Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys know if that screen will fit in an SC400
Old 02-18-03, 10:25 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bananags,

how much did you get ur navi system for? so what else do i need if i want to upgrade to navi? just the navi/radio? or do i need a new ecu like someone mentioned?
Old 02-19-03, 07:44 AM
TXLeXTC
Driver

True to my word from the other thread, I paid some support thru your site. I will be more than happy to donate more once you have the full deal tested and running.

Heck you should put together a real nice DIY with all the info and vendors, etc and sell it for 10 or 20 bucks. Im sure there would be enuff people around here interested in it to help keep your site running.
Old 03-02-03, 06:27 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Thumbs up Latest update, OEM nav is 95% complete

I spent a few hours this weekend installing the OEM navigation in my car.

Everything works Drove home from Houston back to austin, got a few hours testing it. This thing is amazingly acurate. My nav software is June 98. need upgrade.

Full audio/AC/nav control just like the factory nav equipted vehicle.

I did not connect the speed signal, thus I have full control of the navigation when the vehicle is moving.

I don't know much about how lexus nav should behave, so far i don't see any major disadvantage by removing the speed signal beside noMPH estimate. When I get some free time, I will connect the speed signal and see if it make any different.

I will take some pictures when it stop raining here.

Installing took under ~3 hours, pretty easy when you have all the cable built.
I built the nav system as a self-contained unit, all plug and play.

===
Thing left to do:
- Connect the speed sensor to see if it make any different.
- Adding a saparate speaker for the nav, I don't want my hi powered amp mess up the nav computer.

===
On another notes;
I currently have an extra LS400 navigation screen/AC/radio all in one (tested) and a GS/LS navigation computer (not tested yet) I will build a cable for it to test out the nav computer soon. If anyone interested, PM me, no price yet (prefer to sell both as a whole system for LS400, but willing to sell them saparate, since the LS screen won't fit the GS. Since I havent pay my seller yet, I can return these units to my seller if i don't want it, thus if there are no interest, I won't bother testing it out, just gonna return them.

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-02-03 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-07-03, 12:08 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Banana,

I've got tint on my windows, and sometimes obtaining a lock is difficult.

However, the vehicle still seems to know where it is. I think having the speed sensor hooked up allows the NAV system to dead reckon the vehicle...

What happens when you have no lock and you're moving? If I can disable the speed so that the passenger can use the NAV then I'd like to do that, however, if I lose the ability to update on the NAV even with no lock, then I'd rather not touch it.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 03-07-03, 12:19 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Tim,
I got to put a measuring scope on the speed signal first to see what kind of signal I am looking at, I am thinking about putting a switch, turn the switch off, cut the speed signal, get control, turn the switch on, back in business.
(an over-ride switch =)

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-07-03 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-07-03, 04:37 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

BananaGS,

Instead of a switch, consider a 555 adjustable timer circuit with a relay. This way your navigation system is assured to have speed pulse input after destination input. I've used a project kit from www.hobbytron.com and the start timer button was triggered by the navi 'Destination' button. If your done inputting your destination before the timer expires you can press the 'Map/ Voice' to stop and re-enable your speed pulse. A small green LED was mounted behind the multi-display (next to left temperature ##'s) indicating when the speed pulse is bypassed and navigation system ready for input.

Last edited by LS007; 03-07-03 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-08-03, 07:55 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Thumbs up my OEM navigation conversion project is COMPLETED

Everything is working perfectly as soon as I connect the speed signal. Updated my webpage.

Lexus has the Fall 2002 nav update, I guess I am gonna wait for the Fall 2003 update to come out before I order it.

VideoNavi, cool, I am thinking about it now.

Anh
Attached Thumbnails oem nav conversion update-p1010011.jpg  

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-08-03 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-12-03, 11:19 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

how much?
Old 03-13-03, 09:28 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Total cost for me : around $850 (everything).
My Nav computer was brand new, I don't know how the guy who sole it to me got it, but he said he got it from Lexus dealership, they had an extra one not used, order for a customer but the customer did not want it,so he got it at discount price. You maybe able to get them cheaper from yunkyard. Good luck

I can built the cable for you if you have all the parts. hee hee
Old 03-13-03, 10:14 AM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Banana,

Did you use a HD or a DVD computer?

Tim
Old 03-13-03, 12:55 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

HD based, I am afraid that the DVD base computer may not compatible with the AC control on an hard drive based car. But it may work, the navigation part sure will work, but I don't know if the AC will.
Old 03-13-03, 03:21 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default another speaker

you mention putting another speaker for the navi why? Im about to do my sound system using my navi stock on 99 GS400, I already change my front and back speakers to Alpine 5.25 ,using my stock sub for mid base with 5channel amp alpine V12 and a solobaric 10" sub with a mono amp alpine V12. I was going to leave the navi playing with the new speaker. u think I going to have problems with navi brain?
Old 03-13-03, 04:17 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Default Re: another speaker

Originally posted by angelslex
you mention putting another speaker for the navi why? Im about to do my sound system using my navi stock on 99 GS400, I already change my front and back speakers to Alpine 5.25 ,using my stock sub for mid base with 5channel amp alpine V12 and a solobaric 10" sub with a mono amp alpine V12. I was going to leave the navi playing with the new speaker. u think I going to have problems with navi brain?
Perform a search on this, its come up before, I'd give you a link, but I don't have it.

Evidently, one member experienced a failure with his brain by going to aftermarket speakers/amps...

Tim
Old 03-13-03, 05:29 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Banana: You are truly a guru! Great job. I'm considering installing the Kenwood Nav system, but the OEM setup looks so much cleaner.

Actually, when I was looking at the new 4Runner, I noticed it had a nav option ($2000) that is installed by the dealer. I was wondeing if I could order the unit and somehow install it into my GS. The unit looks like it would fit, and is a Denso DVD unit. It is a touchscreen unit, but only controls the audio (not the AC). It looks the same as my girfriend's LS430, just a smaller sceeen and no voice activation.

Quick Reply: oem nav conversion update