Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Audio ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-03, 01:07 AM
supermodel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Audio ?'s

Does anyone know the specs for the 1994 gs nakamichi 7 speaker package system? as in...speaker sizes? front/rear door speaker size? front tweeter size? and rear subwoofer size? also...is the brand pioneer? Just been thinking if its worth to replace all OEM audio system to an alternative...
Old 05-11-03, 04:16 AM
Rover
Pole Position

What do you mean, "is the brand pioneer?"
No, the brand is Nackamichi, if you did not have the Nackamichi set up
then your OEM speakers and system would be Pioneer.
Old 05-12-03, 01:56 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the Nakamichi setup.. your looking good. The sub is 11' the opening if removed can accomodate a 12' sub (this is what i have in mine) The front speakers are components with i think 5.5 or 6' in the doors. The amp is supplying 100 watts to the sub and 40 watts to the doors. If you upgrade your system. Do the doors last or not at all. They sound great and can handle 40 watts RMS.
Old 05-12-03, 10:37 PM
supermodel

I have the Nakamichi Deck... Just courious if I should upgrade the entire system in the near future.
Old 05-13-03, 06:44 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

What you upgrade is up to you. My personal opinion is that if you are changing one thing on a stock system, whether it be a BOSE, Mark Levinson, Nakamichi or the stock Chrysler system in a Neon...you should change it all.

Every audio system installed in a vehicle stock has the components matched for their optimum potential as a complete unit. By changing just a deck, you change the balance of the system. Sometimes it works, usually it doesn't. People think it sounds better, but really, it just sounds different.
Old 05-13-03, 07:48 PM
supermodel

i agree... i also have a 1997 nissan cima(inifiniti q45) with the Bose System. I've heard nightmare stories that once you remove the deck the oem speakers will not sound the same...thanks!
Old 05-14-03, 01:23 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default speaking of systems

What's everyone's opinion on the stock Pioneer system? Summer time's coming up and I don't want to end it with blown speakers. So far I've been pretty impressed with the Pioneer system, but if it isn't up to the usuall summer cruising duties then I'd better start researching some alternatives. Any thoughts?
Old 05-14-03, 04:50 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: speaking of systems

Originally posted by Leets
What's everyone's opinion on the stock Pioneer system? Summer time's coming up and I don't want to end it with blown speakers. So far I've been pretty impressed with the Pioneer system, but if it isn't up to the usuall summer cruising duties then I'd better start researching some alternatives. Any thoughts?

Really? You're impressed with the Pioneer system? The difference between the Pioneer and Nak systems are like night and day. Meaning i was totally unimpressed with the Pioneer setup a few of my friends have. But maybe i was bias cuz i heard the Nak setup first.

Supermodel .... unless you are going to put a serious competition system in your car, the Nakamichi interior speakers will sound great with an aftermarket HU, Amp, Sub.. My Kenwood Amp is sending 40watts RMS to the interior speakers and they handle the power at full volume.
Old 05-14-03, 03:26 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: speaking of systems

Yeah Leets you are kind of scaring me a little bit with that statement. lol

I understand what you mean, though when you think about it it isn't so bad, it has decent FM with preset scanning, the tape deck (although useless for most) has Dolby B AND C (rare) with skip, search and repeat. And the CD player displays the time I believe I don't have it - most stock CD changer stereos just display the track from that era...+ it has a bunch of features too like random.

But turn up the volume and the stock speakers quickly show signs of stress and the bass just isn't there most of the time.

If you like the headunit I think I have worked out a way to replace the amp and maintain the integrity of the system, thereby allowing you to get better speakers to greatly improve the sound reproduction.

Rico and 007 make a good point that it is all designed to work best as a system and your best results would come from replacing it all.

Originally posted by Leets
So far I've been pretty impressed with the Pioneer system
Old 05-14-03, 07:56 PM
supermodel

Does anyone know where I can get a double din or single din bracket for the 1994 gs300? Or is it something that I will have to get custom made...?
Old 05-15-03, 09:25 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Default hold on

Don't you have the nakamichi system? Why don't you just bust out some new speakers in that and see how it sounds? Also refresh my memory does the NAK in the 1st gen have two amps or one? If you are going to ditch the system shoot me a PM....no rush but I'm stuck with the tape deck over here.

Nobody makes the dash kit you are looking for. There is one for the ES but guess what, it doesn't fit.
Old 05-16-03, 12:32 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

K, let me clarify... As far as stock systems go, my only real experience has been with Monsoon and Honda. Compared to those the Pioneer IS a damn good system. Unfortunately I've never hear the Nakamichi system so I have no comparison there. The only other factory system I've heard that excedes the Pioneer would be the Mark Levinson system I experienced at the SC430 premier (damn, I want that car). I have a friend that wants to do a complete Diamond Audio set up in my car, but like you've all said, the system works best when it's all completely matched. I don't want to invest in some new speakers and find out that even though they're far superior than stock, the improvements will be minimal due to their incompatibility with the stock head unit. I also don't want to sacrifice the clean, simple look of the center stack by shoving in some adapter plate and a flashy single DIN unit. So now what would you suggest? Oh, and please keep in mind that I am a student living on a student's income.
Old 05-16-03, 12:40 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

I would suggest that you go ahead and do the rest of the system and leave the Factory head in for now. I think what you will find is that it will work and it will be satisfactory, but the factory head will not give the input voltage that the amps will want (goes back to that whole matching thing).

A good upgraded deck doesn't have to be flashy. Put a Nak after-market in like a TD-35Z or 45Z (tape deck). This will give you a voltage increase that your stock Nak won't do. You had a concern about the single din... okay, now add the Nak MB-70 indash 6 disc changer, this will give you a clean looking double din unit and give you the capability to use both tape and CD. Both of these units are black with green illumination to match the rest of your dash. They are also not flashy and if installed with some care, will look stock.
Old 05-17-03, 07:14 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Any suggestions on where to get one of those decks?
Old 05-19-03, 09:11 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

the nakamichi website should list all the dealers in your area. Are you going to get a nak deck? That is going to be sweet! let us know if you need some help.

Quick Reply: Audio ?'s