Sponsored by:

12W7 in Rear Deck, Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-03, 01:56 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up will post whole car soon

my mom knows more about the digi camera's and plus i don't have one @ school, i am going home friday to put on my wooden steering wheel and i will take some pics of the stereo, and hopefully take more pics after the wheel is one with my new wheels and my other 2 monitors in with my nice dash piece in....right now have some crappy plastic piece...the fiberglass was givin them fits and the two monitors for the visors would not ever come in so they ordered me something else. its nice, and everything was made over again....they prob have the skematics still....
Old 05-06-03, 06:52 PM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

Hi screwface,

I am using MB seperates up front and coax in back. The reason why I did not go for the 13.5 was because I wanted more trunk space. I dynamated my rear deck to help with vibration. Nothing vibrated except the grill when I am pushing it really hard, but then you can only hear it (barely) if you sit in the rear. As far as DB's I really have no idea. I have not put a meter to it yet. It would interesting to know though.

Chris
Old 05-07-03, 02:11 PM
Hypermagic
Driver

Default Subs

I have read some inputs regarding this subs mounting related issue.
If I just install 1 sub in stock place, would that make a difference compare to two subs firing backward?

Is Boston Pro a good subs? Please I need inputs.

Thanks
Old 05-07-03, 05:43 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It all depends on what subs you go with, how they are mounted, the enclosure(selaed/ported/bandpass). One quality sub could definitely sound better than two junk subs.

Im not sure on the Boston subs, I have the Boston Pro speakers and love them, but subs are a different beast.
Old 05-07-03, 07:16 PM
Hypermagic
Driver

Default Help then

TTurboPimp,

I guess I am in need of input as I will have my system install next week.
I currently own a pair of Boston Pro (10") and I have McIntosh MC302 (2*150 at 4ohm) waiting for them.
The place I am about to have my system installed recommend me

1. Taking out the original sub and
2. Have the two boston pros firing downward and let the hole pass the bass to the cabin.

I am not sure how this will sound.... I can't recall anybody in CL has this setup before.
I just want a deep SQ bass, not heavy solid bass.

If anybody has any input of this setup or better advice, please let me know.

Thanks all
Old 05-07-03, 08:10 PM
sld
Driver

I'm having everything in my signature installed right now. It should be done tomorrow or Friday at the latest. My install guy was gonna play around with the box to get the best combination of SPL and SQ into the cabin, taking into consideration I'm mostly interested in clean, loud SQ. He might have the box firing sideways under the open hole hitting a wall sending the sound up thru the hole. That setup would have a false wall sealing off the portion of the trunk under the rear deck where the box would be. I'll let ya know what he ends up doin and how it sounds.
Old 05-07-03, 09:28 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Hypermagic, I have a single JL 12W6V2 firing towards the rear of the car with around 500 watss going to it. My factory sub is out of the car, the boxwith the sub is mounted on the shelf area right below it, with about 3 inches of space between the top of the box and the rear deck. I love the sound, more bass than I will ever need(I have the adjustment **** for the sub amp), and the result is a clean bass thats not just boomy. I am thinking about switching to a single JL10w7, or maybe a pair just for looks! I think I will like the 10(s) a little better, slightly tighter, slightly more controlled response than the 12.
Old 05-07-03, 10:26 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

I second TTurboPimp's comments. I have a similar setup with the same orientation/amp except with a 10W3v2. It sounds great that way and is plenty loud. If you're looking for more a pair of 10s would be the ticket. I always seem to prefer 10s over 12s for their tight response.
Old 05-07-03, 10:35 PM
Hypermagic
Driver

Default advise

I am going to have my system install next week (After final ... woohoooo)

At this time, they recommend me to take out OEM sub, use 2 pair of Boston Pros (10" ---> good size guys)
firing downward and let the hole pass the bass to the cabin. Anybody has this setup before?

What you guys think?
Old 05-07-03, 10:42 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Stealther, I have always preffered the 10's over the 12's for the exact same reason, I was kinda talked into the 12 if I wasnt going to go with the W7. I should have stuck with my gut instinct, not that the 12 doesnt sound good, I just think I would like the 10 or 10's better.

firing downward and let the hole pass the bass to the cabin. Anybody has this setup before?
Im not sure about firing the subs downward, you mean stright down at the floor, or angled at the floor? Either way, i would think that you might encounter some cancellation issues going that route, I could be wrong though. I would def take out the factory sub regrdless what you do.
Old 05-07-03, 11:18 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Default Re: advise

Originally posted by Hypermagic
I am going to have my system install next week (After final ... woohoooo)

At this time, they recommend me to take out OEM sub, use 2 pair of Boston Pros (10" ---> good size guys)

What you guys think?
Sounds good! Keep us posted on how it works out for you and write us a detailed review! I think there are a lot of setups that will work, which one is for you depends on your goals and how picky you are

I thought about doing a similar setup but I was worried about getting port/cone noise entering the cabin. Not to say that it would happen, but I only had one attempt in my budget and couldn't afford to redo it.

I wish I never entered a car stereo shop and listened to a high end system... Ignorance is bliss...

Last edited by Stealther; 05-07-03 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-08-03, 08:19 AM
Hypermagic
Driver

Default :)

Stealther,
as long as you enjoy yourself in the car, don't regret it. It's better you spend and you enjoy it rather than regreting it.

TTurboPimp,

The firing downward means that both subs are facing downward at an angle. The sound would be reflected by fiberglass on the floor, and got reflected back and pass thru the oem hole to pass the pressure to the cabin.
My concern would be the bass response lagging since the travel distance increase.

I don't think anybody has this setup before. I hav'nt found any thread for this kind of setup yet.
Old 05-08-03, 08:40 AM
sld
Driver

Hypermagic, I'm curious, why do they wanna do it this way? Why those subs? Is that the only subs they carry?
Old 05-08-03, 12:59 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Talking that hit soooo hard

when listening to them at different volums, they sound great. when these puppies are banging i honestly get worried about my back glass. i swear it expands. i really hope the dynomat i will be adding does a great job. The entire rear deck will have to be redone for the box to fit for the w7. they did a killer job and pics will be coming. shew...sorry for not having a pic. bryan
Old 05-08-03, 01:14 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Hyper, I dont know bro, it sounds like alot of extra work just to have those subs at an angle, extra work = extra cash!! I say go with the tried and true set ups, but hey, being an inovater has its plus' also, as long as it works out right.

Quick Reply: 12W7 in Rear Deck, Yes or No?