Sponsored by:

Is the Lexus Nav Adaptive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-03, 02:23 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Lexus Nav Adaptive?

I'm new to the Lexus Nav having just bought my RX 330 three days ago - but I've noticed some wierd quirks already, - like the Nav taking "strange" routes to my destination - I have to take a backstreet to get to the alley that leads to my house - the first night it tried to take me to the front of my house (street address) but after making the trip once it now leads me to the backstreet. My question is this: does the nav remember the way you drive to certain locations and attempt to follow those directions in the future? Does it learn from your previous trips?
Old 05-26-03, 03:19 PM
eyebike
Driver

It would be nice if the NAV system was adaptive, but I don't think it is. Reviews on these Nav systems tend to find they have quirks and don't always give you the most logical route or the most convenient. It can't supplement intimate knowledge of the area that one gets by living there. That's the problem with GPS and computer based Nav systems. However, when you are in a strange area, it's better than nothing, IMO.
Old 05-27-03, 07:48 AM
NeuroNull
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by eyebike
It would be nice if the NAV system was adaptive, but I don't think it is. Reviews on these Nav systems tend to find they have quirks and don't always give you the most logical route ....
You mentioned "Reviews" ...
Do you know by the chance where can I find reviews on car's on-board/build-in GPS systems?
Thank you.

Last edited by NeuroNull; 05-27-03 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-27-03, 07:05 PM
eyebike
Driver

Consumer Reports just a review on GPS navigation systems in their latest issue. The review was basically about portable GPS systems, like the Garmin Streetpilot III. Here's a couple of things they said.

If the benefits of a navigation system appeal to you, built-in systems--available with many new cars or as an aftermarket add-on--provide the most convenience and features. The best built-in systems are easier to use than portables and are integrated into the dashboard. Those available in Acura, Honda, Lexus, and Toyota vehicles include a touch-sensitive screen for entering information. The systems in some Acuras, Hondas, and Infinitis allow you to simply speak certain commands, which reduces distraction. If you’re buying a new vehicle, the $2,000 price of these systems can be rolled into the vehicle financing.

The best navigation systems can be handy driving aids in certain situations, but they aren’t perfect. We’ve found that while they eventually guide you to your destination, they don’t always do it along the most efficient route. We’ve also found rare errors in either the routing or in the map database.
Old 05-27-03, 09:16 PM
NeuroNull
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by eyebike
[B]Consumer Reports just a review on GPS navigation systems in their latest issue. The review was basically about portable GPS systems, like the Garmin Streetpilot III.
OK. Thank you eyebike!
I'm using on-board laptop + external GPS receiver. My GPS software is also voice-driven and GPS itself works very precily with quick cold start. I'm very happy with my setup. I saw GPS software for Lexus and I found it not really user friendly and intuitive. Infinity's/Nissan's GPS software much much better. Just my personal opinion.
Old 05-28-03, 08:24 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by NeuroNull
I saw GPS software for Lexus and I found it not really user friendly and intuitive. Infinity's/Nissan's GPS software much much better. Just my personal opinion.
That's interesting. Most people say the opposite (Lexus better than Infinity). Just curious, but what is it that you like more about the Infinity Nav than the Lexus Nav? I haven't played with the Infinity Nav, so I can't comment on it.

John
Old 05-28-03, 09:30 AM
NeuroNull
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by j4ydubs
..... Just curious, but what is it that you like more about the Infinity Nav than the Lexus Nav? ...
Map. Map on Infinity/Nissan's Navi more detailed, angled-positioned that makes map appearance 3D-like for a realistic view of the road ahead, split-screen zoom-in for precision location, and some other interesting visual things like 3D graphical points of interest and so on. I saw that the Lexus Navi Map is flat and less detailed. But I could be wrong becase I do not know how many visual modes Lexus navi map has. Again, it just my personal opinion based on what I saw.

Infinity/Nissan Navi system ->

Last edited by NeuroNull; 05-28-03 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-28-03, 01:58 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

Default infinity nav is better

I test drove the FX 45 before buying my RX 330 and that was one of the few things that was indeed better about the Infinity - the 3-D Nav is pretty cool - but doesn't have touch screen - also the rearview camera on the FX has hash marks on the screen that better guage the distance and vehicle width - but even that couldn't convice me - the RX 330 drove much better - felt more luxurious, and the cargo area in the RX is much larger.

Last edited by jeffknet; 05-28-03 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 05:20 PM
NeuroNull
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: infinity nav is better

Originally posted by jeffknet
.... Infinity - the 3-D Nav is pretty cool - but doesn't have touch screen ....
Are you sure Infinity Navi system does not have touch-screen interface? This is very interesting....
I'm not sure about FX, but I saw navi system on Q45 and also on Nissan Maxima and both had touch-screen interface. Or, it possible, what I saw might be something else ...

Last edited by NeuroNull; 05-28-03 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 09:35 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

I drove the FX45 and the Murano and both did NOT have touch screen - they had the directional button
Old 05-30-03, 09:22 AM
NeuroNull
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by jeffknet
I drove the FX45 and the Murano and both did NOT have touch screen - they had the directional button
If it so, I think what I saw was somethig else.