Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Upgrading "3 Magical wires"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-03 | 09:30 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Upgrading "3 Magical wires"

anyone got a write up on how to upgrade these "3 magical wires". if you don't know what i'm talking about its the alternator, starter, and ground.

What type of cables should i use so they don't melt?? thanks.
Old 02-24-03 | 09:57 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

4 gauge is the usual cable to upgrade to.
Old 02-24-03 | 11:02 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

do not use fine stranded wire, such as street wires, lightning audio, or other brands in the audio field unless you plan on spending some cash for some thick gauge. Fine stranded wire is used in low voltage/ low current applications. Best for speakers. Solid stranded wire that has less strands yet still retains the gauge size is a better conductor choice because if it's ability to withstand abuse of high current like the alt and starter.
Old 02-24-03 | 11:31 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by onelasttry
do not use fine stranded wire, such as street wires, lightning audio, or other brands in the audio field unless you plan on spending some cash for some thick gauge. Fine stranded wire is used in low voltage/ low current applications. Best for speakers. Solid stranded wire that has less strands yet still retains the gauge size is a better conductor choice because if it's ability to withstand abuse of high current like the alt and starter.
great info. could i just buy 4 gauge power cable with thicker strand from stereo shop. or should it be some sort of special cable so it won't melt. also how hard or whats involed in upgrading the alternator cable(how to disconect and reconect and run the cable) and same question goes for the cable that comes out of the fuse box.
Old 02-25-03 | 10:55 AM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by onelasttry
I'm sorry...huh?

How does the wire know what voltage is best for its application? It must, because you're stating that resistance/capacitance is variable, depending on application???

I'm not quite understanding what you are saying, but it sounds kind of wrong...

Jmai, its actually the "4 magical wires" as there is 1 from the alt, 1 to the starter, and 2 off the ground (one to chassis, and 1 to block). I'd use the greatest wire you have in your system, off ground, ie if you use 0/1# to power your amps, then I'd use 0/1# for ground too...its not necessary, but it just looks clean, and of course you're only as strong as your weakest link, yada yada yada...

Tim
Old 02-25-03 | 04:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

How does the wire know what voltage is best for its application? It must, because you're stating that resistance/capacitance is variable, depending on application???
Um, no. There are no variables. it is or it isnt. i suppose you just read it wrong. if you can figure out exactly what i can help you with, let me know and i will try. you can catch me in the sc forum.

FYI- own multiple store fronts, masters tech, and masters installer. I can definately help you if you can figure out a way to explain what it is that troubles you. i'll be glad to help. thanks.

to the OP: you can use fine stranded wire, but I would only use it on the audio system. The reason why people get away with it on audio systems is because the curent is only spontaneous and never constant. A 500 watt amp may be fused at 40 amps, but only peak at 40 every so often, otherwise it runs a constant of usually around 20 amps when cranked up real good. the alt will always be constant, and the starter will be heavy current constant for the time when it is on.
Old 02-25-03 | 08:19 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

is there a place online i could buy these bigger strand wires inside the 4 gauge cables?? my local stereo shop only has the skinny strands??
Old 02-25-03 | 08:44 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

There is absolutely no advantage running a low strand 4ga wire. Even if there is, the difference is so minimal that it would be unnoticeable. Just buy your regular audio power cable and go for it. Just make sure you ground your stereo system with the biggest cable that you are using in it.
Old 02-25-03 | 08:59 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by retrodrive
There is absolutely no advantage running a low strand 4ga wire. Even if there is, the difference is so minimal that it would be unnoticeable. Just buy your regular audio power cable and go for it. Just make sure you ground your stereo system with the biggest cable that you are using in it.
great thanks. one last question. should i also run my wires through that plastic tubbing like in the pictures below?? also what are some good pos/neg terminals i should buy that could accept a 2 "4 gauge" and 2 "8 gauge each"??
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading "3 Magical wires"-yellow-top.jpg  
Old 02-25-03 | 10:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

there IS a difference, as i explained earlier, the small stranded wire is not made for continuous high amperage. but each unto his own, people will make mistakes in life until something changes their mind. hopefully it wont be a burndown.
Old 02-25-03 | 10:39 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

so WHERE can i buy this thicker stuff?
Old 02-25-03 | 11:28 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Man, have you seen the stock wires? Just compare a 4ga (whatever strand) to the stock wiring. Thicker isn't it? Do you think people at Lexus are stupid enough to put bad wires on our cars? Whatever strand 4ga wire you upgrade to it is safe. For the record world car audio champions put high strand audio cables as their alternator wiring. Also go to any Limousine shops who install high amperage alternators on customer's cars and you will find a high strand 4 gauge wiring on most of them.

Jmai: Plastic tubing is for extra protection from heat and wire damage. You don't have to use them but I would advise that you do. They are easy to find in your local electric stores. Or you can check e-bay under “cable loom”.
Old 02-25-03 | 11:31 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i really wanna buy wires online because i think is much cheaper than all my local stereo shop. WHERE
Old 02-25-03 | 11:49 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Just got some cheap 25ft Stinger 4ga off e-bay. Already in mail.
Old 02-25-03 | 11:54 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

how much. cool i go search

Quick Reply: Upgrading "3 Magical wires"