "chain" represents the state of connectivity between the iPhone and the iVic control unit and the head unit. Connect the Apple Digital AV adapter directly and everything works. Connect it via extension and you get nothing or sound only. So, what do you do?! Well, I made some educated guesses as it to what might fix it and I found the solution! Connect everything directly to the Apple Digital AV Adapter. Get the whole system to operate as intended...now, extension in hand, disconnect the phone and adapter and reconnect the extension cable between them. Once you do this, the "chain" will connect (or has for me the 20+ times I've tested this--which I've done for the past 4 days) and you'll have full operation. Disconnect the extension at the Apple Digital AV Adapter and you MUST go through this process again, or else you get nothing or sound only. Note that disconnecting from the iPhone is absolutely fine and I have had no issues with this. It works great! I could go into detail as to my theories as to what is happening but I will not. It doesn't matter and I'm likely wrong anyway

Regarding the fastening of the Apple Digital AV Adapter to the HDMI and Lightning cables leading from the iVic-5i
-I purchased 6 inch (approx. 15.25cm) zip-ties off of Amazon. They are thinner then longer cables (obviously) and I thought this would be a benefit. I feel that it was. However, the length wasn't long enough to make it around the body of the Apple Digital AV Adapter and the HDMI cable I purchased--so I joined two together and I was in business. Use some common sense here. If you get lost, write me here and I'll do my best to explain my methods. I didn't take pictures (Sorry) but really I just did everything I could to keep those cables as tight to the adapter as possible. I then wrapped everything tightly with electrical tape and it seems to be pretty strong. Not impervious. Not without concern for shorting---but 1,000 times better then just plugging in and hoping-for-the-best!

I will also note that I made several adjustments to the sound and picture settings on the unit to get the on-screen controls to be visible and the sound level to be similar to that of the other sources. It was too dim, and quite a bit more quiet than CD/radio playback when left to default settings. I found this to be dangerous if the unit ever shorted and went to a CD or FM radio channel as a result as the sound would be deafening in comparison. After adjustments were made, I am VERY VERY VERY happy with the results. The visual interface is NOT perfect, but it is quite cool when it plays nice I also feel the sound is quite stellar---especially with the Mark Levinson sound package. CHEERS!!!

=======================

I will say that my luck/patience/self-confidence/you-name-it were all tested on this installation. I'm just finding my way into the DIYer world of automobiles. I've done 3rd party head unit installs and electronics since I was 16 (32 today actually ) but this was more challenging to figure out because only so much is defined by the manual (NOT MUCH) and so YOU have to figure things out. YouTube videos helped and so did this thread. So, I'm here to give back and hope this all helps someone out there. Best-of-luck. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them if you do.

Last edited by Wallstrt84; 07-02-16 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Follow-up to initial installation notes :)

Quick Reply: Vaistech iVic-i Review (Touching iVic-d too)