Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Can't get DynaAudio Speakers locally, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-01, 03:05 AM
sleepybobcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I live in the Washington, DC area. DynaAudio told
me they do not have any dealer/installer close to me.
Are there any mail-order companies for DynaAudio
speakers?

I'd like to put in DynaAudio speakers in my '01
RX300 with Navigation system. What are the sizes
for the front and rear door speakers?(before I
remove the door panels) Also, the nav system uses
the right front speakers. According the the Lexus
Electrical Diagram I got, the nav system feeds it's own
speaker level output directly to the speakers, so how should I wire it into the new speakers?

Thanks !!!

Bob
Old 03-21-01, 07:08 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bob,

Try Peter Lufrano at http://www.theautofile.com He should have a few of these in stock. The midbass drivers that you'll need are MW160's. They say that they're 7 inch drivers but they're actually 6.5 inch with a slightly larger mounting surface. As for the tweets...you're going to have to custom fabricate something. The smallest tweets are MD100's, and even with the MD100's out of the casing, it's going to be slightly larger than stock. Custom pods?

As for hooking up the speakers, just use the existing wiring. The head unit goes into the amp and then to speaker out. Should be enough power.

Percy
Old 03-21-01, 07:37 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the correct link is
http://www.theautophile.com.

Marty
Old 03-21-01, 07:45 AM
sleepybobcat

Thanks! I'll check out that website...

Bob
Old 03-21-01, 12:33 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much would four new speakers cost? (no tweets) can you even keep stock wireing? sounds like an easy task! (except from taking off the door panels that is
Old 03-21-01, 12:59 PM
Percy

Originally posted by LexusRules
how much would four new speakers cost? (no tweets) can you even keep stock wireing? sounds like an easy task! (except from taking off the door panels that is
Sasha,

A little less than 800. That's for 4 MW160's at 189.00 each. Yes, you can keep the stock wiring, but if you upgrade the system later, I'd highly recommend that you upgrade the wiring.

Percy
Old 03-21-01, 05:53 PM
Woody1

Lightbulb

sleepybobcat,

E-mail info@woodyselectronics.com ... I'm pretty sure we have them in stock and maybe even save you a few bucks too!

Percy, why not replace the tweets as well? I'd recommend the System 240 for his application...that way he'll have the Dyn x-overs.

Old 03-21-01, 07:37 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahahaha

my legacy amp and 2 subs ran me $117.00 pretty good eh?

i'll wait till i'm done with power (TC, HFI first)

then maybe suspension
Old 03-21-01, 08:33 PM
Percy

Brad,

Sasha asked for an estimated price with no tweets. I'd still recommend a system 240mkII except if someone is using an electronic crossover or is custom making one and knows what he/she is doing.

As for the RX300, definitely custom pods on top. The stock tweets are so small that even the MD100 out of the casing won't fit. Fiberglass, anyone?

Percy

Originally posted by Woody1
sleepybobcat,

E-mail info@woodyselectronics.com ... I'm pretty sure we have them in stock and maybe even save you a few bucks too!

Percy, why not replace the tweets as well? I'd recommend the System 240 for his application...that way he'll have the Dyn x-overs.

Old 04-01-01, 08:32 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Hey Bob,

I read this thread for the first time & realized that you're in my back yard. Where in the DC area are you located? If you haven't selected an installer I would "HIGHLY" recommend the guy I use over in Alexandria, Virginia. He's basically one the best installers you've never heard of.

Almost all of his installs are custom jobs & everytime he let's me know of a new vehicle he's completed, I'm always in awe of how clean & factory looking his work looks (remember, I'm a very difficult person to please). He also has vast experience working with a wide range of materials (especially fiberglass, plexiglass, whatever).

The only problem is that he's always booked out for at least a month in advance. I guess in his eyes, that's never a bad thing. So once you complete your transaction w/ Woody, hit me up @ Swift Racing office # (301) 384-7319 &/or msmith@swiftracing.com

