Sponsored by:

02 GS300 Stereo install problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-03, 04:11 PM
redwoodnla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 GS300 Stereo install problems

I have a 2002 GS300 and I'm having some problems that I thoughtsomeone here might be able to help me with. I also wanted to say thanks in advance to anyone (if anyone responds) who takes the time to review my problem and then respond.

My goal with the car is to take the Factory stock system (which i really like) and take it to the next level or two.

The factory system has (i think) got all the speaker wires coming out of the head unit into a factory amp (just under the glove box) and then everything feeds to the speakers.

There are a total of 7 speakers in system,
5 1/4" in the front doors with a separate tweeter higher up on the doors.
6 1/2 " in the 2 rear doors
10" sub mounted in the rear deck (free-air)

Ok Here are my questions:

1) Replacing the head unit is not an option that is available to me (numerous reasons) so I'm forced to use a hi-level to low-level (RCA) converter when adding any additional amps, etc...am I right in this assumption.

2) Is there any after-market wiring harnesses that anyone is aware off for this car.

3) Anyone seen any wiring diagrams, technical manuals, etc for this car?

4) If I just grab the speaker wires from the 10" sub and run em through a hi-low converter and into a AMP and put in a different 10" is that going to be ok?

5) Or should I be concerned with the fact that the speaker wire for the sub is passing through the factory AMP? Does the signal get crossed over at any point?

6) If I plan to upgrade the front door speakers + the rear door speakers + an additional amp to power those speakers, should I just unplug everything from the factory amp? Then install 3x hi-low converters (one for the front end, one for the rear, and one for the sub) and run RCA's back to the trunk for the amps?

Well I guess that's it for now. Again thanks for your help...
Thanks for your time.
Patrick
Old 03-21-03, 09:07 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Patrick:
There is much information here in the posts on the very topics you are asking about. Try searching for each question, you should be able to fill in your knowledge quickly.

The sub upgrade is as you say, fairly simple, many have had good results. If you have the CD changer, beware that the output is routed to the amp separately from the headunit, making upgrades non-trivial.

Try Blitzsafe.com, and autotoys.com.