I Need some info please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 05:31 PM
babyboy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I Need some info please help

Okay,
I know nothing about stereos and I want to get a system but dont want to get ripped off so if you guys could help me out a little i would very mouch appreciate it.

First: If i want to run two 12 inch alpine type R's i know i am goin to need at least 1000 watts in an amp. I am confused if this would be a mono amp or a 2 channel amp? Also what brands are the most widely trusted.

Second: How bad do gs trunks rattle? Is it a must to get dynomatt and if so does it stop all of the vibrations.

Third: What kind of component speakers would you recomend and about how big of an amp do you think i will need to run these?

Thanks a lot guys
Old 03-21-03, 10:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

First: If i want to run two 12 inch alpine type R's i know i am goin to need at least 1000 watts in an amp. I am confused if this would be a mono amp or a 2 channel amp? Also what brands are the most widely trusted.
use ohms law to determine which amp will put the most wattage out. use an audio control product to custom tailor the sound to your likeing. monoblock amps are preferred for the better build quality. doesnt matter if it's a 2 channel amp or not, bass is mono.

Second: How bad do gs trunks rattle? Is it a must to get dynomatt and if so does it stop all of the vibrations.
dynamat is used commonly to eliminate rattles, but it is not it's main purpose. seperate and brace the pieces that are rattling then decide whether you need dynamat for it's intended purpose. (which is resonance dampening)

Third: What kind of component speakers would you recomend and about how big of an amp do you think i will need to run these?
mids are chosen on personal preference. Some like a more "tweety" sound, some like a more bass induced vocal sound, some like a flat sound with a perfect radiation pattern for audiophile competition. Mids are a personal preference on the level you are entering at. find something you like.

you may choose a nice set of 4 inch and some soft dome tweets on a 100 watts and it be all you want, whereas i might mount waveguide compression drivers under my dash and 8 inch midbass in the floor and drive 1000+ watts. ( ) so, personal preference on that. my top 4 picks are waveguide, Image dynamics, mb quart, and Oz audio.

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/webs...cts/index.html

http://www.usdaudio.com/usd/wg.html

http://www.mbquart.com/main_mobile.asp

http://www.ozaudio.com/oz/index.shtml

Last edited by O. L. T.; 03-21-03 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-22-03, 07:18 AM
babyboy
Rookie

Thanks alot for your help.
Old 03-22-03, 01:03 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For amps many use JBL. They are very cheap and put out good power for the price. I would not go with Dynomat since it is too expensive. There are many oter things out there that would do the same deadening job and cost a lot cheaper. Speakers is the most important component in your system but since it is your ears and I don't know what sound you like. Go to an audio store and listen to some yourself.
Old 03-23-03, 12:50 PM
babyboy
Rookie

I am going for sound quality and i only listen to rap and r&b, with that being said what brands would you recomend? The dealer i am working with is really pushing boston accustics or JL however i have heard a lot of good things about infinty. which way would you go or is there another comapny i should pursue?

Last edited by babyboy; 03-23-03 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-23-03, 03:29 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For subs, JL is good. Much better then Bostons or Infinity. If you really want a good cheap quality amp, I would recommend Clarion APX1000.2 That thing is egineered by Robert Zeff (Zapco, ARC Audio) and you can have it for $250 off e-bay.
Old 03-23-03, 03:30 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by babyboy
I am going for sound quality and i only listen to rap and r&b, with that being said what brands would you recomend? The dealer i am working with is really pushing boston accustics or JL however i have heard a lot of good things about infinty. which way would you go or is there another comapny i should pursue?
Overall, I would go with JL (from your choices). The Infinity subwoofers have pretty decent SQ (for the price), but tend to have more failure rates.