Sponsored by:

Ultimate Security System?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-03, 08:48 PM
E55AMG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate Security System?

So I've begun pondering developing a security system for our new LS430. I was under the impression that the key transponder + factory alarm was fairly secure, but I've been hearing reports that the factory alarm can be easily disabled on a GS, so my first question is, is it as easily disabled on an '03 LS430?

Second, what are your opinions for a realistc (read: not costing $10,000), but very-secure security system? We had this discussion many years ago in rec.audio.car, and I found it to be very illuminating, but that was almost 9 years ago. I'm wondering what sort of advances have come along since then.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'll start this out by describing one of the past alarm systems we "designed" (but had installed by our favorite installer ) for a friend's Accord. For starters, we started out with an Alpine 8063, and buried it deep, *really* deep inside the dash. You've got to pull out nearly 3/4 of the dash to actually get to the brain. We considered putting it behind the instrument cluster, but then realized others may have thought of that so we put the brain elsewhere Radar sensor was installed under the shifter, and shock sensor on the firewall. At the same time we also installed a back-up battery to go with the brain. Both an ignition and fuel-cut-off were installed, as well as a plain-view switch starter kill (foglight switch has to be ON for the car to start). Three sirens -- one basically inside the rear bumper and two in separate fenders -- were installed, as well as two pain generators inside the air conditioning vents. Pin-switches for the hood and trunk, and a hood-lock were installed. The trunk was wired up with a remote-release, and the key-hole release was disabled. Valet switch was carefully hidden somewhere in the car (can't seem to remember where we put it!) and to top it off, the car had an older Alpine alarm, which we basically used as a decoy alarm, strapped under the dash, like your typical $100 install at Circuit City.

I've heard of people doing pressure-switches under the mats, mercury switches for the hood/trunk (overcomes the spatula trick!) and interior air-pressure sensors. I've also heard of strobe lights under the dash and in the headlights, but the strobes I saw didn't look very good. Anyhoo, what other crazy ideas can you guys come up with?

Last edited by E55AMG; 02-14-03 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-14-03, 08:52 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I would think that LoJack would pretty much take care of your car. Theft Prevention, at a $10,000 max??? Hmm, that requires quite an imagination. I think the best I can do is have the car bulletproofed at a coachworks custom fab house, air ride on all four corners, and a three stage RF, IR, and key based alarm system that when armed, drops the car on the pavement.

MW
Old 02-14-03, 09:04 PM
E55AMG
Rookie

Originally posted by pcmw
I would think that LoJack would pretty much take care of your car. Theft Prevention, at a $10,000 max??? Hmm, that requires quite an imagination. I think the best I can do is have the car bulletproofed at a coachworks custom fab house, air ride on all four corners, and a three stage RF, IR, and key based alarm system that when armed, drops the car on the pavement.

MW
Eh, not a $10k max, I should've said "a reasonable sum." So we're talking $1.5k limit, perhaps $2k at the MOST? The alarm system above I think cost my friend a grand total of around $1200 or so with labor and all.
Old 02-14-03, 09:19 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

E55AMG,

Okay, but I can still tow your car in 10minutes with most any tow truck. Siren is simple to unplug. Jack the car up, pop the hood, and cut the wire. Doesn't have to start to take the car.

Maybe a cool idea would be to mount an actuator that releases a spring loaded bar to the ground from the rear crossmember to immobilize the car from being towed?? That sounds unfeasable.

However, car alarms just make noise and cannot really stop the car from being stolen unless you are within 20 feet of it armed with a gun willing to shoot.

In 1988, a member of a car club I was in while living in SoCal had his car modified to common ground and isolated the electronics from the chassis. He "supposedly" was going to install a shock system similar to a stun gun. Armed by touch of the door handles, wheels, or hood latch. Activated by a timer mechanism with audible warning. I moved to norcal before I saw/felt it work. But HEY that is pretty nice.

Another idea that I felt was potent is that dragon gas system. Shoots white smoke into the interior on alarm trigger. This would FREAK anyone out and make them go find a different car to steal.

MW
Old 02-14-03, 10:37 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, the most advanced security system for quite a few years has been Clifford AG4. It is exactly in your price range and it basically disables EVERYTHIN in the car when triggered. The car can still be towed.
Not so long ago I have installed Clifford RS3 which does not have as many options as AG4 but it has the little pager that notifies you about the status of your car. The only disadvantage of this unit is reception range. You also would have to add a siren with extra battery to your car so that if someone cuts your power wires, the system keeps blasting in 3 cycles 30 minutes each.

Overall I am more then happy with my setup and would advise the pager to anyone. Get lojack along with it, you should still be in your price range.
Old 02-15-03, 12:01 AM
dunn378
Pole Position

yo, e55 i see u are from the nyc/nj area too and since i see your concerned about car security also, i guess you know how they get down over here!!!!!
Old 02-15-03, 12:41 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Originally posted by dunn378
yo, e55 i see u are from the nyc/nj area too and since i see your concerned about car security also, i guess you know how they get down over here!!!!!
Haha, well, I've thankfully not had too many problems since I moved here. Just a nice key mark on the door of my beater Honda which I don't really care about. But my buddy with a Civic Si said his car would get broken into about once a month (in Queens). I'd just rather not go to a movie theater and come out to see our new LS gone.
Old 02-15-03, 08:41 AM
dunn378
Pole Position

i hear you. i'm going to keep a close eye on this forum cuz i'm very interested in a alarm system. i was going to get a second alarm installed (in addition to stock) by webster hardware in the Bronx but i think i'll wait and see what ideas come up here.
Old 02-15-03, 06:08 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

check out the the12volt.com car alarm section.
Old 02-15-03, 07:57 PM
E55AMG
Rookie

So does anyone know if the LS430 has any obvious vulnerabilities in its factory alarm system?
Old 02-15-03, 11:15 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

where can i get one of those taser alarm system things?
Old 02-15-03, 11:32 PM
E55AMG
Rookie

Originally posted by NoRyceGS4
where can i get one of those taser alarm system things?
I don't know about that ... is there a lawyer in the house who can tell us about our criminal/civil liabilities with a "taser"-type alarm?
Old 02-15-03, 11:34 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I would agree. Guy mistakes his car for yours....you almost kill the guy....get a good attorney...

MW
Old 02-16-03, 12:17 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by E55AMG
So does anyone know if the LS430 has any obvious vulnerabilities in its factory alarm system?
One off the top of my head is that once a thief knows a wiring of LS, he would need to cut the right ware to disable the alarm. there is no backup battery to keep it going. The stock alarm/locks on Lexus cars were the best in the industry since introduction of the 1st gen LS, right now I am not sure. You can add an extra battery to your system and maybe an extra high db horns and be pretty safe. Any shop would do it for you (don't go to Best Buy, Circit City, Good Guys).
Old 02-16-03, 01:16 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Originally posted by retrodrive
One off the top of my head is that once a thief knows a wiring of LS, he would need to cut the right ware to disable the alarm. there is no backup battery to keep it going. The stock alarm/locks on Lexus cars were the best in the industry since introduction of the 1st gen LS, right now I am not sure. You can add an extra battery to your system and maybe an extra high db horns and be pretty safe. Any shop would do it for you (don't go to Best Buy, Circit City, Good Guys).
OK, I read in another thread that there's a commonly known "defect" with the GS alarm system in that by removing the key-mechanism via screwdriver, there are a couple of switches in there that a thief can tap and completely disable the factory alarm, never setting it off while opening it.

So, is that the case with the LS430 as well? THat's what I'm worried about!

Quick Reply: Ultimate Security System?