Sponsored by:

Dynaudio system & install

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 08:18 PM
CANADAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaudio system & install

I have just installed the Dynaudio 240 Mk ll's and the MW190 into my GS.

240's-
All I can say is amzing! I tried to find a negative apsect to this speaker, but simply I can't. The speakers are so alive, they make old CD's fun to listen to. Worth every dollar and bar none the best speaker I have ever heard.

Install was easy and straight forward. Thanks to Percy for the great write up and illustrations in his book. Worth getting even if you don't plan installing the speakers yourself. Makes for good reading.

MW 190-
Unfortunately, Im very disapointed with this sub. We installed the sub into the factory enclosure. I want to keep the sub there due to trunk space. The sub was hooked up to a JL Audio 500/1 We auditoned the speaker but it sound like itwas broken. My first thought was that we must have installed the sub improperly. We quickley went over the setup and found no problems. I was left puzzled, the sub sounded awful. A sub at this price should not sound like this.

We began to play investigator. We installed the original sub thinking that amp may have a problem, we adjusted the gains, we also made sure the MW 190 was properly sealedto the deck of the car. Still no fix. We then mounted the MW 190 in a box, and tried it. Now the sub sounded great but thats not what I wanted. I want an Infinite Baffle setup!

One very interesting point was that when we initially tried the sub in the box it didnt work well. We sealed the factory enclosure and thats when the sub worked to its potential. It seems that the GS has a dead wave to the trunk. Iv'e heard of this problem on other cars. If we leave the factory hole open the sub works poorly, if we close the opening the sub sounds great. Weird!

Well this is kinda off topic because I dont want a boxed sub,I want to utilize the factory opening.

Can anyone help?
Old 05-15-03, 05:57 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Great write up CANADAGS400. I emailed dynaudio on their website a couple of days ago asking about the MW190 in a free-air environment. He wrote back that it can be used in a free-air setup but he stresses that the trunk must be completely sealed off from the passenger compartment(which you did just that, so I am puzzled on why it sounded like crap). He also mentioned that it will reduce the amount of power it can handle in IB(100-125 continous, instead of 200 that you can get from a sealed box). He recommended a 1.8-2.2 cu ft sealed box.

What are your dimensions of the box? Now that it is sealed, and the rear deck hole is covered, how does that sub sound? Does it have some good "punch" to it? Did you install the box all the way in the back of the trunk?

The dyn speakers are getting better and better the more I play it. The guy also said it needs around 100 hours of moderate playing time before it gets to its maximum potential.

What kind of amps are you using to power everything?

Last edited by D-MAN63; 05-15-03 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-15-03, 06:33 AM
CANADAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Im running JL Audio 300/2 for 240's and a JL Audio 500/1 for the sub. Lots of juice.

The box that I tempoarily installed the 190 into was approximately 2 cu ft. The sub sounds great in the box and is extremely responsive.

The person who emailed you about the trunk needing to be completely sealed off is absolutely right. It was so strange, I ran the sub in the box and it had no sound or very little. I took 2 x 1 high density board and sealed up the enclosure temporarily. Like magic it now worked extremely well. My installer said that he has seen this before. He once worked on a thunderbird and found that with the windows down the car had good working bass. As soon as closed the windows the base was gone. I guess its just one of those things. I think they call it a dead wave.

Well, this is my proposed plan. As much as I dont want to get rid of the MW 190, Im going to try a JL Audio infinite Baffle sub. After work today Im going by my installers place where he has two of these subs that he is not using. I will give them a try and post the results.

JR
Old 05-15-03, 09:39 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

I have two MW190's I'm selling. Does anyone know what they go for on the used market?
Old 05-15-03, 09:45 AM
CANADAGS400
Driver School Candidate

How did you have them set up? Why are you selling?

