Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

92 SC300 - Ever tapped into existing amp wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-03, 09:22 AM
abudhu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 92 SC300 - Ever tapped into existing amp wiring?

I am in the process of changing out the stock speakers and stock amp, and was wondering if anyone out
there has tapped into the wiring harnesses in the trunk amplifier to ease the installation?
I plan on keeping my head unit (still like the stock look), but would like to wire up to the inputs and outputs
of the existing stock amp to ease the installation. I've found the pinouts, so that's not a prob. Just
wondering if anyone out there has done something similar, how did it sound?, and any pitfalls to look
out for? I noticed from the pin outs going to the amp, that the headunit is providing the +signal to the
four speakers, but it looks like it just has 1 "signal ground."

I was thinking that to use these signals, I would wire them up to a LOC, and plug them into the amp
that way, but would you use the 1 "signal ground" four times? for the for channels?

Can you see my confusion? Someone please enlighten me, or point me to a thread or something that I missed.

Thanks,
Alan
Attached Thumbnails 92 SC300 - Ever tapped into existing amp wiring?-front-side.jpg  
Old 03-19-03, 11:02 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted an explanation with all the wiring colours you need, try to search for it, you should be able to find it.

Everyone take a look at his nice White SC with the Momo Sports, an older model updated the right way...
Old 03-19-03, 12:45 PM
abudhu
Driver School Candidate

Default still looking....

Hey Lex,

I'm searching and searching and come up with zilch....I must be searching wrong or something.

Don't get me wrong, I have the pin outs for the amp. What I was wondering is if you had used
the stock wiring to hook up your aftermarket amps and speakers..... If you have a link to the
thread that you posted, that might help my sad searching skills.

Thanks!
Alan
Old 03-19-03, 02:03 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the hack for the stereo system but its the Nakamichi...I'm going to have to look it up for you..
Old 03-20-03, 08:56 AM
abudhu
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Started working on the rear deck last night. Even though I'm not sure which amp and how I am
ultimately going to wire it, I figured I could start replacing the stocks. Pull the seats out and
rear deck cover (thanks to instructions I found here). The stock 4" looked nasty! I was shocked,
but I guess 10 years will do that sort of thing, huh? Here are some pics of what I did. Even though
it's all still running off stock amp, they sound soooo much better. The woofer install turned out
great. Since the woofer did not fit flush (Huge magnet hitting the gas tank as you all know already),
I had to build a wood trim to make it look a little better. I take that back, my pops built that one, so
I gotta give him credit.

I've have the stereo system hack, that's not the problem. Question is what connections would you use for the LOC? The + i have no problems with. It's the - signal, cause it looks like there is only one for all
four speakers going into the stock amp (signal ground). Any ideas? I've searched, but either I'm doing something wrong, or it's not there.

Thanks!
Alan
Attached Thumbnails 92 SC300 - Ever tapped into existing amp wiring?-reardeck.jpg  
Old 03-20-03, 09:52 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

very nice so far. wow i can imagine the diff in sound the speakers made from those old 4"

i replaced my stock speakers too with infinity components