Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Finally Installed Dynaudio and JL 10" IB4.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-03, 02:25 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Finally Installed Dynaudio and JL 10" IB4.

Hey guys after months of reading how good Dynaudio was on this board, I finally got all my components and installed them about a week ago.

HeadUnit: Alpine IVA-C800
Front: Dynaudio 240 MKII
Rear: Dynaudio MD160 GT
Sub: JL Audio 10" IB4
SoundProofing: Deflex Pads

Amplifiers: Two JL Audio 300/2 to power my Dyn's.
One Kicker KX400.1 to power the IB4.

Plus two Voodoo Capacitors (don't need them but I got them for dirt cheap from a hookup, so hey why not?)

The immediate impression that I got from these speakers is they are VERY detailed. You can hear everything from the highs to the bottom lows. I am very pleased at they way they sound, but to my "bass" friends it was lacking midbass power which I personally feel is good enough. The only thing that I wish was a little better was the IB4, it does provide much better improvement over the stock sub BUT I think they are "lagging" behind with the Dyn's. I took this setup to a friend of mine who owns a high-end stereo installation shop, he also thinks that the IB4 is a great sub but believes its not in the level to really "compliment" the dyn's. Now my question to you guys who have either the Dyn's or IB4 OR both, what is your opinion on this setup? I am seriously considering taking out the IB4 and putting in the Dynaudio MD190 as free-air, although doing some research, I've read reviews that the MD190 just doesn't cut it in a free-air environment. All my amps are installed in the trunk with my 2 JL's against the back seat and my Kicker laying right underneath the JL sub.

Everything turned out perfectly but I want just a tad bit more on the low low end. I haven't found any info on here about MD 190 in a free-air environment, but on the website they say it can be used as free-air. Is anyone on here using the MD190 as free-air?

Thanks for any comments/advice you can give me.

Last edited by D-MAN63; 03-30-03 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-31-03, 02:17 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Percy, this issue of "bass lag" is kind of interesting. Is it real? What affects it? I know almost no one has played with the dyn subs yet (OK, mine is still on the shelf but he weather is getting warmer) but they are supposed to be OK for free air and I wonder if they might have quicker response than other subs or is this a reason to look at a box?
Old 03-31-03, 03:05 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Diesel, are you referring to an actual time lag that you're experiencing with the IB4, or just a 'lag' in quality?

Anywho, why not resign yourself to build a box under the rear deck - then you can use a variety of other great woofers, and have the speaker volume be consistent. (Though you can get reasonable results, I'm not a free-air fan myself - can you tell?) You'll need those capacitors if you decide to swap out the woofer for something else.
Old 03-31-03, 04:16 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by engin_ear
Diesel, are you referring to an actual time lag that you're experiencing with the IB4, or just a 'lag' in quality?

Anywho, why not resign yourself to build a box under the rear deck - then you can use a variety of other great woofers, and have the speaker volume be consistent. (Though you can get reasonable results, I'm not a free-air fan myself - can you tell?) You'll need those capacitors if you decide to swap out the woofer for something else.
Sometimes when I play music with alot of fast bass, the dyn's midbass is nice and quick, but the JL seems like its dragging behind. That is the best explanation that I can put it in. Don't get me wrong, the JL IB4 is a BIG improvement over the stock sub but I was thinking I should go with the MD 190 in a free-air environment to really compliment the rest of my speakers. Its like spending $6000 for quality rims but instead of getting the top of the line tires like toyos or S03's, you get Kuhmos or Falken which is still good tires but not in the level of the former. The only reason I went with free-air is I want to conserve as much trunk space as possible. So my original idea was to put the 12" dyn's in the stock hole and see how much better improvement there is, but it seems like no one on here is using the MD190 as free-air. The MD190 is rated at 200 watts continous while the JL is 100 watts continous, it must then hit harder but I read reviews that it didn't sound too good in a free-air environment.
Old 04-02-03, 04:40 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Well just want to update my situation. The "lag" is almost gone for some apparent reason. I went back to my installer and just so happen there were two customers there with Dyn's too. They said that Dynaudio speakers need sufficient "break-in" time. Around 100 hours of playing before you hear the full potential. When I first played my speakers I was impressed, but the more hours I play, the better the sound gets. The midbass seems to be hitting MUCH more and the clarity is improving as well. I read many reviews on the internet about these speakers needing at least 100+ hours of playing before it settles in. I am not sure if this is true or not but from what my ears tell me, it IS getting better as I play it more. Even my friends notice a big improvement in midbass. Though, I've never read on here about this topic or did I just miss it? I have around 25 hours of playing time so far... Maybe the JL sub needs the same thing. Heck, I am not a big audio expert, I am just assuming..

Last edited by D-MAN63; 04-02-03 at 04:43 PM.