Sponsored by:

ML sub doesn't sound right, foam still in-tact

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 10:58 AM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question ML sub doesn't sound right, foam still in-tact

Well I don't know too much about audio and technical terms but I'll try my best to explain. The Mark Levinson sub in my 2001 LS430 seems to sound like the cone isn't vibrating properly. When I listen to a song that has deep, low bass, the sub sounds pretty good. When I listen to a song with up beat higher tones of bass, the sub doesn't sound right at all. It sounds like it's blown, or like it can't vibrate properly. I searched around and found that the foam commonly deteriorates, causing the bass to sound bad. I ordered the replacement foam and once it arrived, went through the process of removing my rear seats to get to the sub, only to find that the foam had already been replaced previously and it looked new, fully in-tact at every point.

Now I'm stumped. When I had my sub out, I noticed that the cone looked super old and worn. Not sure if this is an issue. I also noticed that on the reverse side, the small strip of foam that goes around the metal on the back of the sub looked like it had been flattened and it was slipping. This meant that the metal of the sub had been in contact with the metal of my frame where the sub lays in the trunk deck. I tried my best to peel the foam off and put it back onto the metal where it had slipped off, but some metal was still exposed. I reinstalled the sub and did not notice any improvement in the bass after this.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. Maybe I need a new sub, or it could be one of the following:
1. Maybe the foam was not centered properly on the cone when it was replaced
2. Maybe the small strip of foam on the backside is just too thin and worn out and is causing metal on metal vibration
3. My friend said maybe my amp is going bad? However, all other speakers sound great
4. The cone itself is too old an worn?

So not sure what to do from here. Trying to save myself $300 from buying new ML Any help / related experiences would be great!

ML sub doesn't sound right, foam still in-tact-img_5073.jpg ML sub doesn't sound right, foam still in-tact-img_5070-1-.jpg ML sub doesn't sound right, foam still in-tact-img_5071.jpg
Old 03-15-15, 11:48 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who says you have to replace it with a M&L sub?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/720758-mark-levinson-sub-replacement-diy-8.html

and a GREAT thread on LS430
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/511807-how-to-ls430-mark-levinson-everything-w-pics-and-part-s.html

Last edited by rxonmymind; 03-16-15 at 12:01 AM.