Sponsored by:

Who is Mark Levinson?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 12:20 PM
lb535
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is Mark Levinson?

Never heard of the man or the brand name.

And what does Mr. Levinson have against height-adjustable air suspension or adaptive HID headlamps?
Old 03-27-03, 12:41 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus.

Mark Levinson: http://www.marklevinson.com/index3.htm

It's my understanding that some of the RX 330 packages are set up
the way they are due to the lack of room for all the components. I
gather that Lexus cannot cram all the available options in the same
place at the same time.
Old 03-27-03, 01:24 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Mr Levinson

Please see one of my previous posts about Mark Levinson.

In short, ML is the closest to God in audio.

In another words:

Sony CD Player: $ 200
Harman Kardon CD Player: $500
ML CD Player $20,000

Their sound processors and amplifiers also run in the low $10ks.
Old 03-27-03, 01:30 PM
lb535
Driver School Candidate

I have to assume then that ML lowered their standards considerably for their automotive audio systems. After all, two Levinson home CD players cost as much as an RX 330 with the ML sound system. The ML stereo isn't a separately available option in the RX 330 but even with the other goodies it only adds a few thousand to the price.
Old 03-27-03, 02:19 PM
DanielG
Driver School Candidate

married to and being divorced by actress Kim Catrell
Old 03-27-03, 03:33 PM
aprairie
Driver School Candidate

actually, mark levinson (the man) sold mark levinson (the company) and now has no rights to the name. Levinson runs Red Rose Music. Strange world we live in...

Drew
Old 03-27-03, 04:16 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The head honcho at Mark Levinson (Sandy) kept the Mark Levinson company name to pull in the sales. Actually, Mark (the person) didn't have any real choice. Quite a bit of fighting but in the end, with a lot of bitterness, Mark (the person) lost. Good old corporate backstabbing...and all of his "friends" turned out to be buddies looking out for their own interests. There's an article in Stereophile about this.

In the world of solid state amps, I would rate one as the "god". McIntosh. They've done it since 1949 and they have still yet to be beaten by ML. Don't forget it's not all about cost either. I've taken a look inside the ML amps and processors...what they put inside for an input buffer opamp would insult the living heck out of anyone knowledgable. It's the same one used in 500 dollar cd players. Not, imo, a smart choice.

Now for some REAL amps. Home stuff.

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?283

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?429

Percy
Old 03-27-03, 11:21 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, you can blow $100K easily on a Class A stereo system, with ML and many other brands most people have never heard of - the more obscure, the better - - and a couple grand at least for the speaker wires - -

and it's true that McIntosh has always been the one to beat, and few do. I have a friend who has a 40-year-old McIntosh chrome-chassis Model 275 tube power amp, with matched Russian output tubes, that thing is so clean and quiet it's phenomenal. I have a standing offer in place if he ever wants to part with it, meanwhile I will make do with the modded Hafler 220 - -
Old 03-27-03, 11:31 PM
lb535
Driver School Candidate

Wow... it's been awhile since I followed the home audio market and I didn't realize McIntosh was making tube amps again. For years, McIntosh engineers and execs insisted that their newer solid-state stuff was superior. I guess they watched bewilderedly as prices for old used Mac tube amps went through the roof, and eventually decided they wanted a piece of the action themselves.

Didn't some car manufacturer offer a McIntosh head unit as an option recently? I suppose with the competition in luxury-grade factory car stereos escalating, it's only a matter of time before someone offers a tube amp as an option.
Old 03-28-03, 07:41 AM
Lexusfanatic
Rookie

For those who don't know... in all Lexus models with ML as option the speakers are not produced by ML. They are made by Revel. (I don't think ML makes any kinds of speakers). Hence, the lower price for that option, althouth Revel also makes excelent audio products.
Old 03-28-03, 08:06 AM
Percy

Originally posted by lb535
Wow... it's been awhile since I followed the home audio market and I didn't realize McIntosh was making tube amps again. For years, McIntosh engineers and execs insisted that their newer solid-state stuff was superior. I guess they watched bewilderedly as prices for old used Mac tube amps went through the roof, and eventually decided they wanted a piece of the action themselves.

***They're built like tanks, only a lot more elegant! Even the "dead" Mc amps can be brought back to life, and within it's original spec. Not bad for a nearly 50 year old amp. ***

Didn't some car manufacturer offer a McIntosh head unit as an option recently? I suppose with the competition in luxury-grade factory car stereos escalating, it's only a matter of time before someone offers a tube amp as an option.
***Subaru offered this. But with the Mc speakers and a fairly weak amp, the system didn't sound as clean as the stuff they offered for the aftermarket.***

Percy
Old 03-28-03, 08:10 AM
Percy

Originally posted by Lexusfanatic
For those who don't know... in all Lexus models with ML as option the speakers are not produced by ML. They are made by Revel. (I don't think ML makes any kinds of speakers). Hence, the lower price for that option, althouth Revel also makes excelent audio products.
That they do! It's nice of Harman Interational to have all of it's companies in it's "power". JBL, Infinity, Harman Kardon, Mark Levinson, Madrigal and Revel. All owned by Harman International.

Percy
Old 03-28-03, 03:02 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Get Ready for 'Kim Cattrall Audio'

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! He's divorcing Kim Cattrall??? Not that I'm a big Kim Cattrall fan or anything, but they just wrote a book on sex (I haven't read it, either.) One would think they'd be good to go. Does nothing last these days? Anybody have Kim's number???

Think she'll date a mannequin? HAHAHAHA.

Last edited by engin_ear; 03-31-03 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-28-03, 03:04 PM
DanielG
Driver School Candidate

LOL -- the other way around -- she's dumping him -- I guess she want to make music elsewhere!
Old 03-28-03, 10:00 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lb535, that McIntosh tube amp I'm lusting after is about a 1964 model...

Quick Reply: Who is Mark Levinson?