Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

i feel bad, but don't know why??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-03 | 04:57 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Question i feel bad, but don't know why??

i am having a stereo installed in a few days, and i have those darn thoughts about me regreting what i am doing. Its going to be a super set up, and i have been getting ideas and estimates for months upon end. I am doing pioneer nav and dvd drive(sys900-6400) JL xr components, 2 pioneer headrest monitors, 2 pioneer sunvisor monitors. Mounted flush inside the sunvisor, not sticking out, or on the outside. 2 JLW7 10 inch woofers, 2 500/1 jl amps to those, and 300/4 to the components, ps2 in my glove compartment. cap and optima battery I am having a nice fiberglass set up made,Having it painted the same color as my car in the trunk. or i can go a lil cheaper route with the vinyl. I don't want to go cheap cause i want to do my car justice, and i never had a chance to with my other cars. AFTER THIS I AM DONE SPENDING. I think that i should just do it and quit worrying and just save my money after this hit. any ideas. I am getting by far the cheapest way possible. And the work is suppose to be top notch. Any thoughts????
Old 03-09-03 | 06:11 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Cool lol

i must ask stupid questions...or make up stupid threads..lol..its funny no one has told me anything yet..lol..
Old 03-09-03 | 06:21 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

cheap and top-notch dont necessarily go hand-in-hand. but you are just feeling some jitters. trust me, if they do a good job, when you see and turn it on, you will feel tons better. i had the same feelings when i was doing car stereo. car gone for weeks at a time. only i didnt know what was being done. i just told the installer that "i want to win" and gave him a limit. when i got the car back, i was overwhelmed. we're talking perma-grin. here's hoping that you have the same experience.......

Doc
Old 03-09-03 | 06:34 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Default Re: lol

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
i must ask stupid questions...or make up stupid threads..lol..its funny no one has told me anything yet..lol..
Well, if I am reading the timestamps of your messages correctly, you allowed only an hour between your posts on a Sunday afternoon. But if you want to hear something, I am never short on opinion. You are caught in the classic euphoria of the buy followed by the letdown and regret of the actual purchase. The only way to feed this "need" is to keep on spending or to get a life. Myself, I prefer to keep on spending. Unless you plan to enter your car into shows, live in your car or can count these types of installs as a serious hobby, I personally feel your $$$ could be better spent elsewhere. Before you count me as yet another J@ck@ss on the board, here's my reasoning: last time I had a nice install I spent -ALL- my time paranoid about people stealing the car, breaking into the car and keeping lists of all the places I refused to go because the car would not be safe. Next, I only spend an hour or so in my car a day commuting and other than doing a stealth audio upgrade I would not have time to appreciate the $$$ spent. I'd much rather spend the money on a home theatre upgrade or some other home improvement. And now to prove I'm talking out of both sides of my face, I am spending big bucks upgrading the go fast performance of the car despite the fact that 95% of my drive I'm stuck in stop and go -- to each his own.
Old 03-09-03 | 07:22 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up thanks.

I enjoy checking other peoples comments and opinion's. What i meant was "getting by on the cheapest way possible and getting a good job". I got estimates from places in town, and other surrounding places. I got estimates as high as 17k to 12k I told them they were crazy. These guys seem very reasonable and also wanting the business. They seemed to want to work on something nice compared to other rides they get. I really don't do much other than work, and attend school, and the other college type activites. I have money in saving's and i am not spending my last nickel. A clean stereo is so nice too...and i am worried about what the doc said n not having my car back, and not seeing what is going on. I have spoke to the installer alot. He seems confident and happy to be working on something very nice. To be honest i told him, the only thing i was wondering about "overkill" was the tv's in the visor. But as long as it looks good. But what could i do if we have issues on somethings after all is said and done??
Old 03-09-03 | 07:53 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

You said that you researched this for a while before you jumped, so I assume you checked the installer out carefully and looked at some other jobs. Have you checked with other people that have had work done and asked about issues and follow up? Is the guy part of a shop or is he a solo act? What assurance do you have they will be around in a few months or longer? Will the work be warrantied? Can you watch the work as it's being done or at least check on a regular basis the interim steps? As I'm typing this it sounds just like getting contractors to work on my house. Good thing you are not spending every penny up front, because just like work on a house the cost is invariably higher than initially estimated [often by choice as you change your mind or decide to upgrade].

Good luck and may the install be smooth and hassle free.
Old 03-09-03 | 09:00 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up redman

you bring up some good points i should have mentioned. The shop has been around for several years and is prob one of the longest lasting stereo shops in lex,ky. They all have warrentys on there products and labor. Some of the items he is installing are already in my possession, so i will be getting warrenty on the labor n not the parts..but there brand new, and prob a month worth of useage. I could watch if i wanted to, and i want to...but i have school and work...kinda lame, but i need not worry about the car when midterm tests are this week. But my pops said to me when i mentioned about the stereo "You going to try and get your car stolen." He made a decent point..but no use worrying about something of that nature...but i am moving the rear headrests up to the front for the pioneer widescreens . I think its going to look so freakin awesome...any ideas on the fiberglass n what i should do....i want to save some trunk space.
Old 03-13-03 | 11:32 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

The purchase and regret thing happens to me sometimes too, but it usually passes after the initial doubting, especially when it's something I've thought out before I buy.

Sounds like you should have a nice setup; is the Pioneer HU you're looking at the 6400 monitor with the single DIN DVD player? If so, I'd like to know what you think of it after install, I'm strongly considering that route; I've heard some good reviews but it's always nice to hear more opinions before you purchase.

Good luck with the install, sounds like you've done your homework, and that's a good part of the battle.