Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Streaming Slacker or Ipod MP3 Lame?
Streaming Slacker via ENFORM
0%
iPod MP3 LAME
0%
MP3
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

FLAC vs Streaming Slacker

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 07:06 AM
marc r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLAC vs Streaming Slacker

In my 2013 ES300h, I just installed the Enform app and tried my new Galaxy S5 with Slacker, and frankly was impressed by what seemingly is a higher bandwidth than the MP3 Lame files I converted from my master FLAC library. Simply it sounds noticeably better... at least to my ears.

My FLAC collection of 1600+ Songs is at 47GB, and I converted them for IPOD use to the LAME 8GB that the iPod could handle.

I believe I need to convert the FLAC to Apple Lossles as its the only High Quality format that is recognzed by both the vehicle and my S5.......

Has anyone else done anything similar and been happy with the FLAC conversion to Apple Lossless?

Was Streaming Slacker still superior?:confused
Old 02-20-15, 10:55 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slacker’s 128-kbps MP3 bit rate leaves a lot to be desired. No comparison to flac lossless. Personally I can't stand to even listen to 128kbps. Sound just sucks.
If you want decent streaming try Apple@256 kbps and Google play. The latter streams in 320-kbps. Then there's Tidal which streams in 1411 kbps. That's $20 a month. Keep looking and you'll find some better alternatives to Slacker/ Pandora etc.
Old 02-21-15, 07:55 AM
marc r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ipod / FLAC Alternatives that maintain Audio Quality?

Thanks RX for your suggestions. At this point, My largest iPod is a 30GB model, though When I convert my 48GB of FLAC, I attempted to wring out the highest quality conversion to Apple "Lossless" (as WMA is not even a though at this point) and I's now 13GB of Apple MP3 LAME 320kpbs which I used dB Poweramp.

Why Lexus couldn't implement a higher quality option is beyond me, since FLAC is an open standard and they would not of had to pay a royalty for each use.

Do you have any suggestions as to a different Format Scheme an/or Player (Bluetooth or USB) that would allow a Higher Quality conversion that actually sounded better?

I thought with my new SmartPhone (Galaxy S5) with a 64GB card that I would be able to take advantage of its size to play my FLAC Files without compromise... little did I know that neither Samsung or Lexus had no interest in what I wanted!
Old 02-21-15, 01:47 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I don't. My expertise in the Enform area and what would be a suitable mod/hack is lacking. Unless you get a blue tooth "box" that plugs into the hu aux jack but is independent of it that then is able to convert your high res over to the Enfrom. But then as you well know that's going through a lot of contortions. Each electronic gear that you add and pass the music through will have it's electronic fingerprint if not on the music it'll be apparent in the speakers.

I'm no expert but I'd be willing to bet someone at an experienced shop could figure it out. There are some shops now that have employees who have the chops to figure out "car-puters".