Sponsored by:

Off-Topic: Boat Audio Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-03, 08:13 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Default Off-Topic: Boat Audio Help

I'm sick and tired of winter and ready for warmer weather! As part of my preparation for spring, I'm starting to think about de-winterizing, detailing my boat (a SeaRay 240 Sundeck) and getting it prepped for use. One thing that always bothered me was the quality of the factory stereo in the boat and I want to upgrade. It's currently a marine Clarion CD unit with four speakers.

What I want to do is:
- Upgrade the existing speakers to better marine speakers
- Add a subwoofer
- Add an amp
- Add a Kenwood Music Keg (solid state MP3 drive)
- Add a second battery / charger hookup

I'm reluctant to change the head unit because there are multiple controls for it on the boat. The head unit is mounted in a large storage area in front of the cockpit. There are two other remote auxilliary control areas wired to it (cockpit, back of boat) that I don't want to change.

I've searched the web for info on marine audio without much luck, and thought that some of you guys that live and breath this stuff might be able to point me to some online resources and/or offer advice.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Off-Topic:  Boat Audio Help-240sd_1024-smaller.jpg  
Old 03-07-03, 09:04 AM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

Wow, nice boat...

I can't provide a whole lot of information, sorry, but Pioneer does make marine speakers...the battery should be easy, as any boat place should be familiar with adding multiple batteries...

As for the amp/keg/sub issue...I'm not too sure if they make marine grade subs/amps (I'm pretty sure they don't make a keg), so these might have to be units that you remove when you get home, and/or you might have to create a special rack for them...its going to be a pain in the butt! Will this be fresh water? Ocean?

As for integrating the keg into what you currently have, you'd need a source selector (unless that Clarion has a set of inputs, like on the sub-out) and that pretty much eliminates the luxury of having your multiple remotes, since you won't be able to control the source selection remotely...

Tim
Old 03-07-03, 09:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks Tim.

I'll only keep this in freshwater (at least for now). My job may end up taking me to New Orleans for an extended stay so I don't want to say it'll never go into salt water.

I've never seen any marine grade amps or subs either, but I'd thought that I'd get a box or custom mount made for the sub and attach the amp directly to it. Then place both in the enclosed storage area well out of the way, probably mounted off the floor. I don't have a direct picture of it, but the one below shows the cockpit and the little black door handle around the corner is where the compartment is. The area is big enough to fit a person into (crouched over) and there is a little window that I keep closed. I can't see how water would get in there but hey it's a boat, so I wouldn't rule it out. There is also a small head (never used as a head, only storage) across from the storage area that I could use, but I'd prefer to keep it in the spot where the radio is mounted. Will make wiring easier as well.

I was planning on using the Kenwood Sirius / Music Keg FM adaptor to connect the keg; doubt the Clairon has any inputs. Yeah, I know it's kind of crappy, but this isn't going to be an audiophile system - and they're MP3's anyway. I think Kenwood has a remote source changer as well, but I''ll probably just put that right next to the head unit.

I've recently thrown in the battery idea to my list and that should be the easiest to do like you say. My concern is that we might be in the water for an extended period out swimming & drinking while listening to music and (with the new amp) draw down the regular battery. Don't want to have to row back to shore or radio for a jumpstart . I've seen the little bridge deals that you can hook multiple batteries up to. Probably a good idea to have a backup on there anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Off-Topic:  Boat Audio Help-boat-door.jpg  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-07-03 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-07-03, 12:00 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you get a yacht there is no point in trying SQ...

The amp on the box is exactly what I'd recommend. It sounds like you already covered the input/source selection. I'd get a fiberglass box made for you, so that its lighter and doesn't asborb water and expand like MDF would. Marine grade plywood is rather heavy...

Tim
Old 03-07-03, 12:08 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave,

You're doing exactly what I've wanted to do on my parents boat for years! As far as marine audio equipment, pioneer makes some speakers as Tim said, and then a few companies make marine decks. Definitely no marine grade amps or subs. You're going to have to use normal car audio stuff.

Here's what I think, make sure to mount the gear you put in off the floor, the higher up the better. Low areas on boats are almost guarenteed to see water at some point. I would mount subs vertically also. A fiberglass box would be cool too, although expensive.

The second battery is probably a good idea, and easiest on your to do list. I think you may have to buy some switch that routes the power from the 2 batteries, I don't know for sure. A dead battery sucks when you have a big boat! The battery died once on mine a while back and I had to row back to shore with one paddle, luckily I was fairly close.

Earl!
Old 03-07-03, 03:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Update:

Some more searching and I found a site that had some suprising items.

http://www.audio-n-more.com/marine_applications/
http://www.full-line-audio.com/car_a...plications.htm
http://www.seaworthy.net/ampsub.html

Marine MB Quart for one. I'm not a big fan of MBQ, but I bet in an unenclosed area they wouldn't sound so bright. I probably would not do the separates, really would just replace existing speakers. Also found Infiniti Kappa marine speakers.

They also have marine amps (JL, JBL, Clarion) & marine version powered Bazooka subs. A couple of 10" Bazooka's might not be bad for this application.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-07-03 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-07-03, 03:32 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cool, there are many more options since the last time I checked. good luck with your project and I forgot to say before, NICE boat!!!