Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Upgrading "3 Magical wires"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03 | 08:52 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

For the record world car audio champions put high strand audio cables as their alternator wiring.
lol. the predictability on that statement was amazing. it's called sponsorship. most show vehicle's in world class dont drive, they come in on a trailer. infact a world class show vehicle ALWAYS comes in on a trailer. there is no doubt on whether or not it will hold, but thin strand is more prone to corrosion and early failure under high stress loads.

Do you think people at Lexus are stupid enough to put bad wires on our cars? Whatever strand 4ga wire you upgrade to it is safe
if you will take a look at your factory lexus wiring, it is large strand for a reason, which is why it isnt 4 gauge, it doesnt have to be with large strand plus 8 gauge in thick strand is twice as strong as 4 ga in single strand and CHEAPER. Why make the op buy more expensive wire just to wire the alt and batt when he can spend half that and have better wire for his application?

did you know 16 guage wire is what your walls at home are wired with that carry all that voltage and current? it can do that because the thick strand is made to carry high loads such as you would experience in your alternator path. it is horrible for use in an audio system, but excellent in an alt circut because that is what it is made for. and THAT'S why factory lexus wiring isn't 4 ga. I give that stinger wire very few months before the soft jacket starts to sag and split, v/s a hard jacket on a real high current wire.

I respect your position as a moderator, but not on your advice, you do not know what you are commenting on, you are only looking at the pretty thick wire and following a stereotype of bigger is better. Fortunately the designers of wire have thought a bit further than that. each wire size and strand have it's own dedicated specific purpose.

I suppose next we will hear that 4 ga copper wire would be better for speakers v/s 12 ga silver stranded oxygen free wire that resists corrosion and provides better conductivity. Everything has a purpose. That tiny (in comparison) wire in the lexus engine compartment could outbake stinger 4 ga. anyday of the week.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-26-03 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-26-03 | 12:42 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Jmai,

I bought all my wire from KnuKonceptz.com Excellent prices, excellent service, and excellent products.

Tim
Old 02-26-03 | 12:47 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

finally an answer to my question. wahoo
Old 02-26-03 | 12:49 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by onelasttry
Um, no. There are no variables. it is or it isnt. i suppose you just read it wrong. if you can figure out exactly what i can help you with, let me know and i will try. you can catch me in the sc forum.

FYI- own multiple store fronts, masters tech, and masters installer. I can definately help you if you can figure out a way to explain what it is that troubles you. i'll be glad to help. thanks.

to the OP: you can use fine stranded wire, but I would only use it on the audio system. The reason why people get away with it on audio systems is because the curent is only spontaneous and never constant. A 500 watt amp may be fused at 40 amps, but only peak at 40 every so often, otherwise it runs a constant of usually around 20 amps when cranked up real good. the alt will always be constant, and the starter will be heavy current constant for the time when it is on.
Wow, speaking of pretentiousness...

Ok, my problem? The difference between resistance/capacitance of a fine stranded wire vs less strands, larger core wire. Explain to me the difference in any/all automotive applications. And make it worth my while. I don't care if there is a .000001V drop over 5' of find stranded vs larger core wire.

It doesn't at all matter. You said it yourself, larger core is cheaper to produce/use, but there is no detriment to using it. Finer strands equals better ease of use.

Keep it up, and you'll be on your way to MECP certification!

Tim
Old 02-26-03 | 12:49 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by Jmai22
finally an answer to my question. wahoo

LOL...its got to be you, but you sure do stir up a lot of debates

Tim
Old 02-26-03 | 12:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

there is no difference in resistance.

now i understand what you misunderstood.

the outer jacket of smaller stranded is much softer and less resistant to heat which is not only created by the engine compartment (which will not harm the wire) but under load which will harm the jacket. This isnt a matter of resistance, your over thinking it, only safety.

as for the rest of your comments, nothing to respond to. certainly you can refrain from childish intellect and enjoy the conversation like the rest of us big boys, eh?

i've spent more years in tech than you have spent old enough to drive. listening helps sometimes. I was polite to you and you fired back with that last statement out of a childrens book. let's be a bit more on the level k? dont want to feel like im wasting my time giving you information you may not find out untill you have a burndown one day.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-26-03 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-26-03 | 01:53 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

there is no difference in resistance.

now i understand what you misunderstood.

the outer jacket of smaller stranded is much softer and less resistant to heat which is not only created by the engine compartment (which will not harm the wire) but under load which will harm the jacket. This isnt a matter of resistance, your over thinking it, only safety.

as for the rest of your comments, nothing to respond to. certainly you can refrain from childish intellect and enjoy the conversation like the rest of us big boys, eh?

i've spent more years in tech than you have spent old enough to drive. listening helps sometimes. I was polite to you and you fired back with that last statement out of a childrens book. let's be a bit more on the level k? dont want to feel like im wasting my time giving you information you may not find out untill you have a burndown one day.
LOL...bob and weave...bob and weave...

Again...huh?

Age/years of experience certainly do not translate to wisdom or knowledge...

As for being "on the level," you're being called out, you take a jab, hiding behind this age thing, and hope no one notices the jab?

Ok, so now, I guess I'm not understanding how the jacket of finer stranded wire is less robust than the jacket of a more solid core wire...in fact, I wasn't aware of any real difference in jackets of wires, other than application (of course)...again, I'm at a loss, please explain.

Tim
Old 02-26-03 | 03:23 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Let's keep it civil guys, good conversation and some good info!

onelasttry: Actually most of the SQ competitors drive their car to shows and some even drive it daily. You must be thinking about the SPL guys, their cars are not drivable (that's why they are not worth discussing). As for sponsorship, when it comes to SQ it does not matter who sponsors you but there is no way a good competitor would sacrifice installation safety (big deal in scoring) just to run the cable that had been sponsored.

As you see above, I do not disagree with you that fewer and thicker strands are better conductor. What I am saying that a fine 4ga strand POWER (not speaker) wire will do just fine since the difference would be unnoticeable and neglect able. As far as the power system catching fire, it would simply not happen due to the thickness of the whole wire. That what Limousine alternator shops use and those cars eat up current like crazy!
Old 02-26-03 | 03:26 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

your not looking for an answer, your looking for an argument.

sorry amigo, your not worth the bandwith. have a nice day.
Argument...opinion...doesn't matter. I may be a bit forward, but please enlighten me. Sorry if its harsh, its hard (for me anyways) to call BS nicely...you're claiming to have ALL this experience, yet when asked why, you don't answer anything. If you're the resident expert, then why?

Now, on the level, what about a larger core wire makes the jacket/insulation better than a finer more stranded wire? Why? I, like everyone else, do not want my car to burn down. You clearly have the answer. Why?

If you don't want to answer it for me, then enlighten the masses.

Tim
Old 02-27-03 | 07:11 PM
girvan
Rookie

I think some folks need to study electrical engineering 101 and mechanical engineering 101 before rambling.

Stranded wire is selected for MECHANICAL reasons. Solid wire is cheaper and easier to make but is very stiff and can fatigue if bent too much. The same gauge has the same electrical performance and thermal mass.