Sponsored by:

Hearing Loss and Audio Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 08:54 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts
Default Hearing Loss and Audio Upgrades

It's a fact, as we age our hearing degrades. Add in damage from loud noises and it can happen at an even younger age. Generally, it's the high frequencies that are the first to go. What that means is you can still hear them if you are able to "turn up the volume" to your tweeters without increasing the volume of midrange or bass. That's where a quality equalizer will make a big difference. Having good tweeters is also important. This make seem obvious, but if you're not happy with your car audio, first adjust the treble level all the way up. Or if you have an equalizer, a general guide is to start boosting at around 12 khz adding more boost for each step above 12 khz, giving the most to the 18-20 khz level. You may find that your stock system sounds much better and thoughts of new speakers and amps simply fade away. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of the pleasure of upgrading your system. Just try this simple adjustment first. Then, if you decide to upgrade, keep in mind the higher frequencies as they relate to your age and potential hearing loss. There are some websites available to help quantify your hearing abilities as they relate to frequencies. A good set of headphones is essential for best results. In this age of big bass, it's easy to overlook the tiny tweeter's importance. Just my two cents based on research and MHO.
Old 05-25-15, 06:40 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the amount of bass that I have "endured" over the years (self-inflected, I admit), it is a wonder I can hear at all. I do still have a keen ear though and use Hertz Mille tweets, so I'm good. Lol.
Old 05-26-15, 03:29 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Have you taken an online hearing test lately. You may have hearing loss and not even know it. It's a gradual thing you don't notice.