Sponsored by:

Anyone ever run a Kicker L5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 03:23 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever run a Kicker L5?

Hello all. I'm in the process of putting together a small system in my GS and was looking for amplifier recommendations to pair it up with. I'm awaiting a 10" Kicker L5 (4ohm) delivery and not sure what amp to pair it with. I'm assuming a Mono amp would suffice and was leaning towards a Rockford Fosgate or Kicker amp. The sub itself is capable of 600RMS and I was looking for something that would push 400-500RMS from the amp. I've searched and while all the options I've come across look good, I'm mixed on what I should get.

I'm leaving the interior speakers as-is (Mark Levinson) and just adding the sub and amp. I'm aware that the ML sub will not be used which is fine by me as it doesn't hit the lows that well and can't really hang once you put the volume up -- I currently have my Mid & Bass settings below the halfway mark and it just doesn't do well when the volume increases and rattles a bit.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-10-15, 07:34 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always liked JL AUDIO offerings. Not sure on your budget though. I have the XD600/1 mono and it's a little guy that puts out a very impressive amount of clean muscle on my 2 hr commute. Handles everything from Bassmechanik, Noise boys, EDM and other heavy bass songs well. In many of those songs(I hesitate to call them songs) 20hz is served without strain or stutter. Then on fast attack drum solo such as Slipknots Sulfur power is not an issue nor does it falter. All this while the gain setting is on half. It runs very cool, has a small footnprint, is affordable while allowing gobs of power in reserve to be tapped into.
What's not to like?

Another to consider is the Alpine PDX 600/1 amp. A VERY good amp on par with JL Audio.
Also a huge thumbs up to JL slash line up.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 03-10-15 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-12-15, 04:30 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
I've always liked JL AUDIO offerings. Not sure on your budget though. I have the XD600/1 mono and it's a little guy that puts out a very impressive amount of clean muscle on my 2 hr commute. Handles everything from Bassmechanik, Noise boys, EDM and other heavy bass songs well. In many of those songs(I hesitate to call them songs) 20hz is served without strain or stutter. Then on fast attack drum solo such as Slipknots Sulfur power is not an issue nor does it falter. All this while the gain setting is on half. It runs very cool, has a small footnprint, is affordable while allowing gobs of power in reserve to be tapped into.
What's not to like?

Another to consider is the Alpine PDX 600/1 amp. A VERY good amp on par with JL Audio.
Also a huge thumbs up to JL slash line up.
Thanks for the info man! I'm going to look into both of those shortly and compare. Also, would it make sense to install a capacitor with this setup? I'm only running one sub with the aftermarket amp tied to it. Or would the stock power supply of the car suffice? I have a 2008 GS 350.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-15, 03:52 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No caps needed. I have two JL amps, a 600/1 & 600/6 running all speakers and JL audio 10Tw3 sub. My RX runs fine without lights dimming or other issues.
I think(although I'm not an expert) you'd need one if you get up to 3 subs at 1000 watts each and so forth. Then yes, an extra battery, caps and the like would be needed to support that.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out
Old 03-17-15, 10:24 PM
Steve2424
Driver

So I was finally able to get around to installing everything. I ended up pairing the sub up with a JL JX500/1D and it hits hard. The enclosure I have it in is a bit small so eventually I'll swap it for a larger one. I decided to go with a sealed enclosure to keep the bass tighter in case anyone was curious of the enclosure type.