Old 03-12-03, 05:17 AM
RX300VA
Driver School Candidate

Smile More RX300 speaker questions

Percy,
I've enjoyed reading your posts on the RX300 Speaker system, you seem like one of the more knowledgable, and rational, car stereo "experts" on this vehicle & board.
I see that you mention Dynaudio speakers for the car - is the stock "Premium" Lexus amplifier really powerful enough to support these? Also, I've never had anyone custom make an enclosure, either - do you think tweeter pods big enough to hold the DynAudio tweets would be relatively easy to do?
Other speaker systems I'm considering: Infinity Reference 605 (woofer & tweeter should drop in, highly efficient - should work well with stock amp, good sound, reasonable price), a/d/s components (love these - great sound, might need more power than the stock amp has), Focal Poly Kevlar (highly efficient, seem well thought-of, though some reviews indicate that they're light on midbass).
For those in the DC/NoVA area,got any installers to recommend? Thanks for any advice...
Old 03-12-03, 02:21 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
RX300VA:
I have an RX300 in addition to my GS4. If you were to replace the factory speakers with Dyns, a/d/s, or Focal, you'd get an overall improvement in sound, but that would be like turbocharging a Yugo. And a waste of money at that, since I think you can spend less for replacement speakers and get the same result, if speakers are all that you're replacing. The stock RX Pioneer system does not have the power or signal fidelity required to make an audiophile happy. New amp recommended, unless you're willing to do quite a bit of work to install the speakers yet not replace the stock amp, and have the system still be mediocre. You'll never realize the full potential of the Dyns, a/d/s, or Focals unless you drive them with more clean power. I don't believe there's any way to get the Dyn MD100 tweeter into the little stock tweeter pod on the RX, so yeah, you need custom pods, unless you use a 3/4" tweet from another manufacturer.
I'm really upset with these car manufacturers that seem to enjoy putting in "integrated" stock systems that aren't replaceable without major hacking. The RX is just one example. I'd love to be able to replace the "headunit" hassle-free, but that's not gonna happen.
Old 03-12-03, 05:24 PM
Percy

Default Re: More RX300 speaker questions

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RX300VA
[B]Percy,
I've enjoyed reading your posts on the RX300 Speaker system, you seem like one of the more knowledgable, and rational, car stereo "experts" on this vehicle & board.
I see that you mention Dynaudio speakers for the car - is the stock "Premium" Lexus amplifier really powerful enough to support these?

***It'll do if you listen to the system at low power levels. But, as Engin_ear just mentioned, use a more powerful amp, otherwise you'll miss out on all the good stuff that's on the recording!***

Also, I've never had anyone custom make an enclosure, either - do you think tweeter pods big enough to hold the DynAudio tweets would be relatively easy to do?

***I've taken a look at the pods...very small. Definitely have to go custom on this to house the MD100 tweeter.***

Other speaker systems I'm considering: Infinity Reference 605 (woofer & tweeter should drop in, highly efficient - should work well with stock amp, good sound, reasonable price), a/d/s components (love these - great sound, might need more power than the stock amp has), Focal Poly Kevlar (highly efficient, seem well thought-of, though some reviews indicate that they're light on midbass).

***Personal experience on a/d/s/...very smooth and relaxed sound. Can't go wrong with these. If I never listened to the Dyns I would be very happy with the a/d/s/. Focal Poly Kevlar...just be sure to listen to the tweet that comes with this. The titanium ones are a bit "hot" sounding, while the kevlar tweet isn't, imo, that good sounding. Have you looked into Diamond HEX?***

Percy
Old 03-12-03, 06:17 PM
RX300VA
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for those Inputs!

Thanks to engin_ear & Percy...
I know that a better amp would improve the entire system (I recently did a complete upgrade on my BMW Z3 stereo and have several good amps lying around looking for work), but based on the RX300 audio system schematic I have (courtesy of Pohanka Lexus in Chantiilly, VA), replacing this beast seems very difficult, due to the specialized/custom inputs/outputs the amp has. The radio/tape head unit and the CD changer have separate audio inputs into the amp - in other words, the CD changer output goes VFR direct to the amp without passing through the head unit. Aftermarket amps don't have two separate signal inputs - how would you contol the tone??... And I'm not interested in trashing the entire system - I want to keep the stock head unit, CD player and subwoofer. Since I'm just looking for a modest audio improvement, I may try the Infinity speakers mentioned above - as I believe they'd improve the sound using the stock amp, and then augment the bass with either a Blaupunkt VSB-120 (which will easily fit under the back seat) or a Kenwood "WooX" powered subwoofer (which *might* fit under the back seat. I agree with engin_ear - I wish automakers would use standard size equipment, so that individuals could more easily customize the systems to suit their taste....

http://www.continentalimports.com/cms_265.html

Last edited by RX300VA; 03-13-03 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-13-03, 08:16 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face Bleccchtpunkt.

RX:
I'm not a Blaupunkt fan: Their head units seem OK, never liked any of their speakers, and I had one of their amps in years back that was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE, so bad that I wound up replacing it with a $100 amp, and that sounded 10 times as good.

One way to do the amp upgrade, given the fact that there are two sets of signal leads going to the amp, is to insert an EQ that also does input switching. I've done this effectively with the AudioControl 4.1, taking the factory Nak headunit output and integrating it with Sirius sat radio. You have to mount it either in or under the dash, so that you have access to volume/tone controls and the main/aux input switch. However, this requires a lot of work getting the signal levels right, and more expense, of course, so may be more than you want to do in an RX300. The flip side of that coin is that if you do something like that, you can use any amp and speakers that you want in the rest of the system. Geez, you can even get a second battery, upgraded alternator, or maybe even that mini portable nuclear power plant that I'm still waiting for someone to design (cold fusion. of course...) :-)

I assume that the factory headunit can still control the CD changer without the factory amp in place, but haven't checked the schematic to make sure.

Quick Reply: Can't get DynaAudio Speakers locally, what to do?