Sponsored by:

Proposed System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 03:42 PM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Proposed System Upgrade

Ok I need an honest opinion from you experts out there. I am looking to upgrade the system in my 1998 GS300. I am not really that knowledgeable about what is good car audio equipment and what is not. Of course all the advertisements hype their stuff as competition quality and all this and all that. The first thing I am going to do is upgrade from the stock subwoofer and amp. I got a quote from a local and this is what they proposed to me:

2 12s Memphis Subs in Sealed Box
Alpine Amp V12 1000 Watts
Amp Kit
Converter
Labor

Price $750

Now first of all I had never heard of a Memphis Subwoofer nor have I read of anyone suggesting such an amp in the many many posts I have read on ClubLexus. Which of course makes me wary of it. I am not a super high roller and the system does not have to be competition. But I do want quality equipment and sound without trunk rattle. I would like to keep it under $1000 for now.

Later I plan on adding a indash dvd and some head rest screens. Any suggestions on those?

I am open to any comments and opinions from you guys/gals I really want to get this done right.
Old 04-15-03, 03:55 PM
Limca3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of myne has some memphis subs and amp it sounds pretty nice. You mite wanna checkout an audio forum at sounddomain.com or carsound.com for more opinions. I suppose the amp is around $300, the subs + box $300, wiring $30, converter $25...i guess it works out to be a good deal, but im no expert on car audio.
Old 04-16-03, 07:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

But I do want quality equipment and sound without trunk rattle.
funny, i didnt see dynomat on the list.
Old 04-16-03, 07:46 PM
Limca3
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by onelasttry
funny, i didnt see dynomat on the list.
I say put the system in, then see if you need dynomat. On these really light weight economy cars you might need it a lot more, but on a quality lexus i dont think there would be much rattling.
Old 04-16-03, 08:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

not been around too many of these with systems? rear deck lid rattles, trunk lid rattle, brake light rattle, speaker covers rattle, occasionally the rear bumper rattles against the protective crash insert under the bumper cover..... and the list goes on and on. dynomat isnt intended to stop ratles, but is used for it anyway.

you'll have a few rattles, but whichever order you do it in is up to you. the ladder way just means you have to take the sub box back out and do it all again after sound deadening.
Old 04-16-03, 08:46 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do sound deaden don't use dynomat, it's wayyyyyyyyy to overpriced, there are many other products out there. With two subs you're going to get rattling, I say sound deaden and do it before, this will reduce the amount of rattles.
Earl!
Old 04-16-03, 11:34 PM
Limca3
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by onelasttry
not been around too many of these with systems? rear deck lid rattles, trunk lid rattle, brake light rattle, speaker covers rattle, occasionally the rear bumper rattles against the protective crash insert under the bumper cover..... and the list goes on and on. dynomat isnt intended to stop ratles, but is used for it anyway.

you'll have a few rattles, but whichever order you do it in is up to you. the ladder way just means you have to take the sub box back out and do it all again after sound deadening.
Lucky me, the only thing that rattles on my 92 ls400 is the rear sub cover, which i will get around to fixing soon, other then that the car is solid.
Old 04-17-03, 02:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

very very lucky you. either you have one of the better built models that just doesnt have the squeaks, or your not pushing above 130 a-weighted. either way. that's cool you aren't experiencing the common problems.
Old 03-08-04, 02:30 PM
blklexguy
Driver School Candidate

Yeah those rattles are common, every one named off i have had, does anyone have any ideas about stopping the rattle that you get from the rear deck sub cover, which is my only rattle now, and it verry annoying.