Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Considering In-dash 7" inch LCD for SC..Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-03, 12:46 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Considering In-dash 7" inch LCD for SC..Suggestions?

Hey CL Brothers!

I'm considering to purchase a 7" inch in dash LCD (preferrably with DVD, MP3, VCD and touch screen functions) for my SC400..Any recommendations? If the price is right I'll jump to the deal..Post some pictures up of your setups please..

I have seen a few a ebay, prices ranging for 500 dollars and 1300...I have no knowledge of car audio or multimedia of any kind..I hope someone can point me to the right direction..

Will a Aftermarket LCD headunit fit the OEM SC400 Nakamichi system? I'm considering to keep my system because I'm still in love with it...Good balance of power and clarity when tuned the right way..

Another question, is in-dash LCD easy to steal? I don't want people bashing my window at night trying to steal my headunit..

I already did numerous searches and I couldn't find anything!
Old 05-05-03, 02:37 PM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was researching this myself....hit me at founders@legendarylegendz.com
Old 05-05-03, 03:57 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Right now I have an Alpine CVA-1005 about to get installed and its gonna be hooked up to a PS2, but from what i've learned, Alpine has the top of the line screens. Other companies do them too like Kenwood and Panasonic, but Alpine, if using other Alpine components is the easiest to use and works the best. I was talking to my installer and he told me the install was gonna be pretty tough. Although our decks are double DIN, if you look close, the head unit slims down towards the bottom. If you are installing a fold out unit, it is only gonna take up one DIN of room, so you will have to fabricate a dash kit to fill the rest of the space. I think Eclipse makes a 2 DIN screen that doesn't fold up and is touchscreen, but for security, a retractable screen will probably be the safest. I don't know too much about the difficulty of the install, but I know you will need to use a wiring harness for that head unit, and i think if you replace the stock head unit some parts aren't gonna be compatible. Anyone with more experience than me could probably help you, and maybe in the electronics forum could help more than here. Hope I helped.

James
Old 04-17-04, 12:23 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

back from the dead thread,,
can some SC members that have this install post pics of there systems, i am interested. thanks.
Old 04-17-04, 03:06 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I ended up getting the CVA-1000 but hopefully will upgrade to the 1005 soon because I think I found a buyer for the 1000

Anyways here are some pics of my head unit that I posted in another thread when I got it all installed.

Open, hooked up to the PS2, watching a DVD

Closed, stealthy, not noticeable to passers-by

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anything about my setup.

James
Old 04-18-04, 08:31 AM
twankys
Driver

Default monitors

i have the kenwood kvt 910 dvd....its touch screen dvd tv its the older one i had it for a bout 4 years and have no problems with it....but they have the kvt 911 which is the newer one not sure if its mp3 i know its got satellite radio though....kenwwod also has a the music keg which stores all your cds on hard drive...not exactlry sure how it works but it also works with the two units.....ive got a cd changer in the trunk hooked to mine so i can listen to music and watch movies at same time....its only 6.5 inch monitor but its retractable which is nice cause with the monitor retracted it doesnt look like a fancy radio just has a few buttons.....but mine is installed toward the bottom so when the screen comes out its right above the shift ****....so when i flip the screen up its not in my center vents it just covers up the a/c screen but heres a link to a photo of it.....i can take more or let you know more about it if interested.....me personally i prefer kenwood over the alpine but then again it just depends on which one you have you get used to them and when you use another its mind boggling.....let me know if i can help anymore

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...=502&password=
Old 04-18-04, 10:03 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Kenwood has a Double din that plays Dvds and cds. The only thing I dont like about is the colors. I like the elipse fold out Head unit the 8533 It has Picture in picture so when your listining to the radio or cs you can watch a dvd or camera on a small screen in the corner.
Attached Thumbnails Considering In-dash 7" inch LCD for SC..Suggestions?-im-ddx-7015-lrg-2004-kusa.jpg  
Old 04-18-04, 01:51 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Here's my Pioneer. It's only 6.5" but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Considering In-dash 7" inch LCD for SC..Suggestions?-hu2.jpg  

Last edited by Vegassc400; 04-18-04 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 10:39 PM
hawk
Driver

see if you like this:

www.avic-n1.com
Old 04-20-04, 06:57 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up best screens

eclipse has the best resolution, pioneer is the best for user friendly, alpine is a pita in my opinion, simply due to the items needed extra for things to work, plus fairly pricy, have had all three, and the eclipse still works perfect after 5 years in my mustang