Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

A Solution To Our Headunit Problem!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-03, 07:16 AM
Millatyme
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking A Solution To Our Headunit Problem!!!!!

Hey guys, my head unit died about three weeks ago and I havent attempted to buy an aftermarket one till yesterday. So I found the headunit that I want and called Crutchfield to see if they offered a harness and/or a pocket. After a very short conversation they told me they didnt have anything at all. So I decided to go to the local Circuit City and Best Buy. First stop, Circuit City didnt have anything, then when I went to Best Buy and the guy was about to sell me this toyota wire harness that would have done the job with minor modding but called his techinican in the stereo bay and he said that a company HAS fabriceted a harness and a pocket!!! At this point I was somewhat sceptical but then when i ordered the parts from the technician he told me that the reason why the other suppliers say they dont have one is because it reaquires special shipment and such to get the pocket to the store. So now I only have to wait a week and I should have my headunit installed with NO modding or custom fabricating needed!

Hope this helps those who, in the future want to drop in an aftermarket headunit!!

Millatyme
Old 03-23-03, 09:05 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well crap... and I have this *****ty looking one that the installers tried to make themselves! take pics when its done! I would love to see how much better it looks than mine, lol.
Old 03-23-03, 10:49 AM
jdsmith46
Driver

Default radio

Where do we call to order such part?? or where do we go
Old 03-23-03, 11:30 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

How much is the total for the installation? I too have my pretty headunit waiting for a good shop to put her in.
Old 03-23-03, 01:51 PM
Millatyme
Lead Lap

The company is a supplier of Best Buy. It cost me a total of ~$38 for the pocket and harness. As for the installation its free due to Best Buy's special that they have, but at most audio shops it should run between 35-60 for installation of our amplified system. Hope this answers all your questions.
Old 03-23-03, 06:28 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm interesting. i went to my local best buy and the guy said he had no kit for our car. guess i will have to goto a diff best buy and ask the head car audio guy. i wonder if i can just find this kit online somewhere.
Old 03-24-03, 09:30 AM
NYCLS400
Driver School Candidate

Funny i work for best buy and have been on the install bays' a$$ for the longest trying to get a head unit installed in my car, a 99 LS to no avail, Autotoys.com stocks a dask kit for 95-97 LS's, but thats all i could find im about ready to order that to see if it will work, or can be modified for my application, as for a wiring harness i'm still searching. What type of car do you have LS, or SC, and when you get your parts can you e-mail me with the part numbers so i can get back to my co-workerfs and get them off of there lazy a$$e$. But i will say they did a great job flush mounting my amp and capacitor to the side of my trunk looks very factory and clean, can put up picks if anyone is interested
Old 03-24-03, 09:35 AM
caladuke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to BestBuy just yesterday and they said they would install a head unit for the $48/hour and the $40 parts but that I needed to get a "Lexus Kit"

I asked the kid what was in this "kit" and he couldn't tell me...
Old 03-24-03, 11:07 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "kit" is what this thread is all about. The headunit you want to purchase is no doubt smaller than your factory headunit. What is going to fill that extra space? And you need an adaptor to wire it up unless you know enough about LEXUS stereos to splice the wires and connect them yourself (which can be done).