Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Trunk is done! For those who like it nice and clean...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-03, 03:37 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk is done! For those who like it nice and clean...

Just thought I would share some pics of my system that I just got installed. I am running Diamond Audio Hex's front and back with an Arc Audio 2100cxl on the front speakers. For subs, I am running a pair of 12" Eclipse Alum's off of an Arc Audio 1500dr. I also splurged for the extra battery, just in case It sounds great, and the look is even better than I imagined. My goals were to retain the spare tire, spare enough room to keep most of the functionality of trunk, and most of all to have factory-like fit and finish so it looks as if it belongs. So here ya go, let me know what you guys think!
Attached Thumbnails Trunk is done!  For those who like it nice and clean...-mvc-009f.jpg  
Old 02-21-03, 03:38 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

By the way, I know my camera sucks and I know there are terrible shadows, but if I can live with it so can you
Attached Thumbnails Trunk is done!  For those who like it nice and clean...-mvc-008f.jpg  
Old 02-21-03, 03:40 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

System goes woooo-woooo!
Attached Thumbnails Trunk is done!  For those who like it nice and clean...-mvc-005f.jpg  
Old 02-21-03, 03:40 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

More
Attached Thumbnails Trunk is done!  For those who like it nice and clean...-mvc-003f.jpg  

Last edited by GS4ADRLexo; 02-21-03 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 03:42 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

Last one...subs are in a sealed box firing into the cabin
Attached Thumbnails Trunk is done!  For those who like it nice and clean...-mvc-007f.jpg  
Old 02-21-03, 05:42 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks pretty damn good to me. I cant tell form the pics, but does the sub box go all the way across and flush up with the side pieces with the amps? I think your gonna have me switching my set up around a little bit now. I have a similar set up, but my amps are mounted vertically , I like the angled look better. Hmmmm, I might have to do it!!
Old 02-24-03, 10:47 AM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

TT, thanks for the props...the box is only on the back shelf, but the "false front" on it extends all the way across the back fo the trunk. Since the box is only on the back shelf, I was able to conserve as much trunk space as possible. The amps are angled, and then the box meets the amp panels at the same angle...hopefully that makes sense I'm curious to what others think...positive or negative, let me have it!
Old 02-24-03, 12:22 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent job - clean.
How far back from the back of the rear seats did you need to mount the woofs to prevent them from hitting the screen on large excursions?
Old 02-24-03, 02:13 PM
skins990
Rookie

that is awesome, did you cut the support bar behnind the seats, i guess you need to get that look, i bet that sounds awesome, i have a 10w7 and all it really does is shake the trunk, i want some type of setup like yours, great job, any install pics
Old 02-26-03, 07:51 PM
whiteboy
Driver School Candidate

Default awesome install

That looks incredible, that's exactly the kind of thing i'm looking at for my es300. Out of curiousity, what does a shop charge to build something like that and how happy are you with your subs?
thanks,
Sam
Old 02-27-03, 02:02 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet. Not only this is one of the cleanest installs that I have seen, you also have the trunk space!
Old 02-27-03, 08:40 AM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by retrodrive
Sweet. Not only this is one of the cleanest installs that I have seen, you also have the trunk space!
I second that!! WOW!! You managed to save alot of trunk space for that set up...I think i might wanna change the position of my amp, too....so let me get this straight though...you can actually still get your spare out of there even with the amps like that?

Let me know...cuase then I gotta talk to my installer about this!

Danny
Old 02-27-03, 09:46 AM
sld
Driver

I'd like to know how the bass sounds in the cabin. I have a 12W7 on the way, and I was planning on going with a rear-firing sealed setup. I'm just not sure how much bass will get in the cabin from the empty 10" hole in the rear deck.
Old 02-27-03, 10:39 AM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

Awesome, some feedback Here are some answers:

engin - The subs are approximately 1.5" from the back "screen"...that should be plenty of room for any sub on the market, including the wave of newer subs with rediculous Xmax's (IDMAX, Brahma's, ED, RE, Treo, etc.).

skins990 - Yes, the support bar was removed. It really does sound great this way, and trunk rattle is minimized since the box is "sealed off" from the trunk as completely as possible. I don't have any sound-deadening in my car yet (although I do have 120 square feet of RAAMAT in my garage that I need to install one of these days!), but it is still amazing to me how much output there is in the cabin, but yet you stand 50 feet from the car and you hear almost nothing. Well, until you roll a window down In my situation, this is what I'm looking for...I'm not really interested in getting my stuff stolen any time soon! No install pics, sorry.

whiteboy - Not sure if I am allowed to disclose prices here in the forum but if you want to PM me I could tell you how much I spent on the install and components. I am under $3500 for everything though...install, wiring, subs, amps, speakers, etc. I am very happy with the subs, but I'm sure that there are plenty of other subs out there that would satisfy me just as much. I needed a pair of 12"s that handled about 500-600W RMS each (powered by an Arc Audio 1500dr) available in dual 2 ohm or single 4 ohm configuration, so I looked around a bit and settled on the Eclipse Aluminums. I am actually a huge IDMAX fan myself, but I wanted two 12"s and underpowering them with 500-600W each seemed like a bit of a waste. Heh, I'm rambling now, so I'll stop!

retro - Thanks!

dagr8 - Yep, I still have access to my spare tire well. They had to cut the spare tire well cover so that the sides of it aren't under where the amps are now...picture it as being one big square now. It looks great though, I love how it turned out! I could take a picture with the panel pulled up if that would help you at all.

sld - The bass sounds great in the cabin. I listen to all kinds of music, from rock to rap to techno and even a little bit of country, and I can listen to any of those genres with this setup. I definately agree with you that sealed is the way to go. I recommend the configuration I am using personally, but PLEASE take the time to completely seal the box off from the trunk. If you do not take the time to do this, you will lose a lot of output. I have heard only one rear-firing setup in a GS, and to me it just wasn't clean enough to play any kind of music except rap or something with a well-defined bassline...it failed miserably with rock. Best of luck to you!

Hope that helps everyone, let me know if there are any more questions!
Old 02-27-03, 10:59 AM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

dagr8 - Yep, I still have access to my spare tire well. They had to cut the spare tire well cover so that the sides of it aren't under where the amps are now...picture it as being one big square now. It looks great though, I love how it turned out! I could take a picture with the panel pulled up if that would help you at all.
Thanks....if it isn't too much of a hassle..I'd like to see a pic of it...btw..great set up!!!

Danny

Quick Reply: Trunk is done! For those who like it nice and clean...