Sponsored by:

Stock Head unit w/ Dyne's & Zapco

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 11:26 PM
emvanderpol
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Stock Head unit w/ Dyne's & Zapco

Having somewhat of a problem. I have a 98 GS400 w/Nav. Have the stock head unit, a 6 channel Zapco 650 amp, and Dyne-Audio speakers all the way around.

The problem #1, is in the signal off the stock amp going through the HI/LO converter transformer seems to be compromising the signal. I've read about a Soundgate converter that takes the signal directly off the back of the head unit (approx. 100mv) and boosts it up to 2.5 v with RCA outs. I'm just curious if anyone has had experience with such a device. If so, any help/direction/advice would be greatly appreciated.

The second problem comes from the Delphi XM radio unit I just installed. The FM modulator is useless as it significantly distorts the clean "cd quality" signal. And as far as Soundgate is concerned no such aux. input device exists for the GS400. I have found that the tape adapter carries less distortion, but some high frequency static (18Khz and up). I believe it is due to the poor interface between the tape/adapter and the car's head unit. Has anyone tried to hardwire the left/right/ground signal from the tape adapter to the back side of the stock tape head unit. I tried it on my disposable walkman, and it worked perfect, clean, full frequency signal. Would it work for the car's head unit????

Again, any help/input would be greatly appreciated. 760-931-9100

Thanks,
Gene