Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Navigation Options for GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 07:28 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
For the extra 5- 10K it's going to cost, why wouldn't you just buy a GS with factory navigation OR put an aftermarket Navigation system in the car? IMO, doesn't make sense to retrofit unless you're a guru like BananaGS and can do it all yourself (and want to).
An aftermarket NAV for the GS? Where can I get one? I would love to put in a NAV in my 99 GS! Did a search here, and someone recommended the Kenwood DVD Nav system as being one of the better ones. Anyone here done this mod?

Last edited by Hameed; 03-31-03 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-31-03, 07:47 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default go with pioneer

its easier to use, voice command is nice and its got a killer remote You won't be disapointed!
Old 03-31-03, 07:59 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Default Re: go with pioneer

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
its easier to use, voice command is nice and its got a killer remote You won't be disapointed!
Are you referring to the Kenwood system? If not, which model of which manufacturer are you referring to?
Old 03-31-03, 08:23 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Talking sorry

if i didn't know what i was thinking i would confuse myself alot. lol i was refering to the sys900 pioneer unit. I had it installed in my car last week, don't have it back yet, but went down to check out the process and see what was taking so long actually. Its a neat setup and i got to play with it for a little while. I looked at all other aftermarket nav's and this one is the best. Most updated (so far) Easy to use, voice command, phone number accessible also. Stereo mutes when turn is coming up. Very nice and if someone who shops around alot...could be found at a competitive price...but if your not into that...just go buy the first one ya see. imo kenwood is too complicated, and alpine isn't as accurate imo. One thing that is very neat about the pioneer setup is it takes a computer card, can't think of the name right off...but you can put pics on it and that would be something impressive if you were to show the car, have pics of car being worked on or just many different still shots of the car and what it looks like, have it running through a monitor or monitors. I hope to post pics when she is done
Old 03-31-03, 08:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

How much is this setting you back - unit and install cost?
Old 03-31-03, 08:37 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up i got the unit for a steal

i paid 2200 bucks for the nav plus the pioneer 6400(part number) 6.5 inch monitor w/cd player. They cut me a deal due to the other custom work being done. I just am excited about not having to walk to freakin campus and work...i guarentee i put over 50 miles on my and 1 sneakers this past week and a day...jeezz you would figure i could find people to take me but i don't like asking for rides...and the bus takes to long to get to campus...i can walk it by the time i get off of the bus...lol..n e way
Old 03-31-03, 08:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I found this link regarding the system http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cellpoint/pionnavdvdmo.html
however it says there it already includes a monitor.

The monitor you are referrring to (pioneer 6400(part number) 6.5 inch monitor w/cd player) -is that an upgrade to the standard monitor already included?
Old 03-31-03, 08:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Guys, I split your thread off since it became a bit off-topic from the original post, moving it to the Electronics forum.

Fireball - is the Pioneer a touch screen? One of the reasons I liked the Kenwood is the fact that it was a touchscreen. Also -is the Pioneer a DVD player? Second reason I liked the Kenwood. If it'll do both of these, I need to investigate it more!

I haven't had good luck with the voice commands in cars. Guess my southern accent is too much for it to figure out .
Old 03-31-03, 09:05 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up southern..oh yeah!

i feel ya on the southern accent. But the pioneer isn't a touch screen. I have examined these headunits well and i just dont like the fact i have to run my fingers across the screen alot, and have to tap on it 2 times when it doesn't pick up. The kenwood is alot more money also imo. The pioneer sys900 plays dvd, vcd's and cd's. The 6400 monitor i have is used as my main headunit. I will mainly use it as a nav system only because if i am watching a dvd i can use the ps2. The 6400 comes with a cd slot so you don't need to get a pesky changer. I set up a few places on my nav while i was at the stereo shop. It took me like 15 seconds. Its super quick and easy. the remote folds open into a mini cell phone so you can imput numbers. i put my moms number into the computer..and it routed the quickest way to her house, and then the shortest. If you have a place picked out, and you eject your nav cd, it will remember the last place you were looking for, so if someone if playing my ps2, and someone else wanted to watch a dvd in the back on the other monitor, i can do that as well. It has several av outputs also. I think i am running 9 sets of rca's. feel free to ask some more questions, i would love to help ya if i can.
Old 03-31-03, 10:51 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
An aftermarket NAV for the GS? Where can I get one? I would love to put in a NAV in my 99 GS! Did a search here, and someone recommended the Kenwood DVD Nav system as being one of the better ones. Anyone here done this mod?
If you can, try waiting a few months. I contacted Kenwood and Pioneer, and they both said their new Nav systems would be out sometime during the summer. Good news is that the new models for this year will be much cheaper. One other cool thing is that Pionner will be adding touchscreen capability to their Nav systems this year. Below is their press release. As far as Nav systems go, I like the Kenwood, b/c it is a Denso system and functions almost the same as the Lexus OEM system. But like others have said, it's much more expensive than the Pioneer. Hopefully the new prices will close the gap.

"Las Vegas, NV January 08, 2003
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc., the established leader in mobile entertainment products, today introduced the AVIC-80DVD, its newest DVD-based navigation system that features touch interactivity for instantaneous directions to any destination in the United States and Canada. By combining touch screen capability with easy-to-use features such as voice control, extremely fast processing, 10-million phone number searches and two million points of interest, Pioneer created trustworthy navigation companion for any driver. "
Old 03-31-03, 11:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Thanks for the heads up on that! I will probably wait another year anyway before I do a NAV mod to my car. Have to get some cool rims first!
Old 04-01-03, 09:27 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up well me and the guy spoke about this

the gentleman i was dealing with, we talked about the new items coming out. the main pioneer head unit isn't changing(6400) but they are adding touch screen to a new model. He said it was around 2800 bucks w/o nav. I just dont like the touch screens, taking your eyes off the road. touching the corners of the players to bring up menu's. Just too much maybe...i hope to be getting my car back today (finally), i will take pics and let you know my entire system, and my thoughts on it. thanks and wish me luck...
Old 12-15-03, 01:47 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Default Re: well me and the guy spoke about this

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
the gentleman i was dealing with, we talked about the new items coming out. the main pioneer head unit isn't changing(6400) but they are adding touch screen to a new model. He said it was around 2800 bucks w/o nav. I just dont like the touch screens, taking your eyes off the road. touching the corners of the players to bring up menu's. Just too much maybe...i hope to be getting my car back today (finally), i will take pics and let you know my entire system, and my thoughts on it. thanks and wish me luck...
Can you please post up some pics of your nav and your impressions of it so far? Thanks!