Sponsored by:

Best 5 Channel amp??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-03, 07:05 PM
JDM SC4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best 5 Channel amp??

I'm thinking changing my whole system once again. Right now I have an eclipse amp 85x4 running my mids and highs, and a rockford fosgate 2 channel for my JL 10" free air.

Do ANY of you guys know which is a excellent/ good quality 5 channel amp on the market right now? I'm looking for something in the area of 75x4 and 300x1 watts RMS. I've found some alpine and ppi. anything else you guys can think of?

oh, what about the xtant x603? those are 3 channel amps, but i hear you can use the rear fill and make it a 5 channel. only thing is that you lose front and rear fade.

any help would greatly be appreciated. thanks!

TIA
Old 02-27-03, 07:13 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/5005.html
Old 02-27-03, 07:25 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I am running PPI PCX5800
http://carstereotime.com/precision/pcx5800.html
Old 02-27-03, 08:13 PM
JDM SC4
Pole Position

MW & BananaGS, thanks for the link! those two amps were in my top 3 actually.

i was wondering about the JL amp because the rear will be 25x2 while the fronts were around 100 or so?

BananaGS, what free air are you running? what about your mids? was there enough power displaced for the whole system?

once again, thanks again!
Old 02-27-03, 08:25 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

JDM SC4,

If you search old threads, you will find I am not a rear fill favorite for a 2 door car like the SC. The SC uses the rear deck for the sub and then mounts the rear fill next to that. I just unplugged the rear deck speakers and think it sounds much better. The 25x2 from the JL amp is great for rear presence.

My advice would be to save the cash from not getting a 5 channel and get nice 4 channel mixed-mode that can bridge the rears for the sub. Then invest the money into some sweet front separates.

MW
Old 02-27-03, 08:57 PM
JDM SC4
Pole Position

Originally posted by pcmw
JDM SC4,

If you search old threads, you will find I am not a rear fill favorite for a 2 door car like the SC. The SC uses the rear deck for the sub and then mounts the rear fill next to that. I just unplugged the rear deck speakers and think it sounds much better. The 25x2 from the JL amp is great for rear presence.

My advice would be to save the cash from not getting a 5 channel and get nice 4 channel mixed-mode that can bridge the rears for the sub. Then invest the money into some sweet front separates.

MW
MW,
yes, i've searched the threads for about 3 hrs now looking at amp installs from lex luthor and also perry and his fiberglass box. right now i have components in the rear, but am just thinking of getting some pioneer 3 ways running at 50 watts RMS while fitting some real nice 6.5 components in the front like the others have done. a local shop wants $70 for this task alone. I remember not installing my rear speakers and the front sounded real nice! but i would like "some" kind of noise coming from the rear even with the sub there.

i actually have an eclipse 32440 or something like that and it can do 4/3/2 channel mode. i'm actually looking for a 5 channel because i sold my old two channel for a good 300 to a friend, and i can sell my amp right now for about 200. i'm not really losing either way.

the other thing i noticed is that most amps runs wattage at 4 ohms, while the JL 10" IB4 that i'm goign to get is at 8 ohms. i have to figure out how to wire that also... the search continues...

thanks again MW.
Old 02-27-03, 09:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I dont like 5 channel amps at all personally because of the smaller power supplies. they are usually built on similar power supplies to the 4 channel brother of that model in the lineup and even with a little beef, they still dont have the juice to drive 4 channels and a sub like a seperate sub amp would.

if i had to pick though, i am most impressed with xtants power supplies.
Old 02-27-03, 09:15 PM
JDM SC4
Pole Position

Originally posted by onelasttry
I dont like 5 channel amps at all personally because of the smaller power supplies. they are usually built on similar power supplies to the 4 channel brother of that model in the lineup and even with a little beef, they still dont have the juice to drive 4 channels and a sub like a seperate sub amp would.

if i had to pick though, i am most impressed with xtants power supplies.
with that being said, what do you think of the xtant x603? they're actually a 3 channel amp, but people say you can add a chip and it'll be a 5 channel. any input?
Old 02-27-03, 09:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

i will always support the idea of a seperate sub amp myself, but this is your car. the absolute most impressive raw power supplies have always been u.s. amps IMO. Problem is they have a tendency to burn down below 11 volts so stable voltage is always a must. My pick overall goes to us amps, best multiple channel for mids would go to xtant. this is just my opinion from working inside them a lot in my stores. I have owned and sold everything on the market and these had the most ***** and stayed clean. again, JMO.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-28-03 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-28-03, 07:27 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

JDM SC4
since you have an SC, 25W in the back should do fine, even enouf for the 4doors GS.
I am running free air using the stock sub now (still deciding on box or not box hee hee, don't like IB4, 8ohm, I am going to run 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect DVC, 2ohm, in free air application; should work according to Infinity specs, but if that does not work as my plan, I can build a box for it then, 96dB sesitivity , I had this before, this is one of the best sub I have, even better than the ID that I have in another car)

The PPI amp actually put out 400W RMS when running with the stock sub at 2ohm. Thus, I got plenty of juice, I had to turn my sub channel gain all the way down.

There are some pictures of the amp installed in my car, see my website, DIY#22 I think.

I used Sony amp before, they are good amp too, not up to the abuse level, but they are good for everyday use.

Last edited by BananaGS; 02-28-03 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 07:33 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

The amp take up the whole length of the trunk, this thing is LONG
Attached Thumbnails Best 5 Channel amp??-p1010029.jpg  
Old 02-28-03, 12:11 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Talking ppi...

one of my all time favorite amps...jl's five channel is nice...and eclipse new 5 channel is sweet as well.
Old 03-02-03, 08:45 AM
frankjrsES
Driver School Candidate

What do you think of the Memphis belles? MC600D, or MC1300D?
Old 03-02-03, 05:23 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard the Arc Audio 5150-CXLR 5-channel amplifier in many different friends' systems and needless to say: I was impressed! For something more along the budget, Alpine 5-channel amplifiers are pretty cost-efficient.

Last edited by LS400; 03-02-03 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-02-03, 11:09 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I second the suggestion on ARC 5150CXL. ARC has another new lines of amps so CXL will slowly but surely disappear. Might be some good blowout prices on CXL line.

P.S. That PPI is pimp

Quick Reply: Best 5 Channel amp??