Head unit??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 11:26 PM
fast400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head unit??

I've been thru a lot of pain in my stereo upgrade. So far I added:

I kept the stock head unit due to the NAV system...
Diamond Audio D600S in the front and Diamond coax in the back
JL Audio 10W7 w/ JL 500/1 amp
And an EQ.

It sounds better - but I expected more... I finally found a "trusted" installer and they are saying that replacing the head unit would get me to where I want to be. The stock head unit starts to clip at about 12 oclock - is this true? I hear the distortion. If I adjust the gains up on the amp I do get more SPL (I'm going for SQ but it plays too low to hear complex music) with no distortion. Or do I need to adjust my Hi/Low converter up?

If I replace the head unit can I use the existing changer? Is their any way to get the "voice" from the nav with a new head unit? If so what make and model is the simple replacement.
Old 04-03-03, 11:33 PM
fast400
Rookie

Default One other thing

When I move the gains past 1/2 way I get consistant noise thru the speakers.

Anyway to solve this w/ a filter of some kind?
Old 04-03-03, 11:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

the stock H/U just isnt putting out enough voltage. replacing the unit with an aftermarket H/U will bump the voltage .... thats why they suggested it. you really don't need to though. just get a high quality line driver. everyone has their opinion, but i personally prefer the audio control line drivers.

check out the "overdrive" here: http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAu...Overdrive.html

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-03-03 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-04-03, 07:21 AM
fast400
Rookie

The EQ I put in is a AudioControl EQS and it has a built in line driver! Now I get a constant noise at about 10KHz.

Gotta tell you, the old system was so bad it would give me a headache. Now I still have a headache and I'm over $2K in the hole.
Old 04-04-03, 10:33 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Now I get a constant noise at about 10KHz.
what your hearing is oscillations. the line driver helped you get the noise up, but now you are oscillating. the system is unbalanced. this is caused by so many factors it's hard to detemine what, but thats the problem. Usually (most always 90%) it is a ground within the rca line. it could be the lack of ground potential in the output of the radio through the rca's. you can try a simple cheap mod to see by buying a rca convertor that has grounding straps included. also, try a ground loop isolator. both of these will give you more ground potential. this will kep you from oscillating at higher gains. you are basically overdriving the input because you don't have a balanced waveform.
Old 04-05-03, 04:26 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default stock head unit

There is something wrong in your connection or something , I used the pac SNI-35 and no problems put a new Alpine 5 channel amp and mono sub Alpine amp. what type of RCA and power lines are you using and make sure al the connection by the stock amp at from they are not all a bunch of wires just push in there.Aadjust your High converters to the minimun possible less destortion. and play around with your amp.and one ? a got for you is your voice from the navi. still playing with the high end system becareful you don't burn the ECU from the navi. p.s and if you do want to change the head unit they are a couple guys in here that wish the have the navi. system ,maybe u can sell it.
Old 04-05-03, 04:33 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Default thread

Go to Jacko711 thread.
Old 04-05-03, 04:35 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Default wrong name

Jackco711 new speaker with the navi. system.