Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Was I Expecting To Much From The ML System?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-03, 12:25 AM
woodyaht
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was I Expecting To Much From The ML System?

I ordered my new car with the Mark Levinson system because love good sounding audio system's. I read reviews on the system waiting 2 months for my car to come in and every review I read was "Outstanding", "Awesome", "Rivals The High End Home Audio System". So I was really looking forward to hearing this system. I listen to every kind of music, house, classical, rap, country, etc. When I finally took delivery, the first thing I did was to put in one of my favorite CD's. I was kind of let down. The bass was kind of flat and not real deep. Knowing that this is a free air sub, I kind of expected it a little. The highs are really, really good for a OEM system. But to me the Bass can make or break a system. The last few cars I have owned I added a sub and the stereo came alive. I am really into stereo's and home theater, and I always buy good stuff. What I have heard about ML and his (or his ex-company's) line for home audio, I was impressed just by the price tags and was really looking forward to this awesome system. I am thinking about pulling the ML 10 out and putting a sealed box in with a new sub and amp to give to system some deep bass. Have any of you felt the same way about the ML system or am I being to critical?
Old 04-11-03, 12:27 AM
woodyaht
Driver

One more thing, YES I have turned the "throttle" up and down on the bass setting.
Old 04-11-03, 04:16 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I am one of those people who is completely blown away by the ML system. The highs are crisp and tight and the lows provide plenty of "boom" for me. I guess my test for bass is my wife's "happy place" test: when she plays parts of songs over because she REALLY likes how the seat vibrates, I know I've got enough bass...
Old 04-11-03, 05:12 AM
Tranman

I was also equally impressed with the ML system. For a stock, from the factory, audio system, it's great. Of course there is always room for improvement.....but for a stock system, it's great.
Old 04-11-03, 08:04 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Woody -
Having just extolled the virutes of the BMW 5-series in another thread you started, I should have been fair and mentioned just how bad BMW stereos are.

That said, if you came from a BMW stereo to the ML in the GS, you would think the ML is the best stereo in the whole world.

However, I have an ES300 loaner right now (yep, GS in the shop again) and I have to say, its stock system rivals my ML - doesn't have the imaging of the ML (no center speaker) but it sounds almost as good. So you might have a point.
Old 04-21-03, 10:08 AM
kyee
Driver School Candidate

I also was unimpressed with the ML system. I have a LX470 with the ML option, and the bass is very lacking in this car. My wife has the LS430 without the ML system, and the sound in her car blows away the sound in my ML equipped LX470. Yes, I know the LX is a much bigger space to fill sound-wise, but still, I expected more from the ML upgrade.
Old 04-21-03, 11:02 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it depends what you are comparing the ML to. if you owned a different Lexus previously with the stock system, then the ML might not be quite as good as your expectations. i think a lot of those reviews are comparing other high-end stereos in other car makes, like Bose, Harmon Kardon, etc. i've heard the Bose in Mercedes and the Harmon in Jag and Range Rover, and the ML is FAR, FAR superior. the spacial sound quality is hugely important in a car, and the ML does a fantastic job in all Lexuses. even with BMW's supposed "spacial sound recognition" feature they say they have, it doesn't work well, the rear speakers are too soft and the front is too loud.

i had a '98 GS4 w/ factory stock pioneer before getting my '01 GS4 w/ ML. can't say i noticed too much of a difference, especially with bass - highs were a lot more "defined" in the ML system, but bass was not noticeably different in my opinion. but then again, Lexus stock equipment (pioneer in my '98 GS) is also fantastic, and also blows away competitors like Bose in my opinion.

on a related note, i did just purchase a new '04 RX330 w/ ML after trading an '01 RX300 w/ stock. the difference between those two is HUGE. i think the larger cabin size w/ additional speakers and better speaker placement really make a big difference in the new RX. the ML system in that car is very nice.