Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 12:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Vaistech iVic-i Review (Touching iVic-d too)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 05:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Vaistech iVic-i Review (Touching iVic-d too)

Integration of smartphones with car infotainment system is getting pretty fancy these days. Over the years Vaistech has come up with different innovation solutions, from satellite to iPod and most recently with Apple and Android systems.

This is a review of their latest iVic-i Apple iOS integration system, available for 5th and 6th generation navigation system. The Vaistech iVic-i is basically replaces the discontinued ML+ system and by any means, this is quite a big update.

Product Content

The unit with all the harnesses

Since these are literally like mini computers, the iVic-i brain is not small. It measures around 6x4x1.5. The package comes with the plug and play radio harness and blue digital video cable. To ensure solid installation, Vaistech also includes bracket and zip-ties so you can secure the cable with the unit, from my experience this is especially helpful when you try to conceal the unit in tight space. Because of the extensive instruction manual, Vaistech has switched to CD instead of printed copies but you can view them on their website too.

The unit is of very high quality just like the rest of their lineup, the unit is very sturdy and in the manual it states clearly what each connector is for and also what area to keep clear (heat sink).

What’s not included with the package is the Apple digital video lighting cable, Apple lightning charging cable, and regular HDMI cable. You will need to purchase those separately.

Installation

To install the iVic-i, you will need to access the back of the radio unit (the radio harness) as well as the navigation screen unit (digital video connector). I am pretty experienced with this already so it didn’t take me long, but it also depends on vehicle and how comfortable you are working on cars.

The overall installation is very straight forward and noticeably simpler than the ML+ (fewer cables). You will need to program the unit according to your vehicle, but it’s just one time setup so it’s not a big deal.

iVic-i modes of operation

Mode menu setup

Simplified / customized mode selection

Once the unit is recognized and you see the startup / setup screen, you will need to connect your iPhone to the iVic-i through BT, crucial for control purposes. Moreover, you will need to go to Apple app store and download the Vaistech iVic app as well (free).

iVic app

Integration / Functions

Once everything is setup correctly, you can now enjoy this amazing unit. With the iVic app running, the screen displays the music player, which is a more fine-tuned version of the one in ML+. ML+ always suffered in terms of control where you could only use the controls on the right hand side, but with the iVic-i, now you can touch the buttons directly, making it very intuitive to jump between playlists, artists, songs, and albums. Graphic is also a lot more refined than that in the ML+ with a more modern look.

Music player, able to display foreign language

Music player is only a small part of the iVic-i suite. With a touch on the screen, another screen pops up and now you have access to 4 other features: contacts, calendar, weather, and maps.

App menu

You won’t have to transfer your contacts from the phone to the factory navigation system, iVic-i directly accesses that on the phone and displays all the details on the screen. Calendar mirrors all the details you have on your phone for quick access.

Phone contacts

Calendar app

Weather app is very clear and I particular like all the graphics. The map function is somewhat redundant (considering most cars already have factory navigation), but it’s still very nice nonetheless.

Map app

I don’t have particular Internet radio app on my phone, but if you do, the system also allows you to steam radio. There might be some limitations on text displays and controls, but the integration is there.

Video playback from your iPhone is a bit tricky though, you can’t do it in the APP mode and have to switch over to the HDMI mode, which is basically mirroring your iPhone. You will then have to go to your iPhone and start the video playback and the video will display full-screen. The video quality is very good since it is all digital. I talked to Vaistech about integrating video playback into the iVic app, it’s probably on the wishlist.

Video playback

Of course, while plugged in, the system will charge the iPhone as well. Keep in mind that with the iVic app running on the phone, the screen will be dimmed but not shut off and that is by design. And if for any reason you need to access the rest of your phone, as soon as the iVic goes into background, iOS disallows feeding and the navigation screen will go to “start your app” icon.

From my experience, the iVic-i is also more stable. With the previous setup, connecting and disconnecting the phones when the system running could sometimes yield undesirable results, but so far with all the testing I have done, the system performs very solidly.

Verdict

The Vaistech ML+ was a major breakthrough when it came to full graphical system integration. However I always felt that the setup was not complete, partly due to the relatively basic interface graphic and most importantly the limited controls.

But with the latest iVic-i, it’s such a different unit and a step up in every way. It’s easier to install, more solid, better graphics, and together with the iVic app the controls become very intuitive now.

And let’s not forget the price. At $400, this is $100 cheaper than the ML+. Together with the other cables you need, you are probably looking at around $460 plus installation. In my opinion, if you have 5th and 6th generation navigation system and have no or even basic integration system, the iVic-i is totally worth it. If you already have the ML+, the iVic-i is still a very nice update though it becomes a tougher call.

