Sponsored by:

JL Audio W7 - Is it worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-03, 11:02 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JL Audio W7 - Is it worth it??

Looking at the trend of subs being offered that handle 1000, 2000, 5bizillion watt, etc.. What do you really get when you buy a W7, IDMAX, etc...? Besides bragging rights of having one, what does it offer that a more pedestrian subwoofer design cannot offer?

Are we just talking SPL here, or is it a rare combination of SPL and SQ? I've been going back and forth about what to do about subs in my car, I could put TWO 10W3v2s in my car or I could put ONE 12W7 powered by my 500/1. Is it even fair to compare the resulting output between the two setups? I'm not in competition but just want good sound quality that I can hear AND feel.

I'm not a car audio expert, so please explain it to me is a little more detail than "The W7 is the shiznit!!"
Old 04-26-03, 11:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

though there are many versions of subs that promise spl/sq there is no way to cross the two. they are two completely different actions the sub must take. the sq sub must be quick, light, and efficient in motion.

the spl sub is the exact opposite. it must be built like a tank, have the maxium amount of excursion, and take enough wattage to power a small house.

a true spl sub does horrible at sq and vice versa. if built right, they are built exactly opposite of each other. the w7 is an spl sub. looking at it's design you can see it has an enourmous amount of excursion or "throw" to it. the large magnet and thick reinforced cone suggest it is not very efficient and probably slow in comparision to a true sq sub.

I could put TWO 10W3v2s in my car or I could put ONE 12W7 powered by my 500/1
Without enough power to really juice the w7, the performance would suffer and possible detonation from heat caused by underpowering it into distortion. Your best bet @ 500 watts is the 10w3's.
Old 04-27-03, 11:31 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Thanks for the explaination, would you say that the W6 falls into the same SPL class as the W7? It looks similar.

Originally posted by onelasttry
though there are many versions of subs that promise spl/sq there is no way to cross the two. they are two completely different actions the sub must take. the sq sub must be quick, light, and efficient in motion.

the spl sub is the exact opposite. it must be built like a tank, have the maxium amount of excursion, and take enough wattage to power a small house.

a true spl sub does horrible at sq and vice versa. if built right, they are built exactly opposite of each other. the w7 is an spl sub. looking at it's design you can see it has an enourmous amount of excursion or "throw" to it. the large magnet and thick reinforced cone suggest it is not very efficient and probably slow in comparision to a true sq sub.

Without enough power to really juice the w7, the performance would suffer and possible detonation from heat caused by underpowering it into distortion. Your best bet @ 500 watts is the 10w3's.
Old 04-27-03, 01:32 PM
sld
Driver

onelasttry, are you saying that the W7s don't have good sq? WOW, everything I've read and heard from owners say the SQ is incredible. Hmm, interesting to say the least.
Old 04-27-03, 02:12 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Actually a W7 is a SQ sub. It goes low as they come, and is quick as they come. I will soon test its SPL with a Viper 2500. I heard a 12" with 1000watts in a demo room, it was shaking the entire store. I have a 13.5" with 2000+ watts, Ill let everyone know the outcome.
Old 04-27-03, 04:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

onelasttry, are you saying that the W7s don't have good sq?
certainly not, they are a fine sub and JL has spent many years in the sq ranks. they do infact have good sq, but they are nowhere near a true sq sub IMO. they aren't built like one, they dont sound like one. I've been in over 15 showrooms and 50 cars with them and it just doesn't hold up to a true sq sub on jennifer warnes music or anything otherwise used to test sq. it's quick for it's size, but not that quick.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-27-03 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-27-03, 04:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Actually a W7 is a SQ sub. It goes low as they come , and is quick as they come. I will soon test its SPL with a Viper 2500. I heard a 12" with 1000watts in a demo room, it was shaking the entire store.
Hemo, the only problem i see with that statement is everything you said was about spl.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-27-03 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-30-03, 02:14 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

yea i have heard a couple of W7's also. But the boxes they were in have been ported, so it might have been a little sloppier than a sealed. It seems like the beat lags a little bit, its kinda hard to explain, but when the bass is suppose to hit, there is a slight delay before it actually does. But they are LOUD as hell. I'm running subs that are pretty SPL (2 12" diamond TDX) and thats how i like it, just loud. However, there is a lil bit of SQ to them. I think that most subs such as ID MAX, W7, and TDX, are all extremely well built subs that are made to handle a lot of punishment. They might not be true SQ subs, but they sure dont sound super sloppy like some 15" subs out on the market and they can be as loud if not louder then the 15" subs. But thats juss my 2 cents...i mite be wrong...