Sponsored by:

Cell phone brain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-03, 01:27 PM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cell phone brain?

Does anyone know where they put the brain that goes to the Stock Lexus cell phone?
I searched but nothin came up.
Old 02-19-03, 02:25 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

it should be in the trunk on the drivers side behind the trim its a black box with what looks like a computer serial cable going in to it
Old 02-19-03, 02:40 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine is under the passenger seat.
Old 02-19-03, 02:57 PM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

Thanks,it must be in the trunk because it's not under the seat.

RT
Old 02-28-03, 12:08 AM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

I'm confused... my 93 SC400 came with the factory phone (which beeps every damn time I start the car), but I can't locate the "brain" under the passenger seat, or in the trunk. Any other ideas on how I can stop this thing from beeping?

Thanks
Old 02-28-03, 03:01 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blacksc4, I have the same year SC4 - the phone beeps when you start because it was on when you shut the car off the last time - with the ignition on, push the power button on the handset and hold it down until the display goes dark, now the unit is off and it should stay quiet - if it doesn't, let me know here - I have the manual for the phone and I will hunt it up and we can figure it out - I have since removed all the hardware in the center console to free up space (you can buy a new bottom liner for the console box from the dealer to cover the holes) but have not removed the brain, which is hidden behind the trim panel in the left side of the trunk. I will remove it at some point just to get rid of the weight - there is a bit of a trick to that too, so the right front door speaker will still work when the phone is taken out.

It's too bad these phones are the old analog type, because the setup is really nice, with handsfree and radio muting, but I couldn't get a number for mine from any local provider so it's so much dead weight...

Last edited by strongsail; 03-01-03 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 05:30 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by strongsail
blacksc4, I have the same year SC4 - the phone beeps when you start because it was on when you shut the car off the last time - with the ignition on, push the power button on the handset and hold it down until the display goes dark, now the unit is off and it should stay quiet - if it doesn't, let me know here - I have the manual for the phone and I will hunt it up and we can figure it out - I have since removed all the hardware in the center console to free up space (you can buy a new bottom liner for the console box from the dealer to cover the holes) but have not removed the brain, which is hidden behind the trim panel in the left side of the trunk. I will remove it at some point just to get rid of the weight - there is a bit of a trick to that too, so the left front door speaker will still work when the phone is taken out.

It's too bad these phones are the old analog type, because the setup is really nice, with handsfree and radio muting, but I couldn't get a number for mine from any local provider so it's so much dead weight...
Hey Strongsail, you da MAN! I followed your instructions, and it worked! No more annoying ear piercing beeps when I start my car! You should add one of those PayPal "Donate" buttons at the bottom of every post you make. Serious man, this has been one of those little things that has just bugged me for quite some time. Nice to have it finally fixed.

It also disabled the hands-free buttons on the steering wheel, so I'm happy with that too. They used to beep if I accidentally bumped them while turning a corner.

OK, so since you were so much help with this, maybe you can shed some light on how to remove the stupid thing from the glove box? I have removed every screw in sight, as well as some hidden ones under the fult caps, etc. but it just won't budge. What's the secret to removing the damn thing? As far as the piece for the bottom, what did you do- buy one for a 2000 year model SC4?

Thanks
Old 02-28-03, 06:01 PM
c_irie
Driver

why don't you just unplug the handset ?
Old 02-28-03, 07:07 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by c_irie
why don't you just unplug the handset ?
Been there. Done that. Didn't work...
Old 02-28-03, 09:05 PM
strongsail
Instructor

yeah, getting rid of the handset still leaves the box with the handset socket on top of it. And man, for the life of me, I cannot remember how I got the whole thing out. Perfect timing too - I just took a box of stuff to my storage unit, including all the phone bits I ripped out. I have the service manual, but it doesn't show how the phone is installed - they were a "D.O." - a dealer option, installed here in the US by the dealers - hey, just unplug the handset for now, I will look at all the pieces next time I'm at my storage unit, and I'll post here - I know I had problems figuring it out too, you're not alone -
Old 02-28-03, 11:42 PM
c_irie
Driver

ok here goes
Attached Thumbnails Cell phone brain?-cellphone.jpg  
Old 03-01-03, 06:09 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Default ok, I remember, sorta

Okay, I went to my storage unit today (had to go to the boat anyway) and looked at the pieces I pulled out, and - Aha!

You took the screws out that go through the plastic socket that holds the handset, right? Two screws? And you notice that there are 2 little round rubber feet in the socket too?

Use a pin, or the point of a knife, and pull up on those little rubber feet. There are 2 more screws under them.

Now you can remove the plastic socket and the base beneath it, once you unplug the handset. You will find another base inside that base. It is screwed to the console box from the underside.

Take the two screws out of the top of that inner base and the wiring socket will come loose. You'll be able to see the hole in the bottom of the box where the wire comes through.

Pull the cupholder out in front of the console box. Don't pull on the lid! The cupholder is held in by 2 clips on the front edge. Under the cupholder you will find the wiring to the phone - you may not be able to unplug it yet, though.

Take the 2 screws out that are under the little felt-covered plugs at the back of the console box, on each side near the hinge arms.

Lift up the mat in the bottom of the box and remove the 2 10mm bolts. You'll need about an 8" extension.

Stick your fingers in the cupholder hole and you will feel 2 clips on the front of the box, the same type as the ones on the cupholder.

Okay, my memory just ran dry. I have told you everything I can remember from looking at the pieces that came out, and at the box itself. I can't remember exactly how the box itself comes out - there is a 3rd bolt under the inner base, and I can't remember how to get it out. Hopefully this much info and your own mechanical sense will lead you the rest of the way.

When you get the whole thing out, you'll be left with a bottom mat with holes in it and depressions where the base was screwed down. I went to the dealer and got a replacement mat, for my year of car, and it fits fine, but it's made of thinner material, so I turned the old mat around front-to-back and put it back in, then put the new mat down on top of it, and the bottom is nice and firm and looks good.

Hope this helps - hope it's not too confusing - it sure is nice having that extra space in the console, the car's cabin is short on stowage as it is.

Last edited by strongsail; 03-01-03 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-01-03, 06:18 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

anyway we can reroute the cellphone antennae to work for the radio? just a thought!
Old 03-01-03, 06:27 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Um, no.

Why, doesn't your radio antenna work?
Old 10-22-11, 09:48 AM
tsoarer95
Rookie

Originally Posted by strongsail
blacksc4, I have the same year SC4 - the phone beeps when you start because it was on when you shut the car off the last time - with the ignition on, push the power button on the handset and hold it down until the display goes dark, now the unit is off and it should stay quiet - if it doesn't, let me know here - I have the manual for the phone and I will hunt it up and we can figure it out - I have since removed all the hardware in the center console to free up space (you can buy a new bottom liner for the console box from the dealer to cover the holes) but have not removed the brain, which is hidden behind the trim panel in the left side of the trunk. I will remove it at some point just to get rid of the weight - there is a bit of a trick to that too, so the right front door speaker will still work when the phone is taken out.

bringing this thing from long being dead. I actually was having the same trouble and followed the instructions and ta-da! the beeping sound is gone. but my thing is. Whats the trick to getting the front right speaker working?

Quick Reply: Cell phone brain?