Sponsored by:

How to Remove the Sub woofer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 08:59 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Remove the Sub woofer?

How does one remove the subwoofer in the back on a 1992 LS400? I have been trying to access it, and cannot find a way, without actually damaging the plastic and cover that is on currently. All help is appreciated. I did a search, but could not locate the procedure.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ychachad; 04-15-03 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-15-03, 01:30 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two clips on the sub cover itself are located under the front side hold it in place. They clip into the metal rear deck under the back rear trim panel. Use a thin regular screwdriver with some paper over the tip, so you don't damage the plastic, then wedge that between the sub cover and rear deck and push up, it should pop right out. I actually just used my fingers to pull it off though, it's simple! The just undo the sub clip and the four bolts, done.
Earl!
Old 04-15-03, 01:54 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

One note of caution, As spxchrome already knows, the old woofer is extremely fragile. I wouldn't pop the cover off without planning to go ahead and disconnect it and/or remove it. I took mine out yesterday and it literally crumbled in my hands. The good news is you can drive without it, as I am doing now, until I get an enclosure for my new subwoofer. I was unable to modify the existing housing to fit my new subwoofer as the attachment points are part of the frame of the old subwoofer.

GA400
Old 04-15-03, 04:08 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

GA400 - Are you talking about that screen that covers the woofer? If you are you don't need to take that off, just the four bolts and sub wire clip and the sub is out. I was taking about the piece you have to take off before even seeing the sub -- the plastic sub cover with the rear brake light built into it. I agree that the woofer itself is extremely fragile, it sucks, good thing you're replacing yours!
Old 04-15-03, 04:58 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Earl!
GA400 - Are you talking about that screen that covers the woofer? If you are you don't need to take that off, just the four bolts and sub wire clip and the sub is out. I was taking about the piece you have to take off before even seeing the sub -- the plastic sub cover with the rear brake light built into it. I agree that the woofer itself is extremely fragile, it sucks, good thing you're replacing yours!
Earl,

Yes, I am talking about the woofer itself, the paper cone and the foam rubber crumbled in my hands yesterday. No wonder it was rattling so bad. The outer cover with the screen and brake light housing is sound, but the first time I removed mine I didn't put paper or masking tape on my screwdriver and I got a small dent in one edge, not really visible unless you have it off. Can't wait to get the new sub in, I am going to wait until I get a new head unit too and use the same mounting kit and harness that you used from soundfx.

Thanks,

GA400
Old 04-15-03, 07:54 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Nice choice!

Good choice man, you already know what my HU looks like using that kit, VERY solid. It's too bad about your sub disintegrating though, but hey, you're better off without that thing! Sounds like your new system will be a major improvement.
Earl!
Old 04-15-03, 09:34 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the invaluable info. I'll try it out this weekend. I am also going to do the rear differential oil, the engine oil, spark plugs, air filter, PIAA superwhite headlamps (scavenged from my Infiniti G20) , replace 2 tyres, and do a wheel alignment job. That's a lot of work. I ought to be done with the maintenance after that.
Y. Chachad

Originally posted by Earl!
Two clips on the sub cover itself are located under the front side hold it in place. They clip into the metal rear deck under the back rear trim panel. Use a thin regular screwdriver with some paper over the tip, so you don't damage the plastic, then wedge that between the sub cover and rear deck and push up, it should pop right out. I actually just used my fingers to pull it off though, it's simple! The just undo the sub clip and the four bolts, done.
Earl!
Old 04-16-03, 09:22 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

I replaced my rear speaker awhile ago after some good advice on this site. What kills that speaker is the very large amount of heat through the rear window . Does anyone know if a shadow or tint kit could be put on the rear window. My concern is that it may not work right with the defroster wires. Thanks
Old 04-16-03, 11:09 PM
rhayward
Driver

Default this place

is sworming with info. i had just reintalled my sub after tearing my 3,000 dollar custom speaker job. dam my ears feel so much better and i have got the weight off in the rear. i also had some quetion marks on my ace when reinstalling it. but what the guys are saying is all true.

Old 02-03-09, 02:06 PM
broklynlex
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys replacing my sub with a 8" shallow mount any recommendations on rims and a 2 din head unit