Installation Tips
- pay attention to the digital video cable, you cannot pinch or bend the wire too much
- take advantage of the included bracket to tie down the digital video and HDMI cable. This avoids the cables from getting loose and prevents the video / graphics from having issues
- test your system once all the cables in place and brain located to make sure there is no noise in graphics
- iPhone 4S will work on iVic-i, however it’s slow and also has some other limitation. Recommended to have at least the iPhone 5
- to make programming the unit easier, turn on the beeping function on your navigation, otherwise you might not know if the unit is programmed correctly or not
- before connecting the radio harness, make sure both dip switches for programming is on the DOWN position. Once connected, set them according to instruction

Operation Tips
- If you want adjust the treble and base in iVic mode, choose MP3 emulation as the source, do your adjustment, and then press and hold SCAN until it goes back to graphical mode
- if you start the car with iPhone plugged in but the iVic app NOT running, the system will still pick up from where it left off last time and continue the song playback. The screen will just show “start the app” icon. This is convenient if you only care about songs playing without details on screen

Related iVic-d Installation Tips
- setup is a bit more complicated because you need to setup the screen and cursor position (unless your phone is already on the preset list)
- be very careful on choosing the MHL adapter, you want to make sure you get one that works perfectly for your phone, otherwise you can be debugging a few problems at the same time
Old 02-03-14, 07:41 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice review
Old 02-03-14, 08:07 PM
vietzboi87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn I just installed my isimple and now I see this. Bad timing wish I would of seen this earlier.
Old 02-05-14, 05:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

thanks for the kind words. here's an official video vaistech just released today

Old 02-07-14, 08:01 PM
welderant0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you show a picture of where you mounted the unit? I have an 07 GS350 and I'm looking for a good place to mount mine. Thanks
Old 02-08-14, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

on the gx470 i mounted it below the passenger seat behind the nav unit

the gs350 is trickier, there isn't any straight forward good spot that i know of. what i do is behind the carpet on passenger seat foot well up close to the bottom of glove box. there are foam, i cut out an area for the unit to rest on
Old 02-08-14, 08:08 AM
james0076s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by welderant0
Can you show a picture of where you mounted the unit? I have an 07 GS350 and I'm looking for a good place to mount mine. Thanks
I have the ivic for Android, I think it's the same size as the ivic-i. I mounted my unit under the glove box, right above the plastic cover.
Old 02-08-14, 08:51 AM
welderant0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
on the gx470 i mounted it below the passenger seat behind the nav unit

the gs350 is trickier, there isn't any straight forward good spot that i know of. what i do is behind the carpet on passenger seat foot well up close to the bottom of glove box. there are foam, i cut out an area for the unit to rest on
Thanks for the info. I will see if that works for me.
Old 02-08-14, 08:53 AM
welderant0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by james0076s
I have the ivic for Android, I think it's the same size as the ivic-i. I mounted my unit under the glove box, right above the plastic cover.
Cool! Did you have to get a longer lightning cable or is it still long enough to reach from the drivers seat?
Old 02-08-14, 08:56 AM
welderant0
Driver School Candidate

I got it yesterday and was excited about putting it in. After I took the center console out I was like, damn, there is no room under here. I'm going to try what you guys suggested and if all else fails I'll take it to shop and let them figure it out!
Old 02-08-14, 05:41 PM
welderant0
Driver School Candidate

Can u post or send me a picture of where you mounted your ivic?
Old 02-08-14, 10:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by welderant0
Cool! Did you have to get a longer lightning cable or is it still long enough to reach from the drivers seat?
If you put the unit behind the carpet under the glove box you will likely need a longer cable.

I tried before already. Under armrest. Behind radio. Behind glove box. No space that i can see. I dont have a pic of the setup i did though
Old 02-09-14, 03:52 PM
welderant0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
If you put the unit behind the carpet under the glove box you will likely need a longer cable.

I tried before already. Under armrest. Behind radio. Behind glove box. No space that i can see. I dont have a pic of the setup i did though
I guess I will be going to my local shop this week!
Old 02-13-14, 03:32 PM
Traxxer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the maps app have any functionality or do you just end up using HDMI mode to mirror your maps app on your iPhone?
Old 02-13-14, 04:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i have yet to spend more time in that map app. since i have factory navigation i pretty much just use that. with the limited time i have spent in the map mode though, i don't recall seeing ability to put in address, etc...

Quick Reply: Vaistech iVic-i Review (Touching iVic-d too)