Sponsored by:

Replacing pioneer head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-03, 10:38 PM
BigD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing pioneer head unit

i want to replace the pioneer head unit with a Nak.. is it a simple job or not? i want to keep the interior looking stock thats why i want to replace it with a nak. i want to hook up an amp and subs to it so does it have preouts to do so? and would i be able to just hook up any aftermarket cd changer to it or do i need an OEM one?

Last edited by BigD; 02-13-03 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-16-03, 04:37 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

assuming your asking question about your 1990 ls400. the conversaion would be very difficult as the pioneer system in 1990 did not have external amp in the trunk like the nakamichi did. the 1990 pioneer amp is on the back of the radio................................................................................ the easiest way to add a factory changer would be to switch to the pioneer system radio with the cd button and add the factory changer by way of newly installed cd cable. your car is not prewired even for the cd changer if it wasnt ordered with cd changer at the factory. and certainly wasnt prewired for the nak system of 1990. the head units for the nak system and the cd changer were made by pioneer so the only difference is the external nak made amp........................................................................................................................ you would also have to change speakers with the nak amp changeover so better to just do the pioneer headunit change and cd changer cable to the pioneer cd changer system. this wouyld just iclude switching radios and running cd changer cable along driver side of sill plate to trunk and instaling the changer. not one wire to slice just plug in and play very high quality cd system. the nak system has more clarity but pioneer system is ok and all matched to speakers and subwoofer ampo which is mounted by the subwoofer in the trunk........................................................pm me for more info. i have the cd changer cable to convert your tape only radio.i alsohave the wiring diagram for the audio system.
Old 02-23-03, 01:55 PM
BigD
Driver School Candidate

you have a PM
Old 09-22-07, 04:12 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a used nakamichi head unit off ebay to replace my stock pioneer head unit but I found the plugs are totally different between the two.

my question is there a way to replace the pioneer with the nakamichi?

I did search and some said it is not possible or no way to do it. Please help guys.
Old 01-15-12, 11:56 AM
moat
Driver

Default convert to nakamichi

Originally Posted by lexie
Bought a used nakamichi head unit off ebay to replace my stock pioneer head unit but I found the plugs are totally different between the two.

my question is there a way to replace the pioneer with the nakamichi?

I did search and some said it is not possible or no way to do it. Please help guys.
I have a 93 LS and would also like to know how hard is it do this (i.e. convert the standard stereo set up to Nakamichi).