Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Mark Levinson - Bass and Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-03, 08:45 PM
Houston GS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mark Levinson - Bass and Subwoofer

I recently bought a 2001 GS 430 with the Nav and ML sound system. I have always been a bit of an audio nut and was aware of the incredible amps Mark Levinson used to design when he owned the company.

Heres the question - The bass seems really lacking from the system. I turn up the bass to +4 (+5 is max)and it sounds normal. During play the subwoofer is barely moving when you touch it from the trunk. I have fine British speakers in my home system and they are kind of similar to the ML system in that they don't add a lot of mid to high bass - very accurate. The Levinson system will play the deep bass when the source signal really calls for it. But it just seems you can not set the bass too high. I have not had the chance to listen to any other Lexi with the ML system to compare.

I brought the car back to the Dealer under warranty and said I did not think the subwoofer was working, but they said it was? Is this just the way the system is set?

Thanks in advance and I really enjoy reading the posts in ClubLexus!
Old 05-29-03, 10:59 AM
audiogil
Rookie

Default bass

dude theres nothing wrong with your bass. thats just the way the engineers designed this particular system. the "mark levinson" version of the sound system just means that it is a little better than the standard sound system. if "YOU" are not content with the bass then "YOU" need to upgrade to aftermarket products that come to "YOUR" liking. you might just be used to listening to louder bass thats all
Old 05-29-03, 02:53 PM
Houston GS

Thanks - but never mind. It turns out the sub has not been working at all. I brought it into the dealer when I first got the car a month ago and I said "check the subwoofer - I don't think it is working". I also had it in for several other items. When I picked it up the tech note was "Subwoofer is working". So I put up with it for a month and then saw that the woofer was not moving at all and figured that was a little to passive. I brought it back yeasterday and said "this thing is not working at all". They said yep and ordered me a new one - should be in tomorrow. So in my case I guess the bass was a little weak. I am excited to hear it with a functioning subsoofer.
Old 05-29-03, 03:03 PM
audiogil
Rookie

Cool sub

cool