Sponsored by:

Factory crossover??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-03, 01:48 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory crossover??

Hi guys, I was wondering if somebody could answer a question for me I have a '96 SC300 with the Pioneer headunit. I'm replacing the speakers and amps, but want to keep the stock appearance. I will be using a line driver to up the voltage out of the back of the HU. My question is, "Is there a crossover built into the HU that creates the sub output, or is it full range and then LP filtered at the sub amp"? Should I use a line driver for the sub out, or can I just use a crossover on the "mains" output for the sub amp?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-15-03, 03:17 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

How much are you going to bump up the voltage?

To answer your question, the crossover is in the stock amp. Don't you have the wiring diagrams? Send me your email in a PM if you need them but I got them off this site. I am probably going to do the same thing in my GS so I'm interested in how it sounds when your done!!
Old 05-15-03, 04:13 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

I'm planning to use the "Matrix" 6ch line driver from AudioControl (or possibly two of their "Overdrive" LD's). They should be capable of bumping up the miniscule voltage out of the HU to 7-8 volts. I'm using Soundstream amps which can take from 2-5 volts. I'll play with various settings until I find the setup that sounds best.

As for wiring diagrams, I have the pinouts, but nowhere does it mention where the crossover is located So I did some experimenting today and confirmed that the signal going into the subwoofer amp is indeed a full range signal. That means I can use the sub outputs on the main amp and not have to run another cable from the HU for the sub I just need to check now and see if the amp's sub out is non-fading or not.

I'm going for the full "stealth" look. I don't want to give up any trunk space, I just want better sound I've been taking pictures of my progress and will post 'em when it's complete.