Sponsored by:

XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-03, 02:31 PM
dubl59zy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio

Does anyone have any ideas about how to install XM Radio while minimally affecting the interior? I don't like how the Sirius head unit (I think that's what it calls) looks in my other car, and would really like to avoid changing the look of the interior. --sw
Old 03-02-03, 04:13 PM
SCLEX
Pole Position

There are three ways of getting the XM radio, two of them almost defeat the purpose of XM radio though. The first one, which would change the interior is to get the head unit that already is XM ready, i.e. Alpine. Additionally, you can buy the Delphi XM satellite radio tuner, which is abut $169 and buy the car kit which is like $60. That car kit has a tape which would go in the tape deck and play through there . Finally, the Delphi also has an FM modulated XM receiver that would least invade your interior, but that defeats the purpose of the crystal clear radio stations, but you still would have coast to coast coverage and commercial free radio stations. The choice is up to you.
-Richard
Old 03-03-03, 12:49 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If anyone's running XM or Sirius in their SC400/300, I'd be interested in knowing where the antenna went.
Old 12-17-05, 02:05 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

soo...as PerryinLA asked, anyone running XM or Sirius? I've seen a few pics on other threads of mounting headunits, but I'm curious where / how you ran the antenna...I'm thinking of mounting on / around the trunk, and I guess running the antenna wire along with the built in radio antenna...but I don't know how to access that hole. Any help / other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Or perhaps anyone of you guys who have swapped out the rear seats, can you show me / point out the eastist way to pop the back seat out just a bit so I can run the antenna wire in to the trunk?

TIA
Old 12-17-05, 02:12 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yikes! That post of mine was ANCIENT!
Since then, it's all been figured out- just do a search on Sirius and my name for the whole story.
I started with it under the windshield, then the forward part of the trunk, until I worked out the ultimate solution:

Now you see it:

Now you don't:

Old 12-17-05, 02:12 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have xm direct link in my nissan and im putting it in my sc also. i have my atenna on my dash in the corner on my 240. right where most inspection stickers go. im thinking about doing it the same way on the sc.
Old 12-17-05, 02:14 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Yikes! That post of mine was ANCIENT! Since then, it's all been figured out- just do a search on Sirius and my name for the whole story:

Now you see it:

Now you don't:

i like that idea too
Old 12-17-05, 02:25 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

BigManne - WOW! I like that idea...hinding in the spoiler. Thanks for the pics. Hmmm...still wondering how you ran the wire into the interior...did you just follow the stock radio antenna?

Originally Posted by BigManne
i have xm direct link in my nissan and im putting it in my sc also. i have my atenna on my dash in the corner on my 240. right where most inspection stickers go. im thinking about doing it the same way on the sc.
So you just mounted it on your dash? Hmm...that seams much easier than having to run the wires all the way to the trunk....anyone know if there is an advantage in placing the antenna in the rear of the car? I don't think there should be a different, but I'm new to satellite radio, so I'm a bit clueless....
Old 12-17-05, 05:07 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you ask, I just installed mine.
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio-xmradio.jpg  
Old 12-17-05, 05:10 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Another picture
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio-xmradio2.jpg  
Old 12-17-05, 05:11 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

If you mount the antenna on the dash, rear widow or pretty much anywhere inside, you will have reception issues. It needs to be mounted outside for best reception, on the roof by either the windsheild or the rear glass. I have mine in the back, right in the center right off the rear window glass.

The xm antennas are a bit smaller than that sirius, so there not so obtrustive. For the ultimate in stealth, you can do an under spoiler mount as the unit will work through glass, fiberglass, plastic and the like but doesn't like to go through metal, so if you catch a sat one the horizion, the top of the car may block it.

I have the XM commander in my car and love it, but might not if I had to pay retail on it. Best Buy has roady 2's on sale for 20$ right now (I know, I'm an installer there)/
Old 12-17-05, 05:12 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Antenna Mounting.. And yes, it picks up PERFECTLY mounted inside the car's rear window (just put it close to the back). ...P.S> I use to install this stuff for a living (former Roadshop manager).

The RF Modulator is VERY clear (well as clear as an modulator can be). I have ZERO static and no problems with reception. BTW: I have 30% tint on the back window, your tint may play a factor if it is too dark.

ALSO, Remember that if you are hardwiring the XM unit it is 6volts NOT 12. You will have to pick up a female cigarette lighter adapter from Radio Shack to wire into your car. Sirius is 12vts though, so you can directly wire it into your car.
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio-xmantenna.jpg  

Last edited by IronCobra; 12-17-05 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-18-05, 04:44 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

It all depends on the amount of metal in the tint. All the high end tints are usually metalized so that may give you problems. I've had other shops put the antenna in the dash and had to fix it too many times to bother with putting the antennas inside the car.

You don't really need one of those females cig lighter adaptors, you can just soldier leads on to the pins for the cig lighter adaptor it comes with. If you pull the casing off, pull the fuse, tip and the spring out, you can soldier it on then run the power wire out the center where the tip and fuse used to be.
Old 12-18-05, 08:02 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SpinAll4

You don't really need one of those females cig lighter adaptors, you can just soldier leads on to the pins for the cig lighter adaptor it comes with. If you pull the casing off, pull the fuse, tip and the spring out, you can soldier it on then run the power wire out the center where the tip and fuse used to be.
That's what I did to mine, but the simplest route is to get the part if he is close.
Old 12-18-05, 04:18 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Thanks a bunch guys!! All the info is fantastic. I think I might try the set up that IronCobra did (regarding the placement of the antenna). Now I've gotta decide where to mount the receiver...lol...

About the RF Modulator...according to the little manual that came with the unit, the tape deck adapter is supposed to have significantly better quality...any feedback on this?

Quick Reply: XM Radio