Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Head Units - Stock Amp/Speaker questions and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 12:44 AM
nikovdh
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket Head Units - Stock Amp/Speaker questions and concerns

Hi. I recently got a 1999 ES300 in mint condition, I'm in love. However, I find myself desiring to get a nice double DIN aftermarket touch screen head unit to create a nice interface in my car for music. I have zero knowledge of audio/video although I follow instructions well. I've learned some things from researching, to find that our Lexus's are a little difficult with these upgrades.

So I have some questions about the installing of a new head unit, as far as stock amplifier/speakers, because it seems there are some options here and I'd like to know how each works out as far as pros, cons, and quality concerns.

~~~ If someone is using an aftermarket head unit, from what I've read, it seems they can try to use the stock amp&speakers by using a ground loop isolator to eliminate the inevitable noise that comes with this situation. My question for this scenario is, is this a bad idea? Will it destroy your stock system down the road? Do you retain the quality sound of the stock unit when doing this? It seems like this is a money saving option. Pros, Cons?

~~~ With the above situation of using your stock amp/speakers, it seems another option is BYPASSING the stock amplifier. How does this work? Does it end up using the aftermarket head unit's built in amplifier? Is this a bad scenario, being that the speakers are still stock? Will you damage the speakers down the road? Will you still receive audio through all stock speakers and subwoofer? Pros, Cons? Quality?

~~~ It seems another option is to buy a new amplifier, but use the stock speakers. I suppose this is similiar to the previous scenario of a head units built in amplifier, but is it different? Pros, Cons, Concerns, Quality?

~~~ Now it seems you could buy new speakers, and a new amplifier along with the new head unit.. but this sounds like it could be ridiculously expensive and like a pain in the *** + high installation costs + chance for some idiot damaging car, etc.

~~~ My less desirable option would probably be to get an aux jack incorporated into the stock head unit via the guide posted on these Lexus forums. I wonder what I could do with that as far as possibly connecting some kind of miscellaneous devices to an aux jack, such as USB, SD cards, bluetooth to gain some of the benefits of newer head unit functionalities without changing head unit (and not having to connect/ use my phone to select music) I could spend a lot of time searching high and low.. so if anyone knows about anything, post it up!

On a side note. I live in Southern California (Inland Empire) if there are any recommended stores to do an exceptional quality installation please let me know. Doing it myself might not be the best option here.
Old 01-26-15, 08:33 AM
lexus997
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps you should answer a primary question before anyone tackles answers:

How much have you budgeted for the solution?
Old 01-27-15, 03:31 PM
Mr503
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would by pass the amp. If you are just installing a double din head unit it will be enough to power the stock speakers. If you go aftermarket get a 4 channel amp the difference will be night and day. You should plan your system out according to your budget and sound preference. Use different websites or YouTube. Also check sonic electronix or Amazon for deals and your budget will take you further. Never buy car audio from a store but use them as a tool to demo speakers and head units. Hope this helps.