Sponsored by:

Problem with amp getting wet

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-03, 12:34 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's amazing..

It's amazing what a piece of $### car can do to ruin your life.
My amp blown again. This is my second time blowing the amp at the same automatic carwash. The hose from the gas lid disconnected while I was in this carwash, spraying few bucket of water on to my amp. Worse, at the same time, my CD changer ate one of my 12 CDs and I can't get it out. All these hoses are making me spend thousands, as I was in a major accident because of this vacuum line disconnecting from my brake fluid reservoir...
I'm gonna sell this POS lexus... I'm furious... I just had enough.

There's no way to replace the Nakamichi amp with another brand without changing all the speakers, is there?
Old 02-15-03, 12:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Never happened to me. lack of maintenence? possibly?
result of wreck, which a result of lack of maintenence?
Old 02-15-03, 01:22 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

I guess you are one of the lucky few people with an actual intact Lexus. I think mine is a honda-to-lexus conversion car that I had no knowledge of ...

'Cause ever since I bought the car a year ago, only thing this car gave me was pain...well often enough. Lack of maintanance? Maybe yes for the previous f'n owner, but I put more than enough care to this car. It's just that these problems arise from places that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by ChronoJ1; 02-15-03 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-15-03, 01:41 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my second time blowing the amp at the same automatic carwash.
Hmm. Chrono, don't take this wrong, I know you are upset. If it happen the FIRST time, then why did you go back? Knowing that your car (not Lexus in general, or even SC owners in general) has THIS issue, why did you not use a hose clamp and reinforced hose or install a neoprene/plastic protector to the amp?

I am not sure your analysis is accurate, but just the fact that it happen TWICE, the SAME way, at the SAME place makes me believe it could have been avoided.

You CAN swap amps and not speakers without a problem.

Best of luck Chrono.

MW
Old 02-15-03, 02:38 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

pcmw...again, thanks for the guidance.

(and good thing that you changed the title....I was going to do it myself... Guess I was a little bit emotional few hours ago)

Yup, I did put that sticky black tape around the hose several rounds. Believe it or not, somehow the hose disconnected again by itself.

And no, i'm not gonna sell my beloved SC. I will take extra care.
Old 02-15-03, 02:52 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Sticky Black tape is no way to repair a Yugo let alone a Lexus. If you used electrical tape and wonder why it came loose on a plumbing application then you live and hopefully learn. A hose clamp is a mechanical solution, tape is a temporary and therefore inappropriate solution. Best solution is to find a way to prevent it from ever happening again. Maybe order a new tube and clamp.

MW
Old 02-15-03, 02:54 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

I'll make sure I do.
Learning from stupid mistakes....
Old 02-16-03, 11:49 AM
lex1997
Driver

Hey ChronoJ1 would you like to sell that Nakamichi amp. b/c I've had same problem as you and I've tried to fix my amp. my self and now I need some parts that I can't find anywhere else.
I was thinking to get an aftermarket Alpine 5 channel amp. at Crutchfield.com for I think is $199 check it out I think it's a good price.
This is the amp. Alpine MRP-F320 $199 5 channel.
Old 02-16-03, 12:46 PM
strongsail
Instructor

ChronoJ1, I am sorry you are having troubles with your car - I have a '93 SC4 and it is just flawless - no problems, no leaks, no complaints.

I appreciate your attitude about learning from your mistakes! But I have to wonder if you have some problems you didn't expect because the person you bought your car from was less than straight with you.

The reason I am wondering this is your sig says you have a '94 Silver Spruce SC. My '93 is also Silver Spruce (paint code 6M3) and I thought that color was only available in '92 and '93...but I am getting that info from an aftermarket paint supplier, http://www.paintscratch.com so I may be mistaken.

Have you ever run a Carfax on your VIN? A Lexus dealer should also be able to tell you a fair amount about your car if you give them the VIN too.

Hope your luck improves

Last edited by strongsail; 02-16-03 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-16-03, 12:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I don't even remember what the stock Nak amp sounds like. Mine has been sitting here on the shelf for 6 months now since i went to an aftermarket setup.
Old 02-16-03, 02:49 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

onelasttry;

have to consider to sell it ? is it in working condition?
Old 02-16-03, 02:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

never considered it. it's just sitting there looking back at me...lol. i went to ample audio mids and a blaupunkt casablanka head unit so the Nak amp wasn't very useful at that point. ..... to the closet it went.
Old 08-18-03, 07:13 PM
jrwfly111
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem with water getting into my trunk. I found a local guy to fix my amp for $35 (he also fixed my changer). I later found that the water enters the trunk from behind the rear taillight. I solved this problem with some sealant. I have not had a problem since.
Old 08-18-03, 11:40 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

damn that sucks, never heard of that happening..
good thing i have good amps.. Cool to the touch.

its not all hot like those alpine, sony, kenwood, RF, etc. amps those are all crap.
Old 08-19-03, 10:32 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Wow..this is an old old thread... maybe a year old.
Ever since the mess described above, I've gone fully aftermarket. Plust I've sealed the hose like a M#$@*&F#$#$&.

Quick Reply: Problem with amp getting wet