Sponsored by:

ODB2 Adapter comparison

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 01:31 PM
panchod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODB2 Adapter comparison

The two main adapters I hear mentioned on the forums are Carista, which seems to have a strong presence here:

And the ScanGauge II:

I am specifically interested in one that can modify options (ie. reverse and seatbelt beeps), but also one that can run diagnostics. If an iPhone or tablet is required, iOS compatible is better, though I could jailbreak/dual boot my iPhone if needed.

It seems that the Carista has more features with its Android/iOS (iPhone) interface, but it also seems intuitive that with more direct wiring, Scangauge would be less prone to interfacing issues.

I have also heard mention of the ELM327 and BAFX, but not as often.

Does anyone have experience with these or other ODBII adapters? I have a hybrid 200H.
Old 07-21-15, 12:39 PM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Carista app for iPhone. You will need an iPhone or iPad (or Android device). I'm not sure what you meant by more direct wiring....but it just uses a plug-n-play ELM327 adapter (like the one in your picture) that you can buy off of Amazon. Just make sure you get the wireless version if using an iDevice as Apple has the bluetooth locked down, so the bluetooth adapter will not work with an iPhone. Per the Carista website...all CT 200s are able to be customized (as well as diagnostics), so it should do exactly what you are asking for. I copied and pasted some of the customizations from their website below:

Instruments / Display / Dings:

Reverse-gear beep
BEEP ONCE / KEEP BEEPING WHILE IN REVERSE

Seat belt warning ding (driver)
ENABLED / DISABLED

Seat belt warning ding (front passenger)
ENABLED / DISABLED

Remote low battery warning
ON / OFF