Sponsored by:

Running a 12v 4 Gauge Power wire from Batt to Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-03, 06:38 PM
Limca3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running a 12v 4 Gauge Power wire from Batt to Trunk

I have a 1992 ls400 and i need some tips on running a 12v 4 Gauge Power wire from Batt to Trunk for my new amplifier. I snooped around the hood (something i am fairly new to) but i am a DIY kinda person. I see that there are a few places where wires are going thru the firewall towords the interior of the car, which is the one i want to use? The biggest one is on the left side of the battery if you are facing the front of the car. Anyone know if i fish a wire through this hole where exactly it leads to? since its on the passenger's side i guess it would come near the passangers side, so i suppose i need to open the area under the glove comp? Can someone confirm this or show any pictures? I really dont wanna mess anything up (First timer here) Thanks for reading, hopefully you can help me out.

-Darshan Bavaria
Old 04-02-03, 09:57 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

best advice i can give, (since i dont have an LS) is you just gotta poke around. try pushing a thin metal wire like a coat hanger in on one side of the rubber grommet. then just look for it on the other side.
also whatever side of the car, u run the power cable on, make sure u run the audio cables on the other side. good luck
Old 04-02-03, 10:10 PM
Limca3
Driver School Candidate

Thanx for the advice.

hey DJ SprinklesNJO ur sig sounds like u have a sick *** ride, can you post some pics?
Old 04-03-03, 09:03 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

here are some pics of my truck. i took a little different approach to the rear hatch area. (i did this bc my truck is leased so nothing can be permanently mounted)

this pics shows the subs and box i made. all the neons flash to the beat of the music.

all the equipment in the top of the box are also highlighted with neons. (camera flash was on so you dont see it too good)

THERE ARE MANY MORE THINGS IN THE TRUCK, BUT THOSE ARE SOME BASIC PICTURES. IF YOU WANT CHECK OUT ALL THE PICS OF MY TRUCK ON SOUNDDOMAIN.COM
Old 04-04-03, 09:58 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's one tight ride DJ, nice work

I already PMd Limca3 about this but thought others may want to see a LS power option. I was lucky when trying to find a place to run power because the guy who installed my alarm drilled a hole through the firewall. The hole was big enough for me to run my 8ga. through, although I don't have a grommet there I'm not concerned about that. The hole was drilled from the inside to the engine and is slightly angled upward. I poked a long screwdriver through the hole and then duct taped the wire to the end of it and pulled it through into the cabin, easy.

For those who don't want to drill through the firewall on their LS there is another option. You can run power underneath the firewall and go through a grommet located under the front drivers seat. Look under the car by the drivers seat and you'll see it.

Here's the overview:
Attached Thumbnails Running a 12v 4 Gauge Power wire from Batt to Trunk-power002sm.jpg  
Old 04-04-03, 09:59 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah my engine is dirty still. Here's where the wire will come out:
Attached Thumbnails Running a 12v 4 Gauge Power wire from Batt to Trunk-power005sm.jpg  
Old 04-04-03, 10:51 AM
Tom_ES300
Rookie

Pop off the plastic cover on the inside of the door sills. There's a great wire race down there that will get you all the way from the dash to the side of the back seat. Pull the seat cushion back and you'll find a way into the trunk.

Tom
Old 04-04-03, 11:56 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

The proper way to do it is to use a unibit and go directly beside the brake master cylinder. measure about 2 inches to the right and drill there, nothing is behind it in the firewall. here's is what the finished product looks like. notice there is no excessive wire or routing problems.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-31-03 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-04-03, 03:08 PM
Limca3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help but i started before i saw it I ended up snooping around the engine and i found on the passanger side of the car there is a bundle of wires that goes into the passenger dash where theres the car computer or whatever. I opened the dash area up and fished a blunted coat hanger thru and then taped the 4 gauge wire on it, went through very easy, the hard part was just taking appart the glove comp area. If i had a digi cam i would take pics
Old 09-08-04, 06:51 PM
kazooLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Limca3
Thanks for the help but i started before i saw it I ended up snooping around the engine and i found on the passanger side of the car there is a bundle of wires that goes into the passenger dash where theres the car computer or whatever. I opened the dash area up and fished a blunted coat hanger thru and then taped the 4 gauge wire on it, went through very easy, the hard part was just taking appart the glove comp area. If i had a digi cam i would take pics
I took your advice and it worked well. Thanks limca3
Attached Thumbnails Running a 12v 4 Gauge Power wire from Batt to Trunk-p9020006.jpg  
Old 09-08-04, 06:52 PM
kazooLS400
Driver School Candidate

and a pic from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails Running a 12v 4 Gauge Power wire from Batt to Trunk-p9020008.jpg  
Old 09-12-04, 09:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

OK, run high current power wires beside all the others if you want to.
Old 09-14-04, 03:26 PM
mastermind
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Earl!
Yeah my engine is dirty still. Here's where the wire will come out:
were is that? is that under the steering wheel? i have no idea where the firewall is and i've been trying to run wires myself also for amp.

O.L.T, any pics of that hole you made near the master cylnder?

Limca3, i've been trying to do the samething. how hard was it to dismantle your glove box? and where and how did you run your wires through after you got it through that hole?

are you running a stock setup? i'm only running wires to the back to power an amp for my subwoofer, does the stock deck have the correct outputs for the amp?

Last edited by mastermind; 09-14-04 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 07:09 AM
kazooLS400
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally posted by O. L. T.
OK, run high current power wires beside all the others if you want to.
Hey O.L.T
Could you please elaborate I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that I'm gonna have electrical issues because I ran high power wire next to all the other wires going through the same hole in the firewall? I haven't noticed any issues yet but I sure don't want to start any new ones.
Old 10-08-04, 07:52 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mastermind
were is that? is that under the steering wheel? i have no idea where the firewall is and i've been trying to run wires myself also for amp.
In that pic the wires come out right above the gas pedal and to the right of the steering column.