Sponsored by:

One IDMAX12 / JL Audio 1000/1 Amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 08:15 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One IDMAX12 / JL Audio 1000/1 Amp

Hey guys need some help here. I tried doing a search function on here to find out some more info but I couldn't find any. After installing my dyn's(240/160) and my JL IB4, I am satisfied with how my dyn's play but I am unsatisfied with the low end. I am really leaning toward the IDMAX12 with the JL audio 1000/1. I already have 2 Caps installed in my car so I don't have to worry about that. Now the main reason I am hesitating on this setup is TRUNK SPACE and what kind of box I should use.

My question is to the people who have or saw an IDMAX12 installed in a GS before.

1) What kind of box do you use? Any particular GOOD brand I should look for?

2) Do you still have use of the spare tire? This is VERY VERY important to me, being able to have use of the spare.

3) I was thinking if I can fit the IDMAX12 right in the BACK of the trunk, where you have that little "shelf" like section (right in the back where the stock woofer hole is). I have absolutely no idea how big the box is going to be. What is the best way to install the IDMAX12 for SPL? SQ?

4) With one IDMAX12 playing at maximum potential with a capacitor installed, does it still drain(lights dim) a good amount from the alternator/battery?

Thanks for the help guys !

Last edited by D-MAN63; 05-21-03 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 10:39 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Default IDMAX enclosure

I've just install my IDMAX 12 in a sealed subzero enclosure that is made for an Adire Brahma single 12 and works very well it's very compact with 1.2 cu. ft. volume but it weighs 50lbs.
http://www.ampmanaudio.com/products/details.asp?id=979
Old 05-21-03, 02:19 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In my setup, I have 2 subs hanging from the rear deck without box. the advantage is that it takes less space and virtually requires no EQ since there are no frequency peaks that a box would give me. In order to have such setup the front of the sub should be separated from its back. Thus, they call it an Infinite Baffle (IB) setup. In order to make this work you would have to cut your rear deck to the size of the 12". I doubt you would want that. IDMAX 10 is also out but ID is waiting on parts to make a few batches for sale. A few of my friends are running 10's already and they sound really good.
Old 05-21-03, 08:30 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys for the replies. At first I was thinking about a single 10w7 but the price of that is too high for that sub. The price of one IDMAX12 is a very good deal compared to any W7's.

LS400, currently I have two Voodoo caps running my dyns/IB4. I got them for dirt cheap from a hookup. I was thinking about setting up the IDMAX12 under the stock 10" hole, but I would need a lot of modification to support the weight of that sub plus alot of installers in my area didn't recommend that because it was so heavy.

SKPARK70, do you have any pics of the installation? I am assuming you have a GS right? If so, did you mount that in the back of trunk where the little shelf space is? 50 pounds for a sub box is really quite heavy but it looks nice though.

Retrodrive, can you give me some specs of the IDMAX 10? In terms of continous power handling? I can't seem to find any specs for that sub on any site, or maybe I am looking at the wrong places. In my situation with wanting to keep trunk space, the best bet is to wait for the IDMAX 10 to come out and install it in IB right under the stock 10" hole? I know that the IDMAX12 sub is HEAVY, what kind of reinforcement did you have to construct to make the subs hang from the rear deck?
Old 05-22-03, 01:37 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have no specs on the 10" on me right now From what I remember it handles 1kwrms and has an excursion of IDMAX 12 or even more. In my setup I pretty much cut out the whole rear deck, installed a 1" MDF baffle in it's place and screwed it down with bolts (also used a lot of fiberglass, silicone and bondo). After that I had a professional welder reinforce the MDF baffle with a few metal bars. Isn't the stock GS opening 10"? you can pretty much drop the IDMAX 10 in there and reinforce with some mass loader (any sort of Mat). I can notify you when the woofer is out. If I get all the info on time I will try to slip a few guys on a priority order list.
Old 05-22-03, 07:12 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Come check me out at the shop Diesalman....I could give you some ideas!!!
Old 05-22-03, 08:57 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63

SKPARK70, do you have any pics of the installation? I am assuming you have a GS right? If so, did you mount that in the back of trunk where the little shelf space is? 50 pounds for a sub box is really quite heavy but it looks nice though.
Sorry, don't have any pics yet.
I do have GS but IDMAX is in my SC.
Old 05-24-03, 02:55 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys for the reply .

Retrodrive, I am sure looking forward for the IDMAX 10. Please do keep us informed.

Dagr8tsthustla, I will be seeing you in June when I get the alarm .