Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Speaker level inputs vs line level inputs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-03 | 09:10 PM
Limca3
Driver School Candidate

Default Speaker level inputs vs line level inputs?

Im confused wether to use speaker level inputs or line level inputs (after using a line level converter). Would i necessairly get better sound quality after using the line level converter, or would i necessairly get distortion if i use teh speaker level inputs? My amp the JBL BP600.1 takes both low level and high level inputs, also it says:

When using the speaker-level
inputs, it is not necessary to connect a
wire between the “remote” terminal of
the amplifier and the “remote” lead from
the source unit. The speaker-level inputs
will sense voltage on the speaker
outputs and turn the amplifier on
automatically.
Thus by using the highlevel i would elminate the need for running a remote wire? hmm sounds tempting...any reason why not to use the high level inputs?
Old 03-30-03 | 09:40 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

You're amplifying an unclean signal (already amplified) no matter what you do.

If you get an LLC, then you have the luxury of at least trying to tune down the distortion, whereas with the amp, you're stuck with the engineering of that amp (which is not necessarily bad).

For your application, just use the high level inputs on your amp. Save yourself quite a bit of money, and hassle.

Tim
Old 03-30-03 | 09:51 PM
Limca3
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, mabey i will try that, but does anyone know a good LLC? Ive heard about the Audiolink powerlink II, but are there any other pn the market?
Old 03-31-03 | 02:52 PM
Limca3
Driver School Candidate

I hear the ones sold by http://www.davidnavone.com are really good, I just hate the casing on those though. Hmm, looks like for now ill try the high level inputs since i wont need to run a remote then ...I duno, this is my first install so ill have to see how it goes and if im satisfiyed. I contacted JBL, they say their high level inputs are probably better then any LOC out there...essentialy the highlevel inputs are put thru the amps on llc i guess? So how bad could jbl quality be?...oh well, well see, if this works good, then then this JBL Powervalve series amp is a great oem sub replacemnt amp since u dont need a remote...