JR
Old 05-15-03, 12:08 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh Canada:
Careful. The JL 10IB4 IB sub has been used by many here, easy install, but you're not going to get huge bass out of it. Supposedly, the bass is just OK, but that sub is easily overpowered by a 500/1 if you're going to try to get more SPL out of it than it can linearly produce. Depends on the kind of music you listen to. You may want to consider other subs as well, there are a few higher power, better quality subs that will also work infinite baffle. You have the amp power. Search the threads here, I know this has been discussed, can't recall the picky details.

If you're a Dyn guy, you may not like JL subs. W6 & W7 are ok to me, but less than that I can't be in the same room with. You might be better off with a 10" Boston Pro if it'll run in IB, or something like that.
Old 05-15-03, 12:36 PM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

canada, are you using the factory deck with line output converters or you installed an aftermarket deck?
just wondering.
because i hear that you will not be able to get much mid bass response from the factory deck with the dyn's. just curious how yours turned out.
Old 05-15-03, 12:37 PM
CANADAGS400
Driver School Candidate

I noticed you run the IDMAX sub. Do use it in a box or is it being used in the factory opening? What does your sub sound like?

JR
Old 05-15-03, 01:29 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

It is in a 1.5 cu ft sealed enclosure. The woofer itself weighs 28 pounds, not for mounting in the deck alone. (I have a couple of pics of it in the member galleries under engin_ear). I've suspended it from the rear deck, but due to its weight (60 pounds, sub + box), this was no easy task. This is not what you had in mind.
Sounds incredible. I can get clean high SPLs out of a single woofer, and the IDMAX is, for me, a great combination of SQ and SPL, as they also like to advertise. The thing has a 25 mm Xmax and a 3.7 inch Xsus. It met all of my requirements for a one-woofer system.

You might consider the smaller IDQ V2 10" sub in a small sealed box, they only need 0.25-0.50. You should be able to hang this under deck easily and fire through the stock hole.. Check out www.imagedynamicsusa.com
Old 05-15-03, 01:52 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

The IDMAX is perfectly capable of IB play. If you're wanting to spend less money, the Elemental Design e12A has had some good feedback regarding IB use. Either sub will give you more output than the Dyn, and they should sound quite good.
Old 05-15-03, 02:21 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

I'd be very leery of physically mounting an IDMAX in the rear deck stock location of the GS without quite a bit of reinforcement. The deck is thin sheet metal, not very capable of handling the mechanical torque that the IDMAX will throw at it when accelerating or turning. Load needs to be spread if you attempt this.
Old 05-15-03, 03:31 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

Originally posted by CANADAGS400
How did you have them set up? Why are you selling?
JR
I had them in enclosures in my old car. They are VERY nice and clean but need 10 inch woofer now. These are 12's. They are just sitting on my shelf collecting dust.
Old 05-15-03, 05:51 PM
DPGS430
Driver

Congrats on the 240's I'm also running them and installed them myself (thanks percy ).

I'm also running MW170's in the rear doors as mid bass's.......went the sealed box route with my subs in the trunk. With my install I have all the room I need.

Kicker Hooked-up

Jim
Old 05-16-03, 01:59 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DPGS430
Congrats on the 240's I'm also running them and installed them myself (thanks percy ).

I'm also running MW170's in the rear doors as mid bass's.......went the sealed box route with my subs in the trunk. With my install I have all the room I need.

Kicker Hooked-up

Jim,

Do you still have the templates you used for your front face of the subs and side panels? I'm looking to do something very similar and a template would save me a lot of time in my trunk with cardboard and a razorblade
Old 05-16-03, 08:25 AM
DPGS430
Driver

Originally posted by Stealther
Jim,

Do you still have the templates you used for your front face of the subs and side panels? I'm looking to do something very similar and a template would save me a lot of time in my trunk with cardboard and a razorblade
My templates were trial and error. I didn't use any cardboard, but did use a 1/4" MDF. The side panels and lower piece are actually built around the box. Also, the box is 18" deep.

Jim

Quick Reply: Dynaudio system & install