Sponsored by:

Power Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-03, 02:15 PM
white93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Power Antenna

Hey gang, new member here, great website!

The power antenna on my SC400 doesn't work. I have the stock nak system. I can tell that the metal mast, (guess that's what its called), is broken. My questions are 1. If I purchased a whole new antenna unit does it have to be a lexus factory part or will one from a toyota or aftermarket antenna work. Don't want to pay the almost $300 dollars lexus wants for one. 2. Is the metal mast replaceable, if so, how? 3. Do I need to remove the base ( on the outside of the car) to do this. Again if so how?

Any Information will be greatly appreciated. Will be one less thing to fix on my list.

Thanks, Lee
Old 04-12-03, 03:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

the antenna system is actually pretty easy to change. most all done from the inside. the top will unscrew around the base of the antenna on the outside, then inside there are a couple of screws that secure it to the body. it simply unplugs and comes out from there. you don't exactly have to use a factory lexus antenna. some after market antenna's have different a plug for the antenna cable itself and you want to make sure that the one you have and the one you are buying are the same. as far as the connections go, the system is simple and if you have a voltmeter and a working knowledge of anything related to 12v you can do the wire conversion in minutes. just a hot feed and a ground. good luck.
Old 04-12-03, 06:23 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums Lee!

The antenna in my car doesn't work either. I barely listen to the radio so it's not high on my list of things to fix, I'm just going to buy an aftermarket one sometime. $300 for an antenna is outrageous, don't buy that! Go aftermarket, and listen to what onelasttry said about installing it.
Old 04-13-03, 05:47 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default antenna

Hey guys Im pretty sure you can only change the antenna if you want it. and it will only cost you about $30.00.I have done it for a lots cars a lots of Toyotas Avalon,Camrys, Nissans altimas and maximas is a little tricky but u guys can do it first take out the old antenna out the base and then turn on radio so the antenna comes out and pull it out its going to look a metal piece with a white plastic piece that looks like teeth.then make sure that you unplug the power antenna at this point so that when you buy the new one u put it in and u plug the power back on it pulls it back into place . p.s make sure u open the bottom of the antenna "base"o you can take out the old and broken pieces.
Old 08-18-03, 07:16 PM
jrwfly111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I fixed my antenna by purchasing a new mast from Irontoad.com. They offer lexus parts at dicounts. It cost about $55, and installs very easily.