Sponsored by:

lack of frequencies

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-03, 09:28 PM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lack of frequencies

is it true on the recent gs models you can't hook up an aftermarket amp and new speakers using the factory deck. because using a low output converter will not give you the full frequency spectrum?
can someone shed some light or explain how to obtain full frequency spectrum using low level converter.
i understand the factory radio or deck itself is actually just like a slave unit that is linked to the factory amp.
with a data cable and from the factory amp the crossover splits up all the signals and frequencies.
any help or feedback will be appreciated.
thanks
Old 05-12-03, 09:20 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: lack of frequencies

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ISDINGDONG
[B]is it true on the recent gs models you can't hook up an aftermarket amp and new speakers using the factory deck.

***There are two sets of preouts, one for the CD and one for the tape/radio am/fm. Tapping off of them isn't too hard, it's having both sets work nicely with an aftermarket system that's the trick.***

because using a low output converter will not give you the full frequency spectrum?

***Depends on the converter. They're not all the same.***

can someone shed some light or explain how to obtain full frequency spectrum using low level converter.

***Buy the best possible. That doesn't include Navone Engineering. I'd recommend the Audiolink Powerlink II converter. If I remember correctly, these are available at Crutchfield. Haven't seen another built like these!***

i understand the factory radio or deck itself is actually just like a slave unit that is linked to the factory amp.
with a data cable and from the factory amp the crossover splits up all the signals and frequencies.

***There are passive crossovers for the tweeters, but pretty much everything else is done by the amp. Main head unit is the controller while some of the logic is on the amp.***

Percy
Old 05-12-03, 09:55 AM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

thanks for the response and info. percy.
have you heard of the soundgate low output converter brand?
i've heard some very good things about soundgate converters.
what do you think of the soundgate as compared to the audio link ii as you've mentioned.
also alot of people hooking up aftermarket amps and new speaker to the factory decks they find alot of
the mid to low mid bass is missing or lacking. i have the same thing done to the is300 and its day and night with an aftermarket head unit.
thanks
Old 05-12-03, 11:52 AM
Percy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ISDINGDONG
[B]thanks for the response and info. percy.
have you heard of the soundgate low output converter brand?

***Never heard of them. Do you have a link for any info?***

i've heard some very good things about soundgate converters.
what do you think of the soundgate as compared to the audio link ii as you've mentioned.

***I'd have to see the specs, etc.***

also alot of people hooking up aftermarket amps and new speaker to the factory decks they find alot of
the mid to low mid bass is missing or lacking.

***Not surprised. Some speakers will cause a severe loss of midbass (MBQ ime) while some will have a much better representation of midbass (Dynaudio).***

Percy
Old 05-12-03, 02:23 PM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

hi percy,
here is the site, try it and see what you think.
please let me know what your opinions are on this one. why is it so expensive? is it that much better?
http://www.soundgate.com/products/li...put/type-2.htm
thanks
Old 05-12-03, 08:57 PM
Percy

I just took a look at the Soundgate unit. Two words come to mind. MARKETING FLUFF. No specs other than "designed by engineer at avionics and defense". NO HARD NUMBERS. The only one that I know of that will publish their distortion and frequency response numbers are the Audiolink converters. Even Navone Engineering won't tell you what's in the box, and they sell for MOOCHO bucks just because of Navone's name. I took one of the Navone Engineering units apart and it was full of components that had their markings sanded off. Plus the build quality (if you call it that) was QUESTIONABLE at best. I'd stick with Audiolink.

Percy