Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Sideview Mirror Auto-Tilt on GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-03, 03:50 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sideview Mirror Auto-Tilt on GS?

Aright------ im officially pissed.

My cousin bought a '97 Lincoln Continetal today in an Ohio auction and that 6 year old piece of junk actually has the auto tilt down feature for his sideview mirrors when put in reverse. WTF@!@?!?!

Thats the only option that I miss dearly in My GS----so heres my question:

One of you electronic guru's, one of you Lexus know-it-alls MUST have some sort of knowledge of how we can get that programmed/added/modded onto our GS's. There has GOT to be a way. Its in the LS430, SC430, among others-----so we know Lexus has done it. The computer systems shouldnt be THAAATT different so there MSUT BE A WAY!

My cousin insists on making fun of how he bought a $5500 lincoln that has that feature (along with adjustable electronic steering effort! WTF!)

Any ideas?

Midnite
Old 02-13-03, 09:52 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mid,

Not to add to your misery, but it is also available in the GX...

MAC
Old 02-14-03, 02:51 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cousin insists on making fun of how he bought a $5500 lincoln that has that feature (along with adjustable electronic steering effort! WTF!)

Just remember to make fun of your cousin when that Lincoln needs to be taken into the shop in 4 months. Also be sure to laugh at him when the tire shop forgets to turn off the air ride suspension button in the trunk. His stuff will sit up like a dune buggie if they raise his car and don't turn that button to off. . Acura TL/CL has the option to .
Old 02-14-03, 12:38 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOL!!

Originally posted by APLUS

Just remember to make fun of your cousin when that Lincoln needs to be taken into the shop in 4 months. Also be sure to laugh at him when the tire shop forgets to turn off the air ride suspension button in the trunk. His stuff will sit up like a dune buggie if they raise his car and don't turn that button to off. . Acura TL/CL has the option to .
That's exactly what happened to my grandmother's Lincoln...But it happened at the dealer!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: That shows you that it's not always smart to take yor car to the dealer....now they have to replace whatever was messed up!!!!!
Old 02-18-03, 10:41 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the short term, manually adjust your mirrors where you want them in reverse and then use your seat memory button #2 to memorize the these mirror positions.

Now the issues with this are:

1. A second driver cannot use the memory #2 for setting seat positions.

2. The car must be in park for the buttons to work. So you have to throw it in park, then push the button before hitting reverse.

I'm sure there are people out there who can figure out how to override the "park" requirement and a relay hooked up to your reverse switch should trigger the mirrors to turn on automatically.

In the mean time to shut your cousin up, just do what I described above. Maybe you can demo it while already in the "park" position so he doesn't realize that it won't work otherwise. You can distract him by telling him to keep an eye on his side mirror. Then slyly hit the memory button just before throwing it into reverse.

When I have the time, I'll take a look at how to wire up these mirrors for automatic operation and post a DIY if I am successful.