Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Which AMP is good to power 2 JL W0's 12in

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03 | 05:02 PM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Default Which AMP is good to power 2 JL W0's 12in

Hi can you please tell me which amps would have enough power and not too much to power 2 jl wo's?

Also can you please tell the brand, model, and measurement( i need to know if it will fit in the custom box, width, length, and height)

THANKS, all opinions are welcome
Old 04-09-03 | 01:08 PM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

can someone please tell me some good amp brand names that have enough power to powere 2 jl wo's and not over do it?
Old 04-09-03 | 02:06 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

I would use a JL 300/2 (150WRMS x2) either as 2 sep channels, or in bridged mode, depending on what your line-level inputs look like.
You can parallel the JLW0's if you get the 8-ohm voicecoil versions, yielding a 4 ohm load for the bridged configuration.
See the JL website for more info - there is a chart on amp power, and wiring diags/suggested hookups.
www.jlaudio.com
Old 04-09-03 | 02:08 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

PS: I wouldn't worry tooooo much about too much power - it's much worse to not have enough. You can always adjust (turn down) the amp gain.
Old 04-09-03 | 06:16 PM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Thanks for the info, do you know of any other amps that will provide enough power for 2 jl's, doesn't have to be a jl amp, i just need an idea.
Old 04-09-03 | 08:25 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
PS: I wouldn't worry tooooo much about too much power - it's much worse to not have enough. You can always adjust (turn down) the amp gain.
I agree....I didn't want too much and now I'm redoing my system for more power!!!!
Old 04-10-03 | 06:11 PM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Also, can you guys tell me if you buy a 12 in sub, will the whole you have to make for the sub have to be 12 in also?

Please can someone please name some amps that willl be good for 2 jls because I NEED TO KNOW, thanks,
Old 04-11-03 | 12:42 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

I've always liked keeping JL amps with JL Subs....they are good amps and pretty much made for those subs....I love how they run cool...JL makes very good amps but are a bit on the expensive side. Do some more research on it and see....
Old 04-14-03 | 09:13 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

PPI (Precision Power)
Xtant
Rockford Fosgate

These will provide enough clean power without being overkill (pricewise) for JL W0's.
Check out their websites.
Old 04-14-03 | 12:05 PM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Default Tweeter

I went to the Tweeter to see what they had to offer and I talked to the man working there and asked him which amp would be good to power 2 12in JL W0's 4OHM,
His Answer: The JL amp with 2 channel forget which model

Then I ask: What would be your second choice? (440.00 is a little out of my league for an amp and I know that it really makes a difference but i can always upgrade later when I have that kind of money)
His answer: The JL amp 250/1 (400.00 a little less but no big diff)

Next Question: Next best?
His answer: Well.... There's a big leap because the jl amps are high quality and you would be taking a big leap down with any other amp, I guess I would go with KENWOOD.

Does this sound reasonable, do you guys think Kenwood is second best under JL or some other brand? Because I never thought Kenwood delivered great performance.
Old 04-14-03 | 12:17 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Default And there you go...

Usually you're better off with Alpine than Kenwood.
Now you are walking the line (that we all like to walk) between how much money you have in your pocket versus the performance level desired. If you are not willing to part with the money for JL (which is not the best amp in the world, either), you'll have to continue to make some sort of compromises. If you're talking about Kenwood, you're into the run-of-the-mill amp category. Try checking out crutchfield.com, there's a wealth of information on their website, and many reasonably-priced amps to choose from. Also check out sounddomain.com and other car audio websites for better prices, but watch out for warranty or return policy issues.
Old 04-14-03 | 10:56 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Tweeter

Originally posted by BigghookUp
I went to the Tweeter to see what they had to offer and I talked to the man working there and asked him which amp would be good to power 2 12in JL W0's 4OHM,
His Answer: The JL amp with 2 channel forget which model

Then I ask: What would be your second choice? (440.00 is a little out of my league for an amp and I know that it really makes a difference but i can always upgrade later when I have that kind of money)
His answer: The JL amp 250/1 (400.00 a little less but no big diff)
Try www.woofersect.com
I got my JL 300/4 for $380 and 500/1 for $400.
I'm sure 250/1 is less than $300.

Great service and they ship same day.
Old 04-15-03 | 03:14 AM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

wow those are cheap prices, i thought this site was the cheapest I found (OuterlimitsAudio )(but you beat me. you ever buy from them?

Also, IF i were to get a sony amp maybe the best one because i can get a major hook up like less than half price on brand new sony products, would it be worth it?
Old 04-15-03 | 04:30 AM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BigghookUp
wow those are cheap prices, i thought this site was the cheapest I found (OuterlimitsAudio )(but you beat me. you ever buy from them?

Also, IF i were to get a sony amp maybe the best one because i can get a major hook up like less than half price on brand new sony products, would it be worth it?
Yes, I've purchase quiet bit from woofersect.com.

I'd stick with JLs.
Old 04-15-03 | 08:26 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

A Sony amp may be OK for JL 12W0's and your budget. However, they are not highly regarded here in these threads. I suggest you hear one in a store such as BestBuy or Circuit City before buying.

Quick Reply: Which AMP is good to power 2 JL W0's